< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 180 day waiting period for CCW?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline str8shooter

• Forum Member
180 day waiting period for CCW?
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
Hello All!

I moved to Nebraska (Omaha) from Los Angeles a few months ago. After 2 months staying with family here, got my own place and NE drivers license. Recently took/passed the concealed carry class, bought a new handgun for CC....and noticed on the form to apply that it states new NE residents must wait 180 days to even apply :o . Having been here 2 months prior to any bills/lease/ID being issued. When does my 180 days actually start?

Also any out of state permits that I may be able to apply for here that have reciprocity in NE.
Thanks!

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 180 day waiting period for CCW?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »
Easiest way is to go by driver's license issue date, at least that's what I did.

Utah's permit is a common and easy one to get here, but only because it gains you Minnesota. However, I've heard Minnesota just dropped support for Utah's permit. I'm not sure if there are any other out-of-state permits which are worth anything to a Nebraska resident.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
If I understand it right, you have to have a CHP from Nebraska first. So you are out of luck with Utah as Nebraska recognizes it.

What Must Accompany the Application?

•A Photocopy of your Driver License

•Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau of Criminal Identification for a $15 fee.

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

•Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.

*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT.) The cost is $15.00 for 1 photo and $15.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.
•Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. No exceptions. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.
D.R

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »
If you are a Nebraska resident you MUST have a Nebraska CHP
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline str8shooter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
Easiest way is to go by driver's license issue date, at least that's what I did.

Utah's permit is a common and easy one to get here, but only because it gains you Minnesota. However, I've heard Minnesota just dropped support for Utah's permit. I'm not sure if there are any other out-of-state permits which are worth anything to a Nebraska resident.

Dang, so it looks like I won't be eligible for 8 full months after moving here. Ouch! I wonder why they force new residents to wait so long. Anyone know?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
Dang, so it looks like I won't be eligible for 8 full months after moving here. Ouch! I wonder why they force new residents to wait so long. Anyone know?

the Judiciary committee won't allow many pro-gun bills out.  the NFOA is fighting to change that.  we can use all the volunteer help we can get.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
Did you have a permit in another state that Nebraska honors? If so the waiting period is waived

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/media/10076/recognitionofconcealedhandgunpermits.pdf

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf ( see section 005.01G )
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »
Dang, so it looks like I won't be eligible for 8 full months after moving here

Not much consolation, I know, but it's actually 6 months.

Notice I didn't say only 6 months.   Six months is a long time when you're waiting.  For anything.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline str8shooter

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »
Did you have a permit in another state that Nebraska honors? If so the waiting period is waived

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/media/10076/recognitionofconcealedhandgunpermits.pdf

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf ( see section 005.01G )

I do not. So after taking the class, buying a holster and new cc carry gun....it will be 6 very long months.
How can I volunteer to help?

Offline str8shooter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 11:38:41 PM »
Also when I called the State Patrol Omaha and Lincoln, neither could tell me why I had to wait 6 months/why this is a requirement. My 2A rights are but a dream for now :/

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »
to volunteer.... just ask and watch the forums or facebook or twitter.  any way you can help is a benefit to us as an organization.  money is nice, but your time is better.  make sure to join our monthly breakfasts in Gretna.  those breakfasts are a great way of meeting new members and talking guns, etc.  everything is kind of calm now, but the discussion really ramps up during the Legislative sessions.  Make sure you're a Full Member so you can access the Member's Only section.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
Also when I called the State Patrol Omaha and Lincoln, neither could tell me why I had to wait 6 months/why this is a requirement. My 2A rights are but a dream for now :/

The definition of Resident is spelled out in Nebraska Tax Code.

Resident. A resident is an individual whose domicile is Nebraska, or an individual who is physically present in this state and maintains a permanent place of abode within this state for an aggregate of more than six months. Nebraska residence will be determined by Nebraska law. If an individual maintains a permanent place of abode in Nebraska and is present in Nebraska for at least 183 days during the tax year, that individual is a Nebraska resident even if domiciled in another state. For this purpose, Nebraska considers any part of a day spent in Nebraska as a day spent in the state.
D.R

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
How can I volunteer to help?
Great question!  The first thing you can do that WILL have an impact is to write a letter to your senator and tell them about your experience and your frustrations.  Be blunt and honest about how you feel.  Remain respectful, but tell them how you feel and how you are impacted by a law.

This does get a reaction.   Senator Crawford was contacted by a frustrated constituent concerning similar aspects of the CHP Act and residency requirements.   Her Legislative Aide contacted me to discuss the letter to gain some understanding about the issues raised in his email.  Most senators do take communication from their constituents seriously.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »

There isn't much they could say since they did not make that decision.  NSP was tasked with administering the CHP program but did not create the law itself.  The senators in the legislature in 2006 decided to impose that requirement.  The NSP will not comment on the legislatures actions.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
Have you asked the State Police what they will accept as proof for start of the six month wait?   There may be a way to start the wait from when you arrived vs when you got a drivers licence.

The other possibility is are you military?  If I remember right there are exceptions in place for military moving to the state.

John K

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
I forgot to provide a link for how to find / contact your senator.....

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/senators/senator_find.php

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
From one of the old ones, I remember the 6 month debate.  The primary reason it is there is because in order to be a resident (see tax code quoted above) you must be in the state for that period of time before becoming a "resident." Nebraska only issues permits to residents (those with military orders automatically have residency per federal law) so it is difficult to get any changes to this.  A couple years ago we got the exception for those moving here from another state with a permit Nebraska recognizes but it will be very difficult to get it any lower.