< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A crime definition most people don't think about much...  (Read 2207 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
A crime definition most people don't think about much...
« on: September 18, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
I recently attended an instructor development course with Tom Givens, and unsurprisingly found in it a number of interesting things to think about.

One of the interesting things discussed was what exactly "aggravated assault" was---and how the name itself tends to make us not clearly think (from a self-defense perspective) what it actually MEANS when someone commits that particular crime.

I wrote about it, because it occurred to me that perhaps I'm not the only one missing that particular important point...

https://precisionresponse.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/crime-definitions-you-should-think-about/

I always knew what "aggravated assault" meant from a legal perspective--but I hadn't really thought about it from a self-defense perspective.  And that's something I should be doing...
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: A crime definition most people don't think about much...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:35:09 AM »
Enlightening.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
Nice article that does make you think about what people are charged with and why the prosecutors might be using that approach.  It also changes the view of the statistics as well.

Thanks!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
Enlightening.

Ditto.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
While we're at it, another omnibus crime charge beloved of prosecutors is Terroristic Threats.

Covers everything from bomb threats made about airliners all the way down through and including domestic quarrels between unmarried live-ins.   

And is a felony, to boot.

sfg
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:27:05 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
And is a felony, to boot.

It can also be a misdemeanor. I know of a guy who got involved in a dispute between his neighbors and some strangers who were harassing them. He made some aggressive statements during the confrontation which the strangers were shrewd enough to record. That got him a felony charge of terroristic threats which his lawyer was able to get reduced to a misdemeanor and probation.

The lesson to be learned here is not to get involved in other people's problems. If you can't do that, call the police and stick them with the job of protecting the victims. If you are already involved, try to get your friends and yourself behind locked doors on your own property. You need to present a picture, by word and deed, that you did everything you could to avoid trouble. That sets up the aggressors for charges.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
It can also be a misdemeanor.

Yes.  It's very flexible.   That's why it's so beloved of the prosecutors.

The lesson to be learned here is not to get involved in other people's problems. If you can't do that, call the police and stick them with the job of protecting the victims. If you are already involved, try to get your friends and yourself behind locked doors on your own property. You need to present a picture, by word and deed, that you did everything you could to avoid trouble. That sets up the aggressors for charges.

Advice that is so very rock solid that I'm taking the liberty of repeating it here.   
NE CHP holder Carl Heng, who recently shot and killed Robert Lane, probably now wishes that he had instead just called 911 and then stayed at home to watch TV.   Now he's in a Great Big Heap of Trouble.   Maybe 20 years worth, or so.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer