< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger American Pistol  (Read 862 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Ruger American Pistol
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
So I'm seeing reviews about the Ruger American pistol and of course they all sound like it's the "Next Big Thing" (tm).  Has anyone actually seen one or handled one?  Know of anyone locally that has one?

As part of my personal upgrade I am in the market for a defensive pistol and I will freely admit I generally like Ruger products, so this option may be a candidate.  Price point is attractive, and the modular grips sound like a nice feature.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Ruger American Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »
Doesn't seem to be anything really groundbreaking about it, compared to other striker fired polymer pistols. OTOH, Ruger's quality has come a long ways recently.  If it's accurate and reliable it may be a good option.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
It's really interesting how rapidly Ruger is introducing new firearms these days!   You have no shortage of options, to be sure.

I really liked the "ergonomics" and shootability of the Ruger SR series when someone here let me shoot his.  (I think it was Gumby, or Gumby's son.)  The design really allows you to grip way up high.  One of the better pistol designs I've ever fired in terms of being able to put a lot of shots on a target very fast.

When Ruger introduced the economy version, the 9E (which eliminated the loaded chamber indicator) I was all over it.  Got one for $295, shipping included.  They regularly go for around $300.  Really hard to beat that.

Now they introduce the American Pistol which eliminates a couple more things compared to the 9E: it has no thumb safety, and no magazine disconnect.  More along the lines of their "pro series" LC9s.  A Glock competitor.  For people who carry a pistol for risk-prone work like police and armed security (or to put Ruger in the running for government contracts) this sure seems to complete their lineup.  Pretty soon you'll probably seen a compact version of it, I reckon.  It looks like it shares the SR / 9e ergonomics.

I do hope they retain the SR / 9e pistols.  For a family-fun range gun, I think the safety and mag disconnect aren't all bad.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
Haven't fondled one, but this weekend Scheels Omaha had some on display.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
It's really interesting how rapidly Ruger is introducing new firearms these days!   You have no shortage of options, to be sure.

I really liked the "ergonomics" and shootability of the Ruger SR series when someone here let me shoot his.  (I think it was Gumby, or Gumby's son.)  The design really allows you to grip way up high.  One of the better pistol designs I've ever fired in terms of being able to put a lot of shots on a target very fast.

When Ruger introduced the economy version, the 9E (which eliminated the loaded chamber indicator) I was all over it.  Got one for $295, shipping included.  They regularly go for around $300.  Really hard to beat that.

Now they introduce the American Pistol which eliminates a couple more things compared to the 9E: it has no thumb safety, and no magazine disconnect.  More along the lines of their "pro series" LC9s.  A Glock competitor.  For people who carry a pistol for risk-prone work like police and armed security (or to put Ruger in the running for government contracts) this sure seems to complete their lineup.  Pretty soon you'll probably seen a compact version of it, I reckon.  It looks like it shares the SR / 9e ergonomics.

I do hope they retain the SR / 9e pistols.  For a family-fun range gun, I think the safety and mag disconnect aren't all bad.
It was me in our cc class[emoji2]. Also I traded it in for a Glock and never looking back.

I really did enjoy the SR9 but it was a great reliable pistol. Like you said there are many things that's disliked including the safety and magazine disconnect. And lack of gaming options for shooting sports.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:29:50 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
It was me in our cc class[emoji2].

Aha all the pieces fit now!
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK