< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW and liquor merchants  (Read 2908 times)

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
CCW and liquor merchants
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
Could somebody please put into persperctive CCW for liquor stores, bars, eating establishments that happen to sell alcohol, etc.  The law seems poorly writen with the 50% sales rule and permit owners I know (including bar owners) are confused on what's legal and what's not.   ???  Tks ahead.  Clinton.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

A-FIXER

Re: CCW and liquor merchants
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »
you stated it right unless you go to wiskey creek then unless posted you can carry they sell more food than booze...

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »
69-2441. Permitholder; locations; restrictions; posting of prohibition; consumption of alcohol; prohibited.

(1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

There is the law.  Looking at it, this would include bars, restaurants, and liquor stores since all of them require liquor licenses.

The tricky part is the "one half of its total income" part.  Businesses are not required to post such a sign, and I'd wager that the average manager does not know.  They might also provide a CHP holder with the wrong information (i.e., they say that they do not get 51% of their income from alcohol when they really do). 

Another issue is the "income" part.  The law does not state if they are referring to revenue, gross income, or net income.  From an accounting stand point, all three are very different.

My opinion (and this is not legal advice) is to use common sense.  Don't carry at a bar or a liquor store.  Restaurants are fair game.  Don't lie to yourself and say "Joe's Tavern serves french fries, so they're a restaurant, not a bar."  Abide by typical CCW etiquette and you probably won't have problems.
NRA Life Member.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
So grabbing a pack of suds after work on Fri night is just going to be a PITA. 
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
Well, If you can't survive a Friday without a beer,  you can always buy the suds at the grocery store, or  a convienience store...who buys beer in a liquor store?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »
I just have my wife pick my sud's up at walmart while she is checking for ammo  ;D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
I make my own beer.....
:D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
I just OC when I visit my local spirits retailer...... that's what he said to do.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
Jim, where do you shop that is chill with you OC-ing?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »
Beaver Lake Liquor.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.