< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How to get more Appleseed in Nebraska  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
How to get more Appleseed in Nebraska
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
A couple months back, Dan asked me to write up a brief thread on how to get involved with The Appleseed Project.  I?ve been busy with my wedding and getting my property on the market, but no longer.

So here we go.  As an instructor with Appleseed, I can tell you it's the most cost-efficient ($70 for 2 jam-packed days of instruction at the range ? plus women, <21, and active military shoot FREE!) American heritage and marksmanship program you'll find.  Every instructor is a volunteer and our mission is simple: Saving Our Country.  We believe this can be done by teaching the heritage of our country's founding and telling people the stories of the great men and women who pledged their lives, treasures, and sacred honor so that we would have the freedom that so many take for granted today - plus we've got a really fun marksmanship program.  We?ll teach you the skills that will allow you to use just your rifle and sling (no bench, no sandbags, and no bipod) to hold 20? groups at 500 yds.

I wrote some about the marksmanship program in another thread, so I won?t get into that here.  This thread is about how you can get involved in Appleseed here in Nebraska.

Nebraska has started a bit late into the Appleseed program, but so did Colorado ? where we grew from 1 shoot and 1 range in 2007 to 9 shoots and 5 ranges in 2009.  It?s just a matter of how hard the volunteers want to work in each state.  Fortunately, Matt Gibbs has stepped up and volunteered to take on the responsibility of the NE State Coordinator, which is the first step to a successful state program.  

I'd like to start seeing regular Appleseed shoots throughout NE next year.  So I?m looking to talk to anyone who is a member of a club, or who has open farm land, where we can safely set up a 25 meter range.  Send me a PM if you think you have a cooperative club or a suitable range site and we can start on the paperwork to get a shoot (or several) organized for next year.  Note that Appleseed brings our own instructors and our own insurance, we just need the range.  And shooters who want to learn about their heritage and wake up that sleeping American they have inside.

Generally, ranges tend to like Appleseed and invite us back because we draw new people to the range (remember women and under 21 attend free) who otherwise may not choose to spend their entire weekend listening to Revolutionary War stories and throwing 400 rounds downrange.

So what do you say?  This sound good and you want to know what you can do to help grow Appleseed in NE?  First thing we need to do is find locations to hold shoots, so email Matt Gibbs or PM me if you?ve got a lead on a location we can set up a 25 meter range.  Then, once we have a couple shoots set up, we?ll post the details here on NFOA so you can sign up and sign your family and friends up to come shoot.  If you have fun at the shoot and like the program, then you can sign up to become an instructor so we can start having even more shoots across the state and reacquainting more Americans with their heritage.  To become an instructor you?ll need to shoot a 210+ score on the Army Qualification Target to qualify Rifleman (all explained at your first Appleseed).  Then, just choose to start down the Appleseed trail as an Instructor in Training and begin progressing toward a full Instructor and then a Shoot Boss.    

Let me know if you have questions.  Nebraskans, we need to get moving on this; Spring is right around the corner!

Zombie
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:10:50 PM by zombiehunter »
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

A-FIXER

Re: How to get more Appleseed in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »
thanks for the info and requirement.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
Zombie

I'll bet I could get the board of directors  at FRSC in Hastings to host a shoot.
I'm gussing 15 shooters on the outdoor range or 9 shooters on the indoor range (heated and light) Why wait untill spring??

Sound like a fun weekend to me. Let's talk

FLUFF

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
^^^^I may be interested.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »
fluff,.... keep us posted.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
If the timing is right I'd be very interested.  The one I attended in Grand Island was well worth the time and money.  I didn't make rifleman as my highest score of the weekend was 200 (210 needed to pass), so I need to give it another try.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
Why wait untill spring??

FLUFF, I like the way you think!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
I didn't make rifleman as my highest score of the weekend was 200 (210 needed to pass), so I need to give it another try.

Man Brian, you were "knocking on the door".  We'll get you to 210+ Rifleman at the next shoot.  Just keep dry firing for practice to develop the muscle memory - and make that prone position comfortable enough to fall asleep in!  And then we'll get you into an Orange Hat  ;)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
All PMs replied to and I'll USPS out Appleseed info packets to those who requested them to take to their club boards.  If you haven't already, please PM me your mailing addresses.

Also, some good info on how to host an Appleseed can be found on the main site here

Love the enthusiasm guys!

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
What is the ideal rifle for these shoots?  10/22 with irons or scope good enough?  Sling?
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
What is the ideal rifle for these shoots?  10/22 with irons or scope good enough?  Sling?
The ideal rifle is the one you bring.   ;)

Yes, a 10/22 with irons or scope works just fine.  A sling is very helpful as we teach both hasty and loop sling in all 3 shooting positions.  I would suggest you consider putting a set of Tech Sights on it if you're not using a scope.  They easily drop into the Ruger without the need for any smithing and give you an adjustable rear peep sight with a sight picture similar to an AR or M1A.  Personally, I went through over 400 rounds of .223 at my first Appleseed - which was pricey.  My next one, I took an AR22 and it was much easier on my budget.  I bought my wife her first rifle (a Marlin 795 that I added Tech Sights to) for her first Appleseed because, while not as customizable as the 10/22, it was more affordable. 

