< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: state patrol lost my paperwork??  (Read 1804 times)

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
state patrol lost my paperwork??
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
so i turned in my paperwork to get my ccw on nov 9th, fast forward to today, in the mail i got anincomplete application form, saying that i didn't provide my birth certificate, but the lady at the counter that took my check, and made copies of all my paperwork before handing me the papers back  and fingerprinting definitely had it.

anyone ever had them lose your paperwork? am i still entitled to get my permit after the 45 days is up by default or does my time start again after i go back and let them copy my birth certificate again? looking for insight into what i should do about this come monday when they open again.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Re: state patrol lost my paperwork??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
Maybe Obama took it?  I'm told he needs to get his hands on one of his own.

Sorry.  Seriously, this sounds like You vs. Bureaucracy, and Bureaucracy almost always wins.  You can try to explain that they are in the wrong, but if they can't find it, I really doubt if anyone is going to just waive that requirement on your word that you gave it to them.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
that sucks.  you will probably go back in again.  you could try to see if they will expedite it since they lost it last time.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
Maybe Obama took it?  I'm told he needs to get his hands on one of his own.

Sorry.  Seriously, this sounds like You vs. Bureaucracy, and Bureaucracy almost always wins.  You can try to explain that they are in the wrong, but if they can't find it, I really doubt if anyone is going to just waive that requirement on your word that you gave it to them.

thats what i assume, but it's also probably a good idea to remember that they shouldn't even be sending the forms out of the state patrol office where fingerprints are done without all the proper paperwork to go with it.

i can post back what they say. hopefully this doesn't stick me to the back of the line considering how long it's taken to receive a letter saying "i flushed your papers down the toilet, send me more, this stuff is like tar"

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
In your position, I would take my birth certificate and tell the clerk what happened. Acknowledge that mistakes can occur despite the best of intentions. Propose that they rectify their error by making a fresh copy of your birth certificate, sending it promptly to Lincoln CID and processing your application immediately. If the clerk won't cooperate, ask to speak to her supervisor.

Be polite and cooperate with reasonable remedies but don't back down from three points: You did everything required. They made the mistake. Fixing it is their obligation.

I hope they didn't discard the rest of your application. Against that possibility, I would take all my documentation.

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
so the lady in the office seemed perplexed how i would have a form that says i need to supply a birth certificate because they indeed do not bother sending the paperwork over unless the hard forms like the birth cert and training cert are supplied right there.

she also said it shouldn't affect the processing time by any more than a day, hopefully shes right because i'll end up calling on day 43-44 to find out whether or not they'll be sending it on time. she took my BC again and resent it

headaches involved with everything these days.

Offline mikkojay

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
I had kind of a similar dumb deal.
I submitted everything on 12/8.  While at the office, the clerk pointed out that I had not filled in the DOB field on my application (my bad).  I filled it in, no big deal.

On 12/12 I receive a letter in the mail from Lincoln, with a printed copy of the application with the BLANK DOB field! It turns out the clerk copied the forms before proofing them.  It was an honest mistake but it cost me a stamp and a couple days.  Couldn't they have just gotten the DOB from the attached birth cert?  I guess not.

The good way to look at it was that I was actually amazed that someone had actually done something with it within just a few days time.

Offline kracin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:59:23 AM »
well the permit is in my hands now, and it seems like it didn't slow the process except maybe a day or two since my  brother applied a day or so after i did, and he got his permit the same day also. good information for people running into the same problem later!