< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: GHB or Get home Bag  (Read 7734 times)

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
GHB or Get home Bag
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »
With the snow this week end in Hastings, I took a little time to rotate the stock in my "GHB" in all of my vehicles this weekend.

New Batteries, fresh MRE's and fresh Food items.

I don't intend on walking home or abandoning my vehicle unless I really need to

You do have a GHB don't you ?? or you just going to call 911

Man skooping snow sucks !! :angry9:

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: GHB or Get home Bag
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »
If you're like me you should keep a good pair of boots in your car.  Nothing would suck more than walking 3 miles in 6" of snow wearing dress shoes :\  Also make sure you have adaquate warmth layers, a good warm hat, gloves, and extra warmth layer like an old sweater. 

Of course batteries for a light, and a knife.  A bottle of water, a basic med kit, and a couple energy bars to round it out.  I even threw several chemical warmers in my kit just for comfort sake. If you're like me and work in a gun-free zone, make sure you've at least got your weapon and a spare mag or two in the car ready for you!
N0ZXR

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
Ha !! What are dress shoes??

It must be the redneck in me. I havn't worn dress shoes since the day I got hitched.... ;D. Steel toe'd work boots would get awfull cold in the snow also.

Anyway I agree with you 100% you got to be ready for anything mother nature blow's up !! or when ever Murphy's law strikes

Also..You also have to be sure to have supplies and equipment for every passenger that you normally carry ( I have a wife and two kids)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:28:55 AM by FLUFF »

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Hmm, who knew, there ARE some benefits to being a single male.  Only have to have preps for 1 :D

N0ZXR

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »
So, lets talk about the bag itself.

What are you fellas using to hold this gear?

I have a Sears  widemouth tool bag that I can use for a Get home bag that is kept in my vehicle all the time.

I am seriously considering a Maxpedition Versipack, that can do triple duty ...bug out,  hiking, and room for a DSLR , all while CCW

Any Maxpedition gear users here?

I do use their phone holster  on my  belt ,and it has been a very secure way to carry my phone. No more worry about it falling out of the case while I am working on a car. Last time that happened  my phone was ran over  :(
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:24:39 AM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
I also use a wide mouth tool bag for my GHB. It allows me to get to the items on the bottom with out dumping it out.  I also have items in the vehicle that dont' go in the bag. Tow straps, shovel, spare fuse, ect,ect. Things to make life better for the drive home. 

I fondled the Max Versipack in Tulsa at a gun show, but I passed. I thought it was to much $ and it will not fit a note book or 8 1/2" x 11 papers. If it will not work for my daily use of carring papers and the things I do daily it will get left behind.  I preferr to have my CCW on my belt, under my control at all times.

I use a messenger type of bag that will handle the papers and all of the things I like to keep with me.  My wife calls it my man bag, but atleast it matches my shoes....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
There are a few new Jumbo Versipacks, the EDC and the LEO that are in the $65-75 range if you search the net, that have  features that are very appealing and versatile.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1319&idcategory=59

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1315&idcategory=59
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »
I love maxpedition! I have the proteus but now they make a bigger version of it I wish I had that instead.  Also I got the colossus for my DSLR since its already padded don't have to worry about it.  My though on maxpeditions is they always sound bigger on paper then they are in real life so when in doubt go up a size.  

Colossus is the perfect size to store a DSLR and has enough molle you can make it fit whatever else you need too.  Great gear!

