< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CCW for legislators  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Wrmedic

• NFOA Full Member
CCW for legislators
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
Just throwing this out for thought. Would it be beneficial to hold a free CHP Class for Nebraska Legislators?  This may help them to see what basic training CHP Permit holders receive. I would be willing to chip in to help support some of the class cost. Just food for thought. I'm not an instructors just putting this out as a possible way to support our cause.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: CCW for legislators
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »
some legislators and their staff already have CHP's.  i don't know which Senators, but i know some teachers here have taught them or their staff.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
There is a limit to the value of anything Legislators can receive, and a CHP class exceeds that. Chris Zeeb has given many Senators and their staffs the class (for free if they are only wanting to see the class to understand what the class entails for legislative purposes).

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:26 AM »
Thanx for the thought, but Yes. Chris Zeeb has done this at least twice that I know of. The latest being last spring.  We usually do this when we get a group of newbies.  It wasn't brought up much on the forums as it wasn't 'officially' a NFOA event.
Keep bringing up ideas, we'll throw em at the wall and see what sticks.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:02:29 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
[quote]Keep bringing up ideas, we'll throw em at the wall and see what sticks.[/quote]

Free CHP class for news media folks, perhaps.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »
Free CHP class for news media folks, perhaps.

That's a good one. Look at the good, two-part news story 10/11 did a few months ago as one of their reporters got her CHP. 
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
Actually, our very own HuskerXDM recently did a class for a local reporter. Even sported his NFOA shirt for the camera.
The lady was real impressed with the amount of time spent on conflict resolution and expressed so in her report.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wrmedic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
Kind of figured someone had thought to try this already. Just trying to come up with ways to get people more active. Maybe just offer a range day to them.

Was at the local gun store today and there was an older couple looking at buying their fire at gun. About went crazy listening to the guy guy telling them stuff. I don't proclaim to be an expert but some of it was just crop. I was quite until they walked away and then told them that they need find somewhere to go shoot different guns before they make a decision. They both have already taken the Concealed Carry class but as he put it they used "an old cowboy 22". I gave them the name of a couple reputable gun shops and told them that if they were interested in going shooting before they made a purchase to give me a call. I'm not a gun dealer so no profit motive but just want to help them get off n right foot. Also told them to call me and I'd recommend some places to get some training. The more we can get others involved the stronger we are.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:47:45 PM by Wrmedic »

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
I'd recommend some places to get some training
Is there an introductory NRA class they could take? I understand they provide everything but the student.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:15:37 PM »
I stopped in thunder alley a month or two or three ago where Chris holds his classes and are group of legislatures and aid where finishing up range quals. Not sure if he is doing this in conjunction with the NFOA or not but his is on it

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
I've done several classes for Senators and Legislative Aides. getting the Senators to come sit in a class all day is a challenge.

As Andy pointed out, they are limited to what they can accept as gifts, so even though I offer it for free to them, the usually pay. The Legislative Aides are all over the free class though and it is very beneficial for them to learn as much as possible, because the have the Senators in front of them daily

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
Interesting post, considering carrying of weapons by state government employees on government propety is prohibited.  Even as much as having a weapon locked up in the vehicle in the parking lot is cause for immediate termination.     

The government employee dilemma....

"Weapons aren't allowed on the property, not even in the parking lot."
"Why?"
"Because someone might get mad and go postal or something."
"And the fact that, if allowed, I would carry in case someone would go postal, makes me paranoid?"
"Yes."
"Thanks for clearing that up."

The State of Nebraska response to this is to offer 'Active Shooter' training for its employess.  Which basically consists of "If you see an active shooter...run like a sunufa***** as fast as you can to save yourself & don't worry about the others...just call 911 as soon as you are able." 

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
Interesting post, considering carrying of weapons by state government employees on government propety is prohibited.  Even as much as having a weapon locked up in the vehicle in the parking lot is cause for immediate termination.     

The government employee dilemma....

"Weapons aren't allowed on the property, not even in the parking lot."
"Why?"
"Because someone might get mad and go postal or something."
"And the fact that, if allowed, I would carry in case someone would go postal, makes me paranoid?"
"Yes."
"Thanks for clearing that up."

The State of Nebraska response to this is to offer 'Active Shooter' training for its employess.  Which basically consists of "If you see an active shooter...run like a sunufa***** as fast as you can to save yourself & don't worry about the others...just call 911 as soon as you are able." 

There are a couple bills in the pipeline pertaining to most of these situations. They just haven't gone anywhere...yet.

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »

Could you direct me to these laws?

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »
Not “Laws” – these are workplace policies for state employees in the various agencies. 

Each agency may word their policies a bit different, but they hold they same underlying intent.  One would have to seek out each agency’s policy wording, though here are a couple of prime agencies:

DHHS for example with their Policy on Threatening Behavior and Violence in the Workplace:

Weapon – any firearm, knife, bludgeon, or other device, instrument, material or substance, whether animate or inanimate, which is capable of producing death or serious bodily injury.

Weapons in the Workplace:
DHHS employees are prohibited from bringing weapons into the workplace.  Possession of firearms and explosive devices by employees are also prohibited by the DHHS Workplace Policies and/or NAPE/AFSCME contract.  This policy applies to all DHHS occupied buildings, grounds, parking areas, and agency vehicles.

DHHS employees are not required to serve any persons who are in possession of a weapon except law enforcement officers in connection with their official duties.

Human Resources Actions:
• Violations of this policy by DHHS employees may result in disciplinary action up to and including discharge.  Arrest and criminal prosecution may also result.

DAS WORKPLACE VIOLENCE POLICY
Purpose
This policy is being established as an anti-violence and violence-prevention policy for the Nebraska Department of Administrative Services (DAS).

Prohibited Conduct
DAS does not tolerate any type of workplace violence committed by or against employees. Employees are prohibited from making threats or engaging in violent activities. 
………
The list of behaviors, while not inclusive, provides examples of conduct that is prohibited:

• Causing physical injury to another person;
• Making threatening remarks;
• Aggressive or hostile behavior that creates a reasonable fear of injury to another person or subjects another individual to emotional distress;
• Intentionally damaging employer property or property of another employee;
• Possession of a weapon while on state property or while on state business.

Employee Reporting Requirements:
While employees are not expected to be skilled in identifying potentially dangerous persons, employees are expected to exercise good judgment and to inform the DAS Human Resource Office if any employee exhibits behavior which could be a sign of a potentially dangerous situation. Such behavior includes:

• Discussing weapons or bringing them to the workplace;
• Displaying overt signs of extreme stress, resentment, hostility, or anger;
• Making threatening remarks;
• Sudden or significant deterioration of performance;
• Displaying irrational or inappropriate behavior.

As you can see, even a simple discussion of firearms (if overheard & reported) could land one in a precarious position.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
Thanks, zofoman! I wanted to make sure there wasn't some law/policy I was not aware of.