< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Multi gun question  (Read 1097 times)

Offline mike_p

• NFOA Full Member
Multi gun question
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
I want to try mutigun at ENGC's next match. I've never shot mutigun before. I was wondering about the shot gun stages. How many reloads do most people carry? What are you using to carry shot gun reloads?

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Multi gun question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »
I want to try mutigun at ENGC's next match. I've never shot mutigun before. I was wondering about the shot gun stages. How many reloads do most people carry? What are you using to carry shot gun reloads?
Ally of it depends on the capacity of your gun. Max start is 8+1. I've shot the last 2 matches. The first one required very little reloading a couple rounds in each stage including slugs don't forget to bring slugs! The next match one stage had no reload then the next stage was all shotgun and was 26 target. I had 2 shell caddys that I brought and 1 I barrowed from another shooter. Then I stuck some in my pocket to be safe which I then forgot about during the stage and left some target standing.

So in general I think if you can carry 8 rounds on you and start with 9 in the gun you should be just fine. Plan on 1 or 2 reloads.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
It really depends on the stage designers choices. Like tstuart said, always bring slugs, just in case.

You want a shotgun that can hold 9 in the magazine, optimally. Normally, on a loaded+chambered start, that 9th round won't be needed (since you can only load to 8+1 if you aren't shooting Open). However, on a loaded & unchambered start, that 9th round can come in real handy... And makes it so you don't have to ghost load. (Division capacity is always 9 rounds regardless of loaded chamber or not)

I would recommend a minimum of 2 shotgun shell holders on your belt (or chest rig, if necessary). The easiest to learn and get fast with are probably the load 2 type. Here's an example: http://www.makereadyproshop.com/taccom-duaload-8-up-shell-holder-12ga/ Note: These do not include the mounts, you must be those in addition to this!. You grab two, in line, and load them simultaneously. It requires a lot less practice and is generally faster than grabbing a handful and loading one at a time (the "old" method). The only downside is that the shell carriers are inexplicably expensive. You can probably easily sell them if you don't like them, however.

But if you want to save some money and try the sport out with some less expensive shell carriers, you can try these (which I have): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2394267180/california-competition-works-shell-caddy-tactical-shotshell-ammunition-carrier-12-gauge-6-round-2-3-4-and-3-shells-polymer. They work well but are considerably slower and more practice-intensive to get fast than the "load 2" type.

Hope this helps some!

Offline mike_p

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. The load 2 she'll holders are out of my budget for now. Not to mention I can count on one hand how many times I've shot my shogun, so I doubt I'll be doing much speed loading. I may get the California competition Works ones, but I'm not sure if they will arrive in time for next Sunday. I may just pick up one of the pouches that trap shooters use to get by for the 1st match. And slugs,  just remember to by slugs...