< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: (NY) McCarthy, Gillibrand team up to stop gun trafficking  (Read 931 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
(NY) McCarthy, Gillibrand team up to stop gun trafficking
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/mccarthy-gillibrand-team-up-to-stop-gun-trafficking-1.1619042

November 23, 2009 By REID J. EPSTEIN   reid.epstein@newsday.com

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand on Tuesday will announce an effort to crack down on traffickers who illegally transport guns across state lines, McCarthy said.

The New York lawmakers are introducing legislation next week to boost funding to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to have the agency perform annual checks of gun stores and increase mandatory penalties for those convicted of illegal gun trafficking.

"The ATF sometimes can't get around to a gun store for seven or eight years," said McCarthy (D-Mineola). "Now they would be able to do it on a yearly basis."

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and the family of Carol Kestenbaum, a Bellmore college student slain in Arizona in 2007, are scheduled to appear at the news conference.

Gillibrand spokeswoman Bethany Lesser declined to comment Monday.

McCarthy said the event will be her first joint appearance with Gillibrand. McCarthy, a staunch gun-control advocate whose husband was killed in the 1993 Long Island Rail Road massacre, in January promised to oppose Gillibrand in a primary over her past position on guns.

"It's a d?tente," McCarthy said Monday. "She's my senator, and we'll work with people who are working to reduce gun violence."

McCarthy, however, said she does not plan to endorse Gillibrand today - and won't unless she faces a threat from a Republican opponent. "She's going to win the primary, so what's she need my endorsement for?" McCarthy asked.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: (NY) McCarthy, Gillibrand team up to stop gun trafficking
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
http://gillibrand.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/?id=D7EB8730-4BCD-4D52-B86D-4682284D1CA2

Arm In Arm With Anti-Crime Leaders, Gillibrand And McCarthy Announce Federal Measure To Crackdown On Illegal Guns
Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, the Brady Campaign, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Join Lawmakers to Introduce Gun Trafficking Prevention Act

November 24, 2009

New York, NY - Joined by some of the nation's top anti-crime leaders, U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Representative Carolyn McCarthy today announced a new measure authored by Gillibrand and McCarthy aimed at eliminating the steady flow of illegal guns into New York. Nearly 90 percent of the guns used in gun crimes in New York City come from out of state, and approximately 90 percent of these guns are illegal. Standing alongside Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, representatives from the Brady Campaign and New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, and the parents of victims who lost their lives from gun violence at The John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Senator Gillibrand and Representative McCarthy unveiled the Gun Trafficking Prevention Act of 2009, which will empower local, state, and federal law enforcement to investigate and prosecute gun traffickers and their entire criminal networks, while protecting responsible, law-abiding gun owners.

"By cracking down on illegal gun traffickers and their vast criminal networks, we can reduce gun violence and keep our children and families safe," said Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. As a mother of two young children, I care deeply about keeping our families and neighborhoods safe and giving law enforcement the tools they need to eliminate illegal guns from the street and keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people. Congresswoman McCarthy has been the single leading force in Congress working to eliminate gun violence and I am pleased she has helped in writing this legislation."

"Since I have come to Congress, reducing gun violence has been my top priority," said Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy. "By reducing the amount of guns that are trafficked, both into New York and across the southern border into Mexico, this bill will go a long way to not only making our neighborhoods safer but will also improve our homeland security.  I was pleased to work with Senator Gillibrand on this legislation and look forward to working with her on the bill's passage in the House and Senate."

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said, "Senator Gillibrand and Congresswoman McCarthy's legislation will improve our ability to rid our streets of the illegal guns that find their way into the hands of criminals to destroy families and lives. Too often, Congress has tied the hands of law enforcement with legislation like the Tiahrt Amendments, this legislation gives them the tools they need to crack down on illegal guns."

And it goes on and on and on.... :-X
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: (NY) McCarthy, Gillibrand team up to stop gun trafficking
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
Smells like MAIG doesn't it. Along with someother low lifes.

I wonder how Ben will vote on this??????
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.