< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Purchase permit and long time previous felonies?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
Purchase permit and long time previous felonies?
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
not for me, just curious (love my m&p full size and 9c, awesome guns and waiting on chp in the mail right now).

an older buddy at work was talking about how he had a felony from back in the 70s, not a violent felony mind you. was supposedly either drug related (70s right), or stealing from an employer when he was a teen.

he said he filled the form out and said no to the felony in the last 10 years since it was almost 40+ years ago when he got that felony, in which that specific charge isn't a felony anymore. how was he able to get his purchase permit without having to get the felony changed?

wondering if there is some kind of statute for nebraska concerning permit to purchase and lower felonies from that long ago, my biggest worry would be something happening if i go shooting with him and for some reason his ability to own a gun comes into question, even though they gave him the permit and he filled the form out truthfully.

Offline bennysdad

• NFOA-PAF Lobbyist, NFOA-PAF Website Content
  • NFOA Full Member
  • An Armed Society Is A Polite Society – Robert Hein
Re: Purchase permit and long time previous felonies?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
The background check is looking for violent acts, domestic, etc. The concealed handgun permit (CHP) will come with a background report of any negative report/actions. All you can do is wait until the report comes back. Either they get the CHP or not. Time is also a factor of how long ago these actions occurred.
“In a democracy, citizens are supposed to act as partners in enforcing laws. Those forced to follow rules without being trusted even for a moment are, in fact, slaves.” by Jaron Lanier

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
The background check is looking for violent acts, domestic, etc. The concealed handgun permit (CHP) will come with a background report of any negative report/actions. All you can do is wait until the report comes back. Either they get the CHP or not. Time is also a factor of how long ago these actions occurred.

so chp he probably wouldnt be able to get, but somehow still able to get a purchase permit?

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
if he cant get a chp he would not be able to get a buy permit  either . as most felon can't own guns ... if the question is no felony last 10 years and his crime from 40+ dose not exclude him from owning a gun then the permit will go threw IMO
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
he said he filled the form out and said no to the felony in the last 10 years since it was almost 40+ years ago when he got that felony, in which that specific charge isn't a felony anymore. how was he able to get his purchase permit without having to get the felony changed?

Unless he was pardoned, he can't legally possess a firearm under Federal law (or the ammo ) Must have been a false statement made at some point to get a purchase permit, or the scope of the background check was deficient. Either way I don't think he is legal
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

Unless he was pardoned, he can't legally possess a firearm under Federal law (or the ammo ) Must have been a false statement made at some point to get a purchase permit, or the scope of the background check was deficient. Either way I don't think he is legal

yea, something sounds fishy.  he better consult an attorney and get this straightened out.  if he falsified a document (whether on purpose or not), that could lead to a ton more trouble.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
yea, something sounds fishy.  he better consult an attorney and get this straightened out.  if he falsified a document (whether on purpose or not), that could lead to a ton more trouble.

thats something i mentioned to him, but his thoughts are that since he was able to attain the permit through them performing the background check, then he was ok to purchase and doesn't want to do the ccw because he thinks it will be a much more thorough check. he has reasons for not wanting to try and just flat out get the issue addressed, so i think i'll just stick to myself until its 100% in the clear in this case so i don't get caught up in a mess. i understand his want to have home protection that is simple and easy, etc, and that whatever happened, happened 40 years ago, just not the kind of mess i want to be involved with because i know hes a good person trying to look out for himself and his family when need be.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
thats something i mentioned to him, but his thoughts are that since he was able to attain the permit through them performing the background check, then he was ok to purchase and doesn't want to do the ccw because he thinks it will be a much more thorough check. he has reasons for not wanting to try and just flat out get the issue addressed, so i think i'll just stick to myself until its 100% in the clear in this case so i don't get caught up in a mess. i understand his want to have home protection that is simple and easy, etc, and that whatever happened, happened 40 years ago, just not the kind of mess i want to be involved with because i know hes a good person trying to look out for himself and his family when need be.

IMO i would urge him to consult an attorney.  lets say he is a felon and he is caught with a firearm, that would ruin everything he has worked for (ie jail time, fines, etc).  he needs to get this looked at ASAP.  if he got a purchase permit by accident, and gets caught with a gun, that still suck since it would be dragged out through the courts and he and his family would be financially and emotionally exhausted before its all over.

so whats better?  a couple hundred on a lawyer and figuring it out or hoping the system doesn't screw you in the end.  better safe than sorry.  if he cherishes his family and freedom, he'd get a lawyer.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
I cannot find anything that puts a time limit on how long a felony conviction prevents you from legally possessing a firearm. That is, the prohibition is life long. Note that answering incorrectly on an application is a felony all by itself. Since his conviction was long ago, your buddy may be able to get his rights restored provided he has lived an exemplary life since then.

