< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Castle Doctrine  (Read 2265 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Castle Doctrine
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »
Looks like we may be able to find supporters for Castle Doctrine here:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091203/NEWS01/712039766

Published Dec 3, 2009
Published Thursday December 3, 2009
New suit filed in Crawford shooting

CHADRON, Neb. (AP) -- The mother of a 16-year-old Crawford boy fatally shot by police has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in Dawes County District Court.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:30:44 PM by AAllen »

A-FIXER

Re: Castle Doctrine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
Ok, you got me....please help me understand your thinking on this allen I just am not gettin it.....

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
A police officer shoots someone in self defense, this is now the second attempt at suing either him or now the city for his self defense.  We not only need to be able to defend ourselves but when we do we need to be able to be protected from civil suits as well.  This is a Police Chief that should be able to understand our position, and support it.  In order to get things like this passed we need to be able to show there is a need, and hopefully have someone from a respected Government office support us - it makes things easier.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »
I think a big part of Castle Doctrine in Nebraska needs to be civil immunity if you're found to be without fault in a criminal investigation. 

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »
A friend of mine from Crawford said this was politically motivated against the police chief. The boy had been a trouble maker all his life. He broke into a house, stole the gun, the broke into the vacant bar. He was told to lower the gun several times, but did not obey. The teen was then shot by the police chief and the game warden, but no charges were brought against the game warden.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »
I was with you A-Fixer, I thought AAllen was applying Castle Doctrine for the kid. Now I understand what he was refering to.  Sounds to me that this was a "good shoot" and I'm glad the first case got dimissed.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »
After reading the post after my question I got it as well and do agree it was in order to protect one self and not knowing the outcome of an armed person and being unstable in that enivorment of line of duty and was asked to lower the firearm. Makes a person think exactly where do you want that type of action to lead to.

Offline Blkcat

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
The Omaha World Herald has a story in today's edition reporting that Nebraska State Senator Mark Christensen is planning to introduce a Castle Doctrine bill in this year's legislative session.  You can see the article at this URL:  http://omaha.com/article/20100102/NEWS01/701029869

This is a good time to contact your Senator and urge support of the bill/

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Good read I will be contacting my senator and on a personal note I would like those opposed to place themselves as being the victim and hoping someone was armed and capiable of saving their life or those of someone they love abiet it would be a WHOLE different story if someone had the courage to save their life on the spot or would they be willing to sacrifice their life to keep the current law on the books. Without reprisial from the victims/familes of the BG...

Offline ABN207

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
The Omaha World Herald has a story in today's edition reporting that Nebraska State Senator Mark Christensen is planning to introduce a Castle Doctrine bill in this year's legislative session.  You can see the article at this URL:  http://omaha.com/article/20100102/NEWS01/701029869

This is a good time to contact your Senator and urge support of the bill/
After reading the 2 Jan OWH article I wrote a letter to the Pulse but they never published it.  The article was pretty biased against the Castle Doctrine (my thoughts).  Also, the lawyer from Lincoln had some comments that bordered on being comical.  I guess if the Castle Doctrine is approved we no longer have to think.  Another part of the article said a guy in Colorada was shot while mistakenly trying to enter the wrong home,just a block away from his house.  Well, what they failed to mention was this guy walked around to the back of the house, broke the window on the back door, reached his hand inside to unlock the deadbolt while a man and his girlfriend were home watching television.  The OWH article made it sound like some drunk was at someones door trying to use his key in the lock--well, I don't know about anyone else but if someone breaks the window on my back door, reaches in, unlocks my deadbolt and enters my home he's gonna meet Mr. Smith & Wesson and probably die of lead poisoning.  Sure hope the Castle Doctrine gets approved for our state.  It is scary just to think what will happen if we ever do have to defend ourselves and our loved ones.