< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone use a NiB coated BCG?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Wm Jones 2650

• Forum Member
Anyone use a NiB coated BCG?
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
Hello, Anyone use a Nickel Boron coated parts? I Bought a NiB BCG for my A2 and stared second guessing myself. It was on special and I've been looking. Did I goof up?

Here's the like to the product page so you can see it yourself.

http://arbarrelkings.com/collections/specials/products/223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-nickel-boron-finish

I'm looking for some input from someone who used one for a bit.

Thanks

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone use a NiB coated BCG?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
What are you worried about? Price? quality?

NiB will help with clean up and a bit on wear... umm it's silver.... The parts look to be made out of quality materials. How the machining look?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
NiB can stain/discolor and in the rare case flake off as it is a coating, but I do have a few I bought from AIM surplus and they run fine.

Right now my top choice would be a melonite/nitride treated bolt carrier group

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=723&name=Bolts+%26+Bolt+Carrier+Groups
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »
I use an AIM NiB in one of my SBRs. It's works good. It's tarnished, but functions. Buy once, cry once. I don't like skipping on things when they go boom by my head.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
I have a couple NiB carriers but have not had any problems with either. 

I would recommend educating yourself about NiB and how it works.  NiB has a high number of microscopic high points.  Because the high points make all the contact, there is less surface area for friction to occur. The problem with this is once the high points wear down the coefficient of friction increases due to more surface area being contacted.  NiB is not self-lubricating like Teflon.  If you see wear on the high points, NiB has lost its friction fighting capabilities.  Additionally, these high points and their corresponding ridges tend to capture carbon fouling.  A NiB carrier will require more cleaning than a NP3 carrier, for instance.

If you're building a gun with an eye toward a relatively high round count, I agree with Dan, the Melonite coating is probably the best on the market today.  Melonite actually bonds with the steel on a molecular level.

Offline Wm Jones 2650

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the good info, lot to consider.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »
I use an AIM NiB in one of my SBRs. It's works good. It's tarnished, but functions. Buy once, cry once. I don't like skipping on things when they go boom by my head.

Me too. I use it in a SBR that I mostly shoot suppressed, clean up is very simple- carbon wipes right off. I also shot it for about 400 rounds with no lubrication at all when I first got it. Zero problems.

I wouldn't consider them a necessity, but in my experience they offer a few benefits and no drawbacks (other than a little more $$).
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Wm Jones 2650

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
Ever used a Bumpfire stock? Found one at a nice price but don't need more unusable stuff.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Ever used a Bumpfire stock? Found one at a nice price but don't need more unusable stuff.

personally, no.  i think they are kind of cool but not cool enough to own and look ugly.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official