Your buddy needs to talk to a lawyer familiar with firearms law. Perhaps someone can recommend one who is qualified but charges less than James Martin Davis.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:35:29 PM by Kendahl »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
Here's your answer...

NE1
Margaret Colgate Love, NACDL Restoration of Rights Resource Project, March 2015
MARCH 28, 2015
NEBRASKA
I. Restoration of Civil Rights/Firearms Privileges
Vote: Neb. Rev. Stat. § 29-112 provides that a person convicted of a felony loses the right to vote, to serve on a jury, and to hold “any office of honor, trust or profit.” The right to vote is restored automatically two years after completion of sentence, including any period of parole. Id. See also § 29-2264(1) (voting rights restored to probationers two years after discharge).1 In addition, “[a]ny person who has been convicted of a felony under the laws of any other state is not qualified to vote until two years after such person has completed his or her sentence, including any parole term.” § 29-113. This provision has been interpreted by the Board of Elections to apply to federal offenders as well. The right to vote is restored to out-of-state offenders on same terms as Nebraska offenders. Id.
Other civil rights (jury and office) are restored only by a “warrant of discharge” issued by the Board of Pardons. Neb. Rev. Stat. § 29-112. In the case of an individual sentenced to a non-prison sentence, a warrant of discharge restoring jury and office rights is issued automatically. See Neb. Rev. Stat. § 29-112.01 (warrant “shall be issued by such board upon receiving from the sentencing court a certificate showing satisfaction of the judgment and sentence entered against such person”). In the case of individuals sentenced to prison, however, a “warrant of discharge” is issued only after a hearing. See Neb. Rev. Stat. § 83-1,118(5).2 A person convicted of a felony under the laws of any other state must be restored to jury and office-holding rights “under the laws of the state in which the felony was committed.” § 29-113. It is not clear how federal offenders regain these rights.
Firearms rights (long guns and hand guns) are lost upon conviction of a felony. Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 28-1206(1), (2). Firearms rights may be regained only if the Board of Pardons empowers the governor to expressly authorize a pardoned individual to receive, possess, or transport guns in commerce. § 83-1,130(2).
II. Discretionary Restoration Mechanisms
A. Executive pardon:
? Authority: The authority to grant pardons is vested in the Board of Pardons, which is composed of the governor, secretary of state, and attorney general. Neb. Const. art. IV, § 13; Otey v. State, 485 N.W.2d 153, 163 (Neb. 1992). The governor acts as chair. Neb. Rev. Stat. § 83-1,126. The scope of the pardon power is set forth in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 83-170(10). The Board of Pardons is not subject to the Nebraska
1 Prior to March 11, 2005, all felony offenders were required to obtain a pardon before voting. See Neb. Rev. Stat. § 29-112 (2004) (warrant of discharge issued by Board of Pardons was required to restore civil rights and privileges, including voting rights, to a felon). See also Ways v. Shively, 646 N.W.2d 621, 627 (Neb. 2002). In the Shively decision, the Supreme Court of Nebraska construed § 29-112 together with a newer restoration provision, Neb. Rev. Stat. § 83-1,118(5) (Reissue 1999), which provided that upon a convicted offender’s release from confinement, the Director of Correctional Services should issue a certificate of discharge restoring the person’s civil rights. The Shively Court concluded that the more specific provisions of Neb. Rev. Stat. § 29-112 regarding restoration of voting rights, rather than § 83-1,118(5), controlled the conditions under which a convicted person’s right to vote is restored. Id. Following the Shively decision, § 29-112 was amended to make clear that pardon is the exclusive means of restoring civil rights. It was amended again in 2005 to restore the right to vote automatically to all offenders two years following completion of sentence.
2 Neb. Rev. Stat. § 83-1,118(5):
Upon completion of the lawful requirements of the sentence, the [Parole Board] shall provide the parolee or committed offender with a written notice regarding his or her civil rights. The notice shall inform the parolee or committed offender that voting rights are restored two years after completion of the sentence. The notice shall also include information on restoring other civil rights through the pardon process, including application to and hearing by the Board of Pardons.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
He will be in even DEEPER kimchi when/if he completes a 4473 ....