< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Laser or open sights  (Read 2010 times)

Offline BigRed

• NFOA Full Member
Laser or open sights
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:21:33 PM »
I have a Ruger SR9c and was thinking about getting a red dot laser for it. Would this be OK for concealed carry or would the ole open sights be best? Thinking about staying with the nonelectric no problem method would be better.

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Laser or open sights
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Dont forget about finding a holster.  I have a SR22, with a laser, great for plinking, but holsters that fit the laser are harder to find.
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
My personal vote is definitely for using lasers on your handguns.   For a number of excellent reasons.  (Of course.........Different Strokes for Different Folks.   Always.)

All my carry guns have Crimson Trace lasers.   Mine are red lasers.   But you might want to check out green lasers, which I've heard work in daylight.   (Red lasers do not work in daylight.  Sunshine overpowers them.)

And holsters are indeed hard to find for handguns with lasers.

So have some of the excellent leather-workers/holster manufacturers on this Forum make up a custom holster for you.   

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
You'll also want to see how the laser attaches before purchasing. I had a laser for a Ruger and it attached by replacing the frame pins with threaded ones and the laser module screwed into the replacement pins. However, in doing so it covered the firearm's serial number, and though Nebraska law on the subject is a bit unclear it seems likely that covering the serial number is illegal. Naturally, it was perfectly acceptable in my last state, so I sold the sight to a friend before moving up here.

If your looking at a rail-mounted or trigger-guard-mounted laser, you're probably okay. (Now I wonder what the state would think of my SIG Sauer with the serial number located on the Pic rail...)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
I don't think that would be a problem with the SR9c. The serial # is on the right side of the polymer frame at the top of the grip.
Most I have seen mount on the rail ahead of the trigger guard.
Greg58
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:44:06 PM by greg58 »
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »
So I have a questions for you OP. Do you want a red dot rmr

Or a laser?

My thoughts are a rmr can be edc but I think they need to be properly inbeddd in the slide. If you out them in a dovetail mount they are to high over the bore and are awkward,

If you want a laser to for it. But stick with a major brand. Crimson, veridian, streamlight. Don't go with a eBay cheap.

The main reason for this is holsters and reliability. If your looking for holsters I do kydex work in lincoln and also have contacts with many shops around the US that I'm sure I can find someone to make a holster for you.

Regarding motts post...

IMO you are permently modifying the weapon so I wouldn't worry about covering the SN. As long as it is easily accessible there should not be any problems. There are alot of officers in the state that carry a glock with a TLR 1 as there service pistol that covers there SN.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline BigRed

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about a crimson trace that mounts to the rail on the bottom and it has a frame piece that follows the front of the trigger guard. Looks real ice on the pistol.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
Personal Opinion only:

For daily carry, I go with iron sights (fiber optic front).  That's on a full-size gun, however.  I am a fan of putting a laser on tiny guns with poor sights, however---guns like the LCP, PF-9, and a j-frame are all ones that I think can benefit from a good laser.  I agree with SFG that green is the way to go, if you are going to have a laser for daytime use.

...that being said, if you are going to be carrying a gun with a weaponlight on it, my HUGE preference there is for a light/laser combo like the TLR-2 instead of the TLR-1.  If you ask anyone who has shot a night shoot, having a weaponlight on the gun is great for being able to keep both hands on the gun---but you are simply going to be MUCH more accurate and quicker with a laser with it also.  (First found that out at the Rogers Shooting School several years ago.  During the night shoot, those of us with light/laser combos SIGNIFICANTLY outshot folks with just weaponlights.)

Summary:
Gun with good sights:  Don't see the need for a laser.
Small gun with poor sights, most likely shot with one hand from a strange position:  Laser can be helpful
Gun with weaponlight:  Get a light/laser combo.

As someone else said:  If you are thinking of putting a red dot on it (like an RMR) that's a VERY different question.   
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
A laser on a carry gun can't hurt anything IMHO, but don't rely on it.  Better know how to use the sights.   Mine are red.  Green would be better I 'spose, but I dunno about the need in daylight for a laser. 

