< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Minnesota no longer recognizes Utah  (Read 3509 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Minnesota no longer recognizes Utah
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »
Since I have not seen it posted around here anyplace, Minnesota no longer recognizes the Utah permit.  It was one of four that they dropped from their list of recognized permits.  Others also dropped: Texas, Missouri and Wyoming.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Minnesota no longer recognizes Utah
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
They seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »
the Minnesota gun rights group is happy about the law that they got changed that is partially responsible for this.  They got like six or eight new states that they recognize and got reciprocity signed with North Dakota so they now can carry in all of their border states.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »
I've never been able to explain why they recognized Utah and not Nebraska in the first place...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
Bummer.  'Twas the only reason I had a Utah permit.  :( 

Now it appears my best option is to get a non-res MN permit, which is a moderate hassle. 

The NE and MN AG's need to get together and fix this. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:16:31 AM »
I was just up there last month and had no idea. This was the main reason I got a UT permit as I travel to Minnesota on business several times per year.

My recollection is that Nebraska's reporting of prohibited persons based on mental illness doesn't line up with Minnesota's.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
Hmm, this really sucks.  I have family in MN and travel there frequently and carry using my Utah permit.

The MN law changed the requirement of the reciprocal state's law from being "substantially similar" to simply "similar".  I wonder if that would qualify the NE permit for MN recognition?

I am now considering a MN non-resident permit, but that is a pain in the butt because you have to submit the permit in person...I am generally in MN for holidays and such when the sheriff's offices are closed.

I am thinking more seriously about getting an IL non-resident permit now, since MN recognizes IL.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »

I am thinking more seriously about getting an IL non-resident permit now, since MN recognizes IL.

Unfortunately NE residents CANNOT get an Illinois non resident permit...

Only residents of the following states have been determined by ISP to be substantially similar to IL in CC requirements:   Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:08:03 PM by Chris Z »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150813/minnesota-dps-announces-updated-list-of-out-of-state-handgun-carry-permits-recognized-new-information-for-your-state-permit

This gives some information on this issue.  But it doesn't say why the state doesn't recognize Nebraska permits.  Based on the information given though I'm guessing someone here who knows more than I do about our permit system can figure it out, and maybe we can find a way to resolve it.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
Unfortunately NE residents CANNOT get an Illinois non resident permit...

Only residents of the following states have been determined by ISP to be substantially similar to IL in CC requirements:   Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia.

Thanks for the info.

It seems silly to me that they will only issue non-resident permits to residents of states with substantially similar laws to IL.  If a non-resident is going to sit through a 16 hour IL carry permit class with only IL state information being presented, what bearing would their home state's laws have on carrying in IL under IL laws?  It's nonsense.

Oh well, guess I will have to get a MN non-resident permit.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150813/minnesota-dps-announces-updated-list-of-out-of-state-handgun-carry-permits-recognized-new-information-for-your-state-permit

This gives some information on this issue.  But it doesn't say why the state doesn't recognize Nebraska permits.  Based on the information given though I'm guessing someone here who knows more than I do about our permit system can figure it out, and maybe we can find a way to resolve it.

I would like to see NE's permit recognized by MN, but that probably isn't going to happen.  I am surprised that MN got around to reviewing its reciprocity list.  When I was living in MN and held a MN PTC, the law stated that the commissioner of public safety was to review the reciprocity list annually, which wasn't ever done--making many permit holders mad.  Evidently changing the phrase in the law from "substantially similar" to "similar" prompted the review.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »

Generally, states that don't recognize Nebraska's permit are due to the lack of an established number of hours of training.  Nebraska basically says that the class should be long enough to cover the material.  Other states specify 8 hours or 16 hours, for example. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
I like so many others here have the Utah permit because of travelling to Minnesota....maybe its time we look at spending our vacation/tourism monies in other (reciprocal) states.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline H2O_King89

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
That is the only reason I was going to file for Utah.  But thank goodness I didn't waste money on it. 

Offline tguil

• Forum Member
Minnesota no longer accepts Utah permit..now what?
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
Minnesota no longer accepts the Utah permit. My only reason for having the Utah permit was to carry in Minnesota.

I read the Minnesota law about an out of state person getting the Minnesota permit. That's not an option for me.

Any suggestion for getting a permit from a state that that Minnesota will honor?

What would Nebraska have to do to gain reciprocity with Minnesota?   Nebraska honors the Minnesota permit.  Why doesn't Minnesota honor the Nebraska permit?

Maybe it's time for Nebraska to drop Minnesota from it reciprocity list.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
Seems like there's possibly a simple, uncomplicated solution here:

For Ungunfriendly Businesses, the Forum recommendation has often been just not to patronize those businesses.   Don't go there.

So maybe when we encounter UnNebraskaGunFriendly States, we should just not go there.   Either.

FWIW..........I haven't been to Minnesota all week.

Just Sayin'..................

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
....maybe its time we look at spending our vacation/tourism monies in other (reciprocal) states.

I repeat.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
Any good reasons to keep the Utah permit? From what I can see, you only gain GA. and Washington. My Utah is coming due in a couple of months.
bigdog

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »
Yes! It's only $15 to renew for 5 years...... You never know what could change between now and then. If you let it expire and then a year from now let's say MN and UT agree to a reciprocal agreement.... Then you will be stuck taking another class again and paying for a new initial permit

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »
Yes! It's only $15 to renew for 5 years...... You never know what could change between now and then. If you let it expire and then a year from now let's say MN and UT agree to a reciprocal agreement.... Then you will be stuck taking another class again and paying for a new initial permit

What he said.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »
That sounds like a good reason to renew.

Thanks
bigdog