< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Good sign for the library  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Gene Kelly

• NFOA Full Member
Good sign for the library
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
I recently wrote my local library, Papillion's Sump Memorial Library, requesting they remove their no-guns firearms sign.  I pointed out that the law has changed since its posting some years ago (per 18-1703).  Besides, public no-gun zones are dangerous.

The librarian agrees and will remove the sign shortly.  However, she is looking for a new sign indicating the new policy.  Does anyone have a sign source where I can buy the sign (and present it with a thank you)?  (perhaps, 6-8" in diameter, applied to the interior of glass doors)  Not a humorous sign, but something official looking.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Good sign for the library
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
no sign = good sign
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:25 PM »
 I think a sign in favor of carry would just make the anti gunners have something to get upset about
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
I think a sign in favor of carry would just make the anti gunners have something to get upset about

this is my feelings exactly.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
THIS ESTABLISHMENT
ALLOWS THE EXERCISE OF
ALL CONSTITUTIONAL
RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
As a Papillion resident, I thank you for your effort. Any chance of getting the city building across the street to do the same thing?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:06:39 AM by Waltherfan »

Offline Gene Kelly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 02:11:21 PM »
If they want a new sign to replace the decade-old sign, maybe this works.  Otherwise the suggestion of "No Sign = Good Sign" sounds like the best policy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:20:43 PM by Gene Kelly »

Offline Gene Kelly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
If they want a new sign to replace the decade-old sign, maybe this works.  Otherwise I think the suggestion of No Sign = Good Sign is the best policy.

I didn't realized City Hall had a prohibited sign on it -- maybe since the days it was also the Police Station, or prior to the 2006 statute (18-1703). Of course, the third floor is the City Council meeting place (where CC is prohibited by statute); but, that doesn't require a sign.  Maybe a "reminder" sign would be good so I don't forget and enter the meeting carrying. 

I can't think of any other reason for the prohibited sign on the entire building.  Anyone else?

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
There is no need for a sign where concealed carry is legal. Posting one would draw unwanted attention. Out of sight is out of mind. On the other hand, where it is not legal even with a permit, it's polite to post a sign.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »
First, good for you Mr. Kelly for being the precipitous of change. Second, a sign would be a mistake. As several have already stated, no attention is good attention. All it takes is one hoplophobe to get excited and gather together with others of like ignorance to start some kind of official complaint.

Be happy with your win, but enjoy it in silence and without signage.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
As a Papillion resident, I thank you for your effort. Any chance of getting the city building across the street to do the same thing?

The city building across the street is not marked.
  If it is tell me which door. 
Mayor Black
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:16:23 PM by Dave1215 »

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
I didn't realized City Hall had a prohibited sign on it -- maybe since the days it was also the Police Station, or prior to the 2006 statute (18-1703). Of course, the third floor is the City Council meeting place (where CC is prohibited by statute); but, that doesn't require a sign.  Maybe a "reminder" sign would be good so I don't forget and enter the meeting carrying. 

I can't think of any other reason for the prohibited sign on the entire building.  Anyone else

City Hall is not posted. 
Also, it is legal on 3rd floor, even in Chambers .. Unless an official meeting is going on, then prohibited by state statute. 
Mayor Black
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:16:50 PM by Dave1215 »

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
The no carry sign is not on the Library anymore.

City Hall has not been marked for a long-time; however, the Library was until very recently.

The Library was under a slightly different governance structure with an independent Board of Trustees; however, with a recent change by the City Council to that governance - the Library Board is a advisory role and the building now the same as any other city building under Administration.

With that recent change I could then have the sign removed so it is consistent with City Hall.

NOTE:
If you are looking at the Library in your own town and going to talk to Administration about any concerns or issues it will be important for you to understand if your local library is "Governance" or "Advisory".  State Legislature authorized both models and the local municipality chooses.  If "Governance" the Mayor/Administrator can't help much as you'll need to go the Library Trustees.  If "Advisory" then the Mayor/Administrator should be able to help.

Mayor Black

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
I got to thinking about this.  The library really should have a "Shhh ... Please Silence Your Firearms" sign with a picture of a suppressed pistol on it. :D

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
I finally went back to city hall in Papillion (had to pay my water bill) and the signs were gone  :)
Even better, when I drove by Parks and Rec, that sign was gone too!!
Dave's the MAN  8)

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
.  The library really should have a "Shhh ... Please Silence Your Firearms" sign with a picture of a suppressed pistol on it. :D
LOL i liked that i am still chuckling
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”