< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Big Game Hunting With Semi-Autos  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Nebraska Big Game Hunting With Semi-Autos
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
I recieved a PM from a list member in responce to my post about getting a diffrent AR upper for deer hunting. His question revolved around just where the regulations concerning the use of semi-autos is listed and felt that the "offical" listing we have all read in the Neb Game and Parks publications (Semi-auto rifles capable of holding more than six rounds are not allowed.) meant that if a rifle like the AR being capable of using removable mags that can hold more than five are therefore not legal. I set out tonight to find just where this is fully explained or defined and was unable to do so. I did find though several discussions on line and in the Game and Parks own disscussion list where the question was answered. That being as I have always understood it
is handled by the same rules that shotguns are regulated. As long as the magazine of the weapon, be it attached or a removable box, can not hold more than five rounds or has been modified so it can not, it is then legal. The rilfe being then only capeable of holding six rounds total (5 in the mag +1 in the chamber) its legal. Of course the hunter must not have in the field or in his vehicle any other mags that are higher capacity. Any one else care to jump in here? Is there any place where this is written down chapter and verse or not? I will keep looking but so far it looks like its a matter of interpitation based on the "no weapon capable" one liner in the big game hand out. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Nebraska Big Game Hunting With Semi-Autos
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
This is how I have always understood it to be as well.  I asked Greg Wagner about it one time, he stated the same thing.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »
That was always my understanding.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
I have seen guys hunting with stock SKS's that had a home-made wood "plug" in the magazine so that only 5 rounds would fit in it.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »
Since Buying the ar, I wanted to take a deer with it. (I have a bolt .223 that I have tried for a few years to take a deer with to no avail.) But the ar is enticing, Anyway, if you look at the price of magazines for the ar, you can buy a 30 round mag for about 1/2 the price of a 5 or a 10. So I talked to a few people that were familiar with the law and the general consensus was to "plug" the mag. SOOOOOO what I did was take a kitchen scrubber sponge (bought in a 3 pack for almost nothing) cut it to fit in the box of the magazine, and the soaked it in water. After that I let it dry out and it was rock hard. Shoved it into the bottom of the magazine and it worked like a charm. No feed issues and now it only accepts 5 rounds. I actually had to use 1 and a part to get it long enough but it works.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
Good economical alternative for those that want to hunt with the AR15 (in .223).
http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CP5B

5.56 AR15 Magazine 5rd Aluminum CProducts
CProducts 5rd .223/5.56 AR15 rifle magazine. Mil-spec aluminum body. Made to the same specs as their popular 20rd and 30rd magazines. Chrome silicon magazine spring, gray Magpul follower, black Teflon finish.
Item Number : CP5B
This item is in stock and ready to ship!
My Price: $9.99

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:17:18 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »
Wildgoose is correct in his assessment of how the law/regulation is enforced. I am sure that was the intent. I personally do not like the way it is worded as it lends its self to abuse.

As far as I know there is no legal precedent set on this and all it would take is one citation by a hardass that doesn't like like evil black rifles and a conviction by an equally anti-gun Judge.

Don't tell me it is not possible either.

A strict reading of the law makes it illegal to hunt with any of the Remington 742, 7400 etc.. firearms as "they are CAPABLE of holding more than 6 rounds". 
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:52:58 AM »
one thing about this..... make sure your ammo has enough stopping power to be legal to hunt deer.  however, im not too familiar with the power of .223 rounds, other than they are fun to shoot stuff with.

i know cabelas has 5 round mags for AR's.  they were kind of pricey if i remember right.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure .223 is not legal for deer in Nebraska.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »
i think the rules state something along the lines of any caliber of handgun or rifle bigger than .22, as long as the muzzle velocity and power is over the limits set by the Nebraska Game and Parks.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
223 is allowed if the bullet weight is heavy enough and loaded right. It is the bare minimum. Do not use FMJ, and keep the soft points 55g and above.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »
From NE Game & Parks:
LEGAL WEAPONS FOR ANTELOPE and DEER
Firearm Season:
rifles that deliver at least 900 ft. lbs of energy at 100 yards;
handguns that deliver at least 400 ft. lbs of energy at 50 yards;
muzzleloading rifles .44 cal. or larger;
muzzleloadering muskets .62 caliber or larger, firing a single slug;
shotguns of 20 gauge or larger that fire a single slug;
crossbows that have a draw weight of 125 pounds or more.
Semi-automatic firearms capable or holding more than six cartridges are NOT allowed.

For an example, Remington Super-X Power Point in 64 gr. is listed at 1003 ft.-lbs. of energy at 100 yards, whereas the 55 gr. soft point has 921 ft.-lbs. of energy at 100 yards.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:07:37 PM by FarmerRick »

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
I'm glad you came up with the info to back me up Rick. Did they say how fast the bullets were travelling?

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
From NE Game & Parks:
LEGAL WEAPONS FOR ANTELOPE and DEER
Firearm Season:
rifles that deliver at least 900 ft. lbs of energy at 100 yards;
handguns that deliver at least 400 ft. lbs of energy at 50 yards;
muzzleloading rifles .44 cal. or larger;
muzzleloadering muskets .62 caliber or larger, firing a single slug;
shotguns of 20 gauge or larger that fire a single slug;
crossbows that have a draw weight of 125 pounds or more.
Modern Sporting Rifles capable or holding more than six cartridges are NOT allowed.

For an example, Remington Super-X Power Point in 64 gr. is listed at 1003 ft.-lbs. of energy at 100 yards, whereas the 55 gr. soft point has 921 ft.-lbs. of energy at 100 yards.

Fixed that one for you.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
223 is allowed if the bullet weight is heavy enough and loaded right. It is the bare minimum. Do not use FMJ, and keep the soft points 55g and above.

Just because something is LEGAL does not make it a wise thing to do.  .223 is not good bambi medicine, IMO.  If the deer is small, the range short, the bullet heavy for (.223) caliber and loaded hot, and if the bullet is placed precisely, and does not hit a rib at a bad angle and holds together instead of fragmenting the way small hyper velocity soft-points often do...... way to many "if"s and "and"s in there for me..... YMMV.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

A-FIXER

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
And you could do a head shot with it, and be ethical just like the zombie Head shots....

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »

Just because something is LEGAL does not make it a wise thing to do.  .223 is not good bambi medicine, IMO.  If the deer is small, the range short, the bullet heavy for (.223) caliber and loaded hot, and if the bullet is placed precisely, and does not hit a rib at a bad angle and holds together instead of fragmenting the way small hyper velocity soft-points often do...... way to many "if"s and "and"s in there for me..... YMMV.

My Grandfather took many countless deer(and coyotes, fox, and who knows what else) from the 1930's on with his Model 70 in .220 Swift.  Shot placement, as always, is key to an ethical and lethal shot.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »
with his Model 70 in .220 Swift.

Muzzle Energy levels for the .220 Swift are in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 percent greater than the .223  ...... the Swift in a model 70 would be capable of handling heavier bullets than an AR in .223: Apples and oranges.  True they are both fruit, but they are not even close to the same thing.

The OP asked about semi-autos and .223 .... Max OAL/case capacity problems prevent the heavier bullets from being pushed very fast from a .223 AR  ...... how does your Grampa's successful use of a .220 Swift support a position that the .223 is an acceptable deer round any more than my granny's apple tree in her yard support a position that I can grow oranges in mine?  I suppose I could build a greenhouse ..... or I could pick a more appropriate fruit tree for the climate......