Weapon lights are good too.  Holsters for handguns with attached lights aren't hard to find.  BUT, know how to use a handheld light and carry one.  Having said that, not likely a civilian/private citizen will need a light.  The BG's need light to select their victims and unless you live out in the sticks, we are never really, totally in the dark.  We don't chase BG's into dark warehouses.  Still, I have a light on me.  No weapon mounted light for me as I don't want to carry the additional bulk.    A good, solid, substantial handheld light can do much more than just act as a flashlight.   Plus I don't believe anyone is going to freak out over someone strolling out of Walmart into the parking lot with a flashlight in their hand.   Pretty innocent. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
Weapon lights are good too.  Holsters for handguns with attached lights aren't hard to find.  BUT, know how to use a handheld light and carry one.  Having said that, not likely a civilian/private citizen will need a light.  The BG's need light to select their victims and unless you live out in the sticks, we are never really, totally in the dark.  We don't chase BG's into dark warehouses.  Still, I have a light on me.  No weapon mounted light for me as I don't want to carry the additional bulk.    A good, solid, substantial handheld light can do much more than just act as a flashlight.   Plus I don't believe anyone is going to freak out over someone strolling out of Walmart into the parking lot with a flashlight in their hand.   Pretty innocent. 

Agreed.  I have a weaponlight/laser combo on my home gun(s).  I don't have a weaponlight on my carry gun.  And I have handhelds available for both situations--I use my handheld all the time.  Handy thing to have for all sorts of reasons.  That being said:

Tom Givens has a good set of comments about the "need" for lights (whether weaponlights or not) for self-defense situations with carry guns.  It sums up to:  In the 60+ self-defense shooting events (ccw) by his students, none of them ever needed a light.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Personal Opinion only:

For daily carry, I go with iron sights (fiber optic front).  That's on a full-size gun, however.  I am a fan of putting a laser on tiny guns with poor sights, however---guns like the LCP, PF-9, and a j-frame are all ones that I think can benefit from a good laser.  I agree with SFG that green is the way to go, if you are going to have a laser for daytime use.

...that being said, if you are going to be carrying a gun with a weaponlight on it, my HUGE preference there is for a light/laser combo like the TLR-2 instead of the TLR-1.  If you ask anyone who has shot a night shoot, having a weaponlight on the gun is great for being able to keep both hands on the gun---but you are simply going to be MUCH more accurate and quicker with a laser with it also.  (First found that out at the Rogers Shooting School several years ago.  During the night shoot, those of us with light/laser combos SIGNIFICANTLY outshot folks with just weaponlights.)

Summary:
Gun with good sights:  Don't see the need for a laser.
Small gun with poor sights, most likely shot with one hand from a strange position:  Laser can be helpful
Gun with weaponlight:  Get a light/laser combo.

As someone else said:  If you are thinking of putting a red dot on it (like an RMR) that's a VERY different question.
Very well put as usual.

Streamlight has recently came out with the tlr6 line which are very compact. I t hope they keep expanding the line past the g43/42 and sheild. To some of the larger platforms. Though I like the tlr/tlr2 they are very bulky and weight and size to the weapon that can make a edc less comfortable.

The surefire xc1 seems to be one of the most compact rail mounted light light but it has some flaws. Maybe surefire will condiser mounted a lawyer also.

Edited for xc1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:26:17 PM by tstuart34 »

Offline BigRed

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
I like the comment about a larger pistol with open sights are good. I shot today and got a really good group. I think the open sights will work for me. No electrical problems to deal with. Keep it simple.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »
I like the comment about a larger pistol with open sights are good. I shot today and got a really good group. I think the open sights will work for me. No electrical problems to deal with. Keep it simple.
If you like the iron sights you might consider some fiber optic sights or night siights as a upgrade. The SR9 sights are ok but could be improved on.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 08:42:22 AM »
Agreed.  I have a weaponlight/laser combo on my home gun(s).  I don't have a weaponlight on my carry gun.  And I have handhelds available for both situations--I use my handheld all the time.  Handy thing to have for all sorts of reasons.

I was just going to ask about this. What about the bedside table gun, aka the "Hey honey did you hear that noise in the garage?" gun. Maybe a light on your gun is an advantage in a real shooting situation, but up until then (and in the 99.99% of cases where the noise is just a feral cat in the garbage) sweeping your muzzle around as a flashlight seems unwise on many levels.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
I was just going to ask about this. What about the bedside table gun, aka the "Hey honey did you hear that noise in the garage?" gun. Maybe a light on your gun is an advantage in a real shooting situation, but up until then (and in the 99.99% of cases where the noise is just a feral cat in the garbage) sweeping your muzzle around as a flashlight seems unwise on many levels.

Yep.  The handheld is until I have a definitive identification of a threat.  Weaponlight with laser is fantastic once the shooting starts.  Prior to that---you bring a handheld.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
Personally I'm old school and open sights and handheld flashlight.  The  biggest issue I have with the lasers is people tend to focus on the laser and fail to see other things around them, if using a laser make certain you keep you situational awareness up.