< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Clay Delay (or similar) AutoPuller  (Read 1408 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Clay Delay (or similar) AutoPuller
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
Anyone here use a Clay Delay Autopuller for skeet practice?

My wife won't pull skeet practice unless I agree to go to water aerobics with her.   (And while there, refrain from ogling the Other WaterChiks.)

My grandsons won't even look up from their electronic boxes to go shooting.   (I'm going to have them DNA-tested to make sure that they are truly of my lineage.)

When I go to the skeet range to practice, no one is ever there.   At least, no Newbie skeet shooters who would tolerate my irregular, fumbling skeet shooting behaviors.  Pulling by yourself on a button-control is not really an option.

I only find close-knit groups of Grumpy Old Gray-haired Guys who smoke every clay coming out of both houses.   And definitely don't want Newbie company.

So--the solution for solo skeet practice seems to be a voice puller.  Wired would be OK w/me.   Wireless not really necessary, since the cost goes up considerably for the additional features gained.

If you have any experience w/the Clay Delay Autopuller or other such voice puller, your commentary is invited.

Pull!!

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Clay Delay (or similar) AutoPuller
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:22:22 AM »
This probably won't help much but Lincoln Trap & Skeet Club used them years ago. I shot with them a few times and they worked. Maybe check with a current member to see if they are still in use.

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
I don't know what system they were using (it's been several years since I've been there), but the Harry Koch range in Omaha (at 72nd and Harrison) had a wireless voice activated system last time I was there.

If I remember correctly, you had to speak up for it to hear you.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
...the Harry Koch range in Omaha (at 72nd and Harrison) had a wireless voice activated system last time I was there.
[/b]

The Harry Koch Range is one of the two shotgun ranges where I currently shoot and is the exact range where I'd like to shoot solo skeet practice, since my other range at Papillion Gun Club does not yet have any kind of skeet setup.   Skeet is in the plans at PGC, but actual construction has not yet commenced.

Harry Koch Range, operated by the City of Omaha (Yes:  Omaha!!) features both trap and skeet ranges.

The Koch trap range presently uses hard-wired voice-pull systems.  Flip the switch on.   Say "PULL",  then see and shoot clay bird.

However, the Koch skeet ranges work off manual button-activated wired systems  [Hi-Lo-Double buttons] made by LaPorte.   Which presents the problem:  somebody not shooting has to push the bulky pullbox button when the shooter says, "PULL".   A single, lone shooter can't both shoot and operate the system.   It takes at least two:  Puller and Shooter.

So my current choices for solo skeet practice are a voice-activated wired system for as little as around $150 up to a deluxe voice wireless system for something over $400.  With the wired system, the shooter would need to drag a fairly long extension wire around the eight skeet shooting stations.

Being pretty much of a Tightwad and very much of a Practical Guy, I always check things out very, very carefully before making a move.   Which is why I drive a 9-year old Hyundai Elantra and shoot a very basic Browning Citori Trap model which has absolutely no engraving a-tall.   Very value-oriented.

Checking it out, both on this Forum and on the Web.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
The Koch trap range presently uses hard-wired voice-pull systems.  Flip the switch on.   Say "PULL",  then see and shoot clay bird.

However, the Koch skeet ranges work off manual button-activated wired systems  [Hi-Lo-Double buttons] made by LaPorte.   Which presents the problem:  somebody not shooting has to push the bulky pullbox button when the shooter says, "PULL".   A single, lone shooter can't both shoot and operate the system.   It takes at least two:  Puller and Shooter.Being pretty much of a Tightwad and very much of a Practical Guy, I always check things out very, very carefully before making a move.   Which is why I drive a 9-year old Hyundai Elantra and shoot a very basic Browning Citori Trap model which has absolutely no engraving a-tall.   Very value-oriented.

Sorry, missed that you were looking for skeet with this.  Trap is all I've ever shot.

I wonder if they had an issue with the wireless system, because I swear they handed me a small device in the office building, and told me which range to go to.  There was no set up, I blew through a couple of clays just to make sure I knew how the system worked.

Like I said, it's been a while since I was there (probably 5 years now), and I understand being cheap.  Last car was a 10 year old Chevy Impala (got rid of it when it started having brake problems), and I shoot a hand me down shotgun that's older than I am (no serial number, inherited from Dad when he passed, and I think he got it from his Dad).

Started looking, this looks like it.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
...and I shoot a hand me down shotgun that's older than I am

Lotta beautiful memories associated with that shotgun, I'll bet.

Ya know, for Big Grins and Giggles.......

You could practice shooting with that shotgun until you were honing your skills, busting clays pretty regularly,

then go shoot next to some Big Spender at the range who has been showing off his Krieghoff, Perazzi, or Cesar Guerini to everybody.

And top him off by a coupla clays.   (Any more than that would be rubbin' it in........)

sfg

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Lotta beautiful memories associated with that shotgun, I'll bet.

And a lot of black and blue shoulders.  Thing kicks harder than anything else I've ever shot.

Ya know, for Big Grins and Giggles.......

You could practice shooting with that shotgun until you were honing your skills, busting clays pretty regularly,

then go shoot next to some Big Spender at the range who has been showing off his Krieghoff, Perazzi, or Cesar Guerini to everybody.

And top him off by a coupla clays.   (Any more than that would be rubbin' it in........)

Haha. Been there, tried that, failed miserably.  When I was in high school, my local FFA chapter had an annual trap shoot as a fundraiser.  We would shoot a round, and whomever hit the most clays would win a prize. 

The shop teacher at my school was a big competitive trap shooter, and would invite a bunch of his competitive buddies to come down to it.  We found out quickly that we couldn't shoot trap as well as they could, and essentially had to set up novice and pro groups.