For Appleseed, you run what you bring.  People have used tube fed and even bolt .22s at shoots, but the most convenient rifle is a semi-auto, with at least 2 magazines (since some of the courses of fire require magazine changes), and a sling.  As far as slings go, I highly recommend picking up one of those OD green GI web slings - Appleseed's store sells them for $12.50, but if you poke around online you can sometimes find them on sale for less than $10. 

With ammo prices where they are, I've become a fan of .22s for practice and instruction - especially for working on basics at 25 meters.  The skills and muscle memory for the .22 translate up to larger, centerfire calibers; and if you're shooting groups >4MOA, it makes sense to me to get 500+ rounds of practice for $20 than <100 rounds of practice. 

Zombie

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
I would definitely be in. I want to take as many classes as possible.

So showing up with an AR-15 and a mil-style chest rig and all that would be appropriate? Or would I scare everyone? :P Just thought I would ask since I'm not familiar with the general culture and atmosphere of an Appleseed shoot, although I've heard they're excellent from many sources.

Thanks for posting this!

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
So showing up with an AR-15 and a mil-style chest rig and all that would be appropriate? Or would I scare everyone? :P Just thought I would ask since I'm not familiar with the general culture and atmosphere of an Appleseed shoot, although I've heard they're excellent from many sources.

You could show up with your chest rig and all, but might be a little overkill for the basics of Appleseed - if you're looking for the extreme experience, I could always bring a 5 gal jug of water to soak you and your spot on the line so you can have fun in the mud, too!  >:D

Once we get shoots scheduled, we'll post the info here on NFOA. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
Ha! I'm just a believer in training in the gear I intend to use for that SHTF situation. If you think it doesn't fit then... I won't bring it. ;)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:53 AM »
Ha! I'm just a believer in training in the gear I intend to use for that SHTF situation. If you think it doesn't fit then... I won't bring it. ;)

The M203 might get in the way when shooting prone.  8)

I'm looking forward to participating if there is one in the Eastern part of the state next year.  Now to decide which gun to use...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:56:15 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »
The M203 might get in the way when shooting prone.  8)

Ha!  Yea, M203s are discouraged.  Not because they're not fun, but because repeatable hits of a 40 mill (explosive) projectile at a 1" paper target at 25 meters are tough to score.  ;)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »
On Black Friday Cabelas was advertising a Marlin 795 for $99.99.  Buy a couple spare mags, a sling, and a set of Tech Sights and you won't find a cheaper way to get into Appleseed.

I highly recommend the tech sights for the 10/22.  Personally, I think using a scope kind of defeats the purpose of Appleseed.  I would much rather become proficient with irons and then translate that experience to a scope.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »
+1 Brian.  My wife's got a 795 with Tech Sights.  Plus, I think Marlin still has a $20 mail-in rebate for the 795 that's good until the end of the month - not sure if that's factored into Cabela's "advertised" price or not.  If that isn't figured in, then that's like getting your spare mag for free!

As far as scopes vs. irons go, I prefer training with irons.  But I'm under 40.  Funny thing happens to everyone's eyes around 40 where we end up needing reading glasses and it gets tough to bring that fuzzy front sight into focus.  Irons are great because they don't fog up and they won't crack if dropped, but if someone wants to come come and run their rifle with a scope, I won't give them a hard time. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
I too, also, am very interested.  I'm usaully a busy fella, but I think I could make room for something like this. Especially if there was some around the Lincoln area.
 Right now I'm sort of into the older WWI /WWII surplus rifles. (read I'm cheap) How would a Mosin Nagant (I know, not American, but I figure I'm helping to disarm the other guys) be?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »
How would a Mosin Nagant (I know, not American, but I figure I'm helping to disarm the other guys) be?

Bull - You can bring whatever rifle you like, but some rifles will provide you with more "challenges" than others.  For example, while shooting Stage 2 of the Army Qualification Target, you'll have to transition from standing to sitting, fire 2 rounds, change mags, fire 3 rounds, shift to acquire a new target, and then fire the last 5 rounds in your second mag.  In 55 seconds.  Now accommodations can be made for tube fed rifles or semis with capacities less than 8 rounds, but your first Appleseed is often easier if you have a semi, at least 2 magazines that will allow you to prep one with a minimum of 2 rounds and the other with a minimum 8, and a GI sling, because assimilating all the new instruction alone will frequently be challenging enough for a shooter.  That being said, guys have scored 210+ on the AQT and qualified as Rifleman with bolt actions - those guys are very, very fast.