< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Commuting to firing range question  (Read 1449 times)

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
Commuting to firing range question
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:15:52 AM »
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked, but I haven't really found any information I can make sense of.

I want to get to a shooting range to begin practicing with my handgun before I take my CCW class in the future. I have lots of experience with M4m/M16 a few machine guns, and 50 Cal machine guns, but have never fired a handgun.

How do I legally transport my handgun and ammo to a shooting range? I think the best answer I've heard is put it and the loaded magazines in a case and put it all the way in the back of my suv, but I've also read what seems like it would be ok if I carried it unloaded in plain sight on the front seat.

Thanks for any reply

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Commuting to firing range question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:23:28 AM »
You are correct on both modes of transport. Either...

1) Unloaded, cased, and inaccessible by passengers, or

2) Can be loaded, but must NOT be concealed which means in plain sight.

I called the NSP years ago when I got my first handgun and asked that question. The officer I spoke to suggested that if you get stopped, to place the pistol on the dash. However, I would make sure this is done well before the officer walks up to the vehicle. Personally, I think having it in plane sight could cause more complications than it is worth.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
But, if travelling through Omaha, with no CCW, you'd better have it registered in Omaha or risk being busted for it, correct?

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
That is a concern as well. I live in Omaha, but am not inside city limits, so I didn't have to register with OPD, and would like to avoid that if possible.

Although, the Omaha part may not be hard to get around. I live on pretty much the border of Douglas and Sarpy County and am thinking about going to Bellevue to practice.

I may be wrong, but I've seen a few things about the bullet hole that kind of turned me off, unless they're not true or things have been changed.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
But, if travelling through Omaha, with no CCW, you'd better have it registered in Omaha or risk being busted for it, correct?

I aint no lawya... but...

PASSING THROUGH ? No.  Do not 'have' to register.

If you STOP within Omaha, then you're 'expected' to register.

I also imagine gas stations are probably not considered 'stopping'.

This appears to be the Omaha Municipal Code concerning firearms:

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/images/stories/agenda/ID%2011_10_18/Law/1202.pdf

OPD's site at http://opd.ci.omaha.ne.us/services/citizen-services/handgun-registration  claims the following:

Omaha Municipal Code 20-251 requires that all concealable firearms inside the city limits of Omaha be registered. Regardless of where a person resides, concealable firearms inside the city of Omaha are required to be registered with the Omaha Police Department.

I imagine a sawed off 12 gauge could be considered 'concealable' as well....  :-\ but anyway, means handguns-ish.

Reading 20-251... wow.  Just wow.  Draconian b.s.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:03:14 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »

Yes...good point barmandr. I always forget about the liberal island we call Omaha.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Omaha question, the city expects "concealable" firearms that may only be passing through to also be registered.  There is of course the Federal exemption for interstate travel as long as all the required steps are taken (unloaded in locked case separate from ammo in trunk or not accessible to driver or passengers etc.).  Unfortunately if you are driving from say Blair to Bellevue you are not in interstate travel because that only protects people moving from one state to another...

The city has ticketed people who have been stopped on the road for various driving offenses that have had firearms in their vehicles for the registration violation.  Does not happen often and there is the officer discretion thing going here but if he is not happy with your attitude or something else is going on you could get a ticket for failure to register while driving down the road.

Obviously the CHP exempts you through the preemption clause in state law for those with CHP and the exemption in the City ordinance.

We really need LB 289 passed so everyone is safe.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
The city has ticketed people who have been stopped on the road for various driving offenses that have had firearms in their vehicles for the registration violation.

They...someone... actually... wait.... what ? My head hurts.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
They...someone... actually... wait.... what ? My head hurts.

Person A gets stopped for a taillight being out. Officers notices a gun case laying on the backseat and asks Person A about case. Person A tells officer they have a handgun in said case, gong to range etc. Officer asks to take control of firearm "for his safety", see firearm cause he is gun nut, or possibly "is that registered".  Officer runs serial # to determine if stolen and check registration, if not registered along with ticket for tail light being out Person A get ticket for failing to register and their firearm is held/destroyed by the police.

Of course that does not mention the people that lay the gun on the dash, openly on the seat beside them and are now having issues with Omaha's open carry permit on top of there not being registration.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
Seriously guys, Im all for training, but if you can point your weapon in the right direction, you can pass the live fire portion of Nebraska CCW testing. Get your ccw card, then you can carry in omaha with no worries and get all the range time you want.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
Well that's good news.

When I saw there was a live firing range portion to the class, I immediately thought of all the ranges I had to go to in the Army to qualify with my weapon.

Guess I should just look at taking a ccw class soon then.

Anyone have any particular suggestions for that? In the way of one being better than the other? I know the prices are all about the same, but what about level of instruction or going to a class that would give me a ccw permit for multiple states.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
My advice is to take a class that covers the Nebraska and Utah permits. My personal favorite Instructor is Chris Zeeb. He has a presence here on this forum and is an excellent instructor.
WØCHF

Offline bradhaas

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:46:51 PM »
Utah is a popular permit here, but I think you only get three more states with it now.  I don't know if I'm going to bother.

I liked Rod Moeller's class for Nebraska CHP.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I took my CHP class from Chris Zeeb. He does a good job. His partner, Roger Terrell, also teaches CHP classes. If you want a Utah permit, too, they do it on the same day as the Nebraska class.

Since you are in the Omaha area, you could also consider
  • Precision Response Training (jthhapkido) in Plattsmouth for Nebraska CHP and other classes
  • SemperFiGuy may teach a Nebraska CHP class this fall at the Papillion Gun Club

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:07 AM »
I've attended multiple classes offered by Chris Zeeb and jthhapkido of Precision Response Training.

They are both top-notch, outstanding instructors.

Sean Whittington (now with Signal88, I think) is also outstanding.  Sean is an Omaha PD EMT, working w/the SWAT Team.   In his everyday work, he sees blood in the streets.   Now that's credibility. 

It's a real pleasure to be in the classroom of a solid, knowledgeable firearms instructor who (a) really knows his stuff and (b) delivers it in a straightforward, compelling manner.   Any/all of the above instructors happen to fit that mold.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
The life-fire qualification is only at 7 yards. If you've ever used a handgun before, and can use one without accidentally shooting yourself, you shouldn't have any trouble.

I took Chris Zeeb's class, he and Roger lead a fun class and do both Utah and Nebraska. Though there's not much reason to get Utah anymore since Minnesota stopped honoring Utah's permit.

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
I have never shot a handgun. Just m4, m16, a couple machine guns, and a 50 Cal machine gun.

I actually went to a range today, and after my first magazine, which was getting used to the trigger and sight picture, every round was on target from 7-9 yards out.

No worries for me about the live fire portion after today.

As for classes, I think I've seen the most responses about Chris Zeeb. So I'm gonna look at their schedule and try to get to one of their classes this fall.