< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Elderly Concealed Carry  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Fleckzie

• Forum Member
Elderly Concealed Carry
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
What experiences have senior citizens had relating to concealed carry. Traing and actual carry.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Elderly Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
Define "elderly"

I am 62 and I carry every day
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »
This is one for SFG ... he's been around since the Corps was started. 

Offline Fleckzie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
Define "elderly"

I am 62 and I carry every day

Define it as you like. The post was to ferret out anything relating to seniors that carry.

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
I personally know a 78 year old who carries everyday. He practices weekly and is more capable than many CHP holders. I at 64 hope I still have the abilities he has at his age.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:53:08 AM by Mark B »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
If you can drive a car safely you should be able to carry and operate a gun safely too.  My father was up into his 90s when I requested that his doctor have his driver's license taken away (because I and others were afraid he was going to kill somebody); at that point him carrying a gun would not have been a good idea either.

I'm guessing that an elderly person might be more likely to be the subject of a criminal assault, since criminals prefer easy victims.  One of the closest times I ever came to having to defend myself was after I had a torn rotator cuff repaired and my arm was in a sling with a big pillow under it, altogether making me look like an easy victim.  This knockout game liberal punks like to play where they come up behind white people and sucker punch them is usually perpetrated on old people.  And when you read news accounts of self defense cases, a significant portion of them involve the elderly.  So I'd say by all means carry while you're able, and always be aware of your surroundings.  And don't forget that home invasions do occur, so carry even when you're in your home. 

The assisted care facility my father was in had a "no guns" sign on the door, and I'm assuming that's typical.  So a person in such a facility might not have the option of being armed.

If you have reduced hand strength or arthritis you might need a gun that has low recoil.  I just recently got a Glock 42 (.380) for my recoil-hating wife and she loves it; it's about as easy a pistol to shoot as I've found (not counting a .22 target pistol).  The little .380s like the Ruger LCP have a sharp recoil and even I don't like shooting them (and I think shooting a .44 is really fun).  But the Glock .380 has mild and easily manageable recoil.

Criminal assaults often come as a surprise so a gunfight is sometimes preceded by a hand to hand fight.  So some knowledge of basic empty-handed self defense should go along with having a gun.  Also, the older you are the more natural you look carrying a cane.  So it might be worthwhile to carry one with a little weight to it and learn some simple self defense moves with it that might give you a few seconds and a few feet to get your gun out and into position.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
If you experience a stovepipe jam lasting more than four hours, seek immediate medical attention.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bennysdad

• NFOA-PAF Lobbyist, NFOA-PAF Website Content
  • NFOA Full Member
  • An Armed Society Is A Polite Society – Robert Hein
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
Range of motion for shoulder joints has an effect of were you locate your holster. Placing the holster in the back, 4-5 o'clock, is an issue.

The elderly may not have the ability to physically fight a criminal and it could limit their duty to retreat versus a younger person's duty to retreat.
β€œIn a democracy, citizens are supposed to act as partners in enforcing laws. Those forced to follow rules without being trusted even for a moment are, in fact, slaves.” by Jaron Lanier

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
This is one for SFG ... he's been around since the Corps was started.

Outed!!  Ever since I shot my ramrod at the Red Coats and Hessians in a panic while retreating................

AFAIK, It's up to the general neuromuscular health, agility, eyesight, grip strength, mindset, yada yada yada of the individual elderly person.   Some are strong as mules at eighty and some were already fading at forty.

I've had at least a dozen students over 80 years of age in my CHP classes, all of whom successfully passed the written and range qualification portion without blinking.

Kind of a case-by-case assessment.   Like this Spry Fellow:

I personally know a 78 year old who carries everyday. He practices weekly and is more capable than many CHP holders.

FWIW,

sfg
PS = I'll turn 80 on January 2.   Will accept these birthday gifts:  12ga #8 light trap loads, .38SPCL, 9mm, .40S&W, and--of course--.357SIG factory ammo.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:41:06 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
I'm 74 and I carry from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep, 7/365, and I try to avoid no gun zones or forbidden locations whenever possible.  I started with a 9mm Nano but my bride of 54 years had trouble racking the slide and holding an aim point.  She couldn't handle the recoil, either.  After 10 or so shots her hand and arm hurt.  I down sized to something she could handle.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
I down sized ....
To what? Inquiring minds want to know.