< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema  (Read 3853 times)

Offline JH65

• NFOA Full Member
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Evidently the new Alamo Draft house Cinema opening in LaVista will be a gun free zone. Stating that   "Due to Nebraska law, we are unable to allow any licensed citizens with a legally concealed firearm to enter into our facility because we serve alcohol."
 Wondering how many of this group will comment on their Facebook page, letting them know how much more business they could have.  I've seen several members comment.  Can we get several hundred more?!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
If Alamo Draft house Cinema makes makes more than 51% of their income from sales of alcohol, then they fall under state law as a banned place.

If that is the case here, the management does not have any say in the matter
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JH65

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
Agreed. Keyword being "IF".  They made this call because they will be serving alcohol, not because of 51%.   Between ticket sales, concessions, and food, I'd be very surprised that 51% will be alcohol sales. Then again. Can't say before it opens. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
I actually RESPECT their response and my interpretation is "Hey the problem is not personal it's the stupid law ... call your Senator."

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Quick Win here. 

The owner of this LaVista location just contacted Justin and I asking us to call him.  I just got off the phone with him and he claims there was a misunderstanding by the guy handling the facebook page.  The owner, Tyler Calabrese, tells me that he absolutely will not restrict carry and is a CHP holder himself.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
Can the owner confirm the 51% question
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
Can the owner confirm the 51% question

Do you REALLY want to know the answer to that question? No signs leaves it up to the guess of the customer. Like JH65 said..."IF". Maybe this is a dog that should be allowed to lay quietly.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Do you REALLY want to know the answer to that question?

Yes, otherwise I would not have asked

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »
I have often wondered about the 51% rule.
Is it 51% of gross profit, or 51% of total revenue?
How could a business that has not even opened yet answer that question?

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
I have often wondered about the 51% rule.
Is it 51% of gross profit, or 51% of total revenue?
How could a business that has not even opened yet answer that question?

Greg58
Projections in a business plan. That business is a science when it comes to projections they should know how much they should be making each night off of each seat in the place.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Gene Kelly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
I wonder:  Is the 51% rule constitutional?   After all, isn't it impermissibly vague as to how the calculation is to be performed?  And, isn't it irrational to requires the permit holder to make a conclusion based on facts not available to the public (i.e. is this establishment making more than 51% of money from liquor sales... at any given time, and over what interval)?

But, how does one establish court standing without first being place in jeopardy via arrest, confiscation, and fine/jail?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:27:09 PM by kelly »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »
I wonder:  Is the 51% rule constitutional?   After all, isn't it impermissibly vague as to how the calculation is to be performed?  And, isn't it irrational to requires the permit holder to make a conclusion based on facts not available to the public (i.e. is this establishment making more than 51% of money from liquor sales... at any given time, and over what interval)?

But, how does one establish court standing without first being place in jeopardy via arrest, confiscation, and fine/jail?
You are correct in that we are put int he position of having to guess the income percentages for a restaurant before carrying in that location. I believe we had an bill before the unicameral that dealt with this issue this year by requiring the facility to post a sign indicating if they were over 50%. However, I don't think it went all that far.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Gene Kelly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
I'm thinking the prohibition on carrying at a "political rally or fundraiser" is also unconstitutionally vague.  What constitute a "political rally"?  A sign protest?  Petition gathering? When guys sit around drinking coffee and talking politics?  When the number in the "rally" is more than three?  Or, if someone passes a hat for donations?

Is there text of changes we (NFOA) want to add to/modify the CC statutes?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:21:48 PM by kelly »

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »

Is there text of changes we (NFOA) want to add to/modify the CC statutes?

Yes....I think that most of us would scrap at least half of it....or rewrite the entire thing.  There were a couple of bills this year that aimed at making some changes to the Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit act but none of them gained much steam.

In my opinion the Nebraska Legislature doesn't make firearm bills much of a priority because so few people contact their state senator to voice their concerns.

I also spoke with the owner of the Alamo Draft house via messenger...still waiting on a returned call.  I initially saw someone posted on facebook that they were not going to allow ccw....I went to the facebook page, asked the question differently, was told that they had spoke to other locations & the lavista police & decided to not allow it... after a few more exchanges the post disappeared & we received messages that it is allowed & the person in charge of their Facebook page misspoke.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
Yes, otherwise I would not have asked

So you find out that a particular business has 51%+ of revenue from alcohol sales when you previously could not be expected to have reasonable knowledge of this.  What have you gained except knowledge that preempts you from carrying in this establishment where before you could have argued that there was no way to know. Obviously, you could not argue that you were unaware a business which only sells alcohol and peanuts would be off limits to CC, but if it is a business where there is a reasonable doubt...why ask?

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »

Why ask? To generate discussion of the 51% rule. 

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »

Why ask? To generate discussion of the 51% rule. 

Understood, discussion is good/informative. Though this can be done without business specific information. As they say, ignorance is bliss, or at least in this case ignorance is a potential defense in charges related to carrying in a prohibited place.

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
or at least in this case ignorance is a potential defense in charges related to carrying in a prohibited place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

It should be for the following reasons:
http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1031

Just like the percentage of income attributed to the sale of alcohol cannot be factually known unless the owner posts his financials on the door (thus making a "no guns" sign his easy way out - by design of the drafters of the legislation no doubt), it is not possible to know all the laws which carry financial or prison punishments.  How many people know that picking up a feather off the ground makes them liable for heavy fines and prison time IF.the feather is from a protected species?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
The owner, Tyler J. Calabrese, tells me that revenue projections for alcohol are maybe 22%.

Now we know.