I am pretty sure they sell a messenger bag too called gleneagle and larkspur (big and small) but they are pricey in the 120$ range I beleive.. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:57:35 AM by Jesse T »
N0ZXR

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
My thinking is that if I really have to hoof it, I want something that I can carry hands free, can be used while carrying a rifle,  that I can pack with the appropriate items(I have a lot of them stored in  my  truck) and keeps me legal... we can't conceal a fixed blade longer than 3.5", so I need to attach the sheath to the outside if necessary. It can be pretty tough to NOT conceal a fixed blade when you are all bundled up. Also pretty tough to draw from a concealed holster when carrying a bunch of gear and wearing layers of clothing in cold weather
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
I would like to have several of these bags! Too bad that they are a little pricey.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
for us truck guys a tool box is ideal. blankets, flashlight, jumper cables, starter box, many many tools, road flares, floor jack, the list goes on and on. and it all fits in the box
we dont shoot to kill, we shoot to stay alive

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
Review here on the Maxpedition New Sabercat Versipack
http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17678.0
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
when you guys look for GHB or BOB bags, what are you exactly looking for?  for instance, is it the amount of room (ie cubic inches) or is it what you're going to be putting in the bag (ie supplies, etc)?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:44:42 AM »
To me, I look for a lot of things, organization of contents, ease of access to supplies that could be needed in multiple situations, size depends partially on what your planning the bag for, Is it for winter and you think you need coveralls, hats, and heavy gloves. Also how well does it carry, you are not gonna want to hoof a 1 ton duffel around if you are a few miles from home/safe area. I personally prefer a major first aid kit in the car, being an emt I assume that I could come across an accident anytime. So I look for a bag with an externally accessible compartment and either add loops and some dividers or find a bag with them. Personally I have a rather large backpack (picked it up at walmart shortly after the school year started) that has a front compartment large enough for bandages, gauze, BP cuff, stethoscope, scissors pocket mask for CPR etc. Inside it can fit clothes, a tightly wound rope with carabiners, and a basic survival kit. (compass, flashlight, small gauge cable, knife etc.) also has an external water bottle holder on each side and a pocket that works GREAT for a glass breaker with a seat belt cutter. Its a North Face brand and I picked it up in the clearance section for (IMSC) 20 bucks.

This is not all that is jammed into the bag but it kind of gives you an idea of some of the more critical stuff that goes into it. I change it out with the season swapping the heavier clothing for lighter for summer. Doesn't fit behind the seat of the truck so gonna have to devise a way to get it off the seat :( but so far it works.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:46:15 AM by rugermanx »
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger on a bag tonight. I got tired of using my shotgun/range bag for everything I was doing.

After I went Pdog hunting, I realized I wanted a bag that better accommodated my AR15, Magazines, Glock 30, camera and the standard shooting gear like hearing protection and shooting glasses, and still had room for binoculars, snacks, water, etc. and was slung more like a pack.

This same bag can be re-purposed as a get home bag. It can also be a great bag for hiking in the mountains, as I plan to do more now that CCW is legal in my favorite Rocky Mountain National Park. The only drawback is the visible AR magazines in the pouch, so the AR mags will be removed for this job. I wanted easily accessible magazines so they needed to be on the front and have fast access, so they rest if the time the sheep will just have to deal with it

This bag is the Maxpedition L.E.O jumbo versipack.

And you can save all the manpurse comments, as I already use a Safepacker every day

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
I hope you can fit it all in... you wont be sorry you bought maxped, though. Let us know how it works out for ya!
N0ZXR

Offline TerryLane

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
I use the LA Police Gear jumbo Bug Out Bag for daily carry. Lots of inside and outside pockets and tons of room. Holds everything a GHB should hold. High quality and reasonable price. Take care.
Terry Lane
NRA Life
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Appointed Training Counselor
Nebraska Concealed Handgun Instructor

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
I can tell you that a Jumbo Versipack will hold more 30 round Pmags than I want to carry around ...  the damn thing gets very  heavy on the shoulder ;D

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Here's what I use for my BOB: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=Molle-124

It's a decent size, has lots of nice compartments and can accept standard MOLLE Gear add-ons.

I picked up two of these at Costco the last time I was there for my in-vehicle GHB's: http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/kahuna-70-hydration-pack/70491?productid=855921&sourceID=GOOGFEED&CAWELAID=26884654

They were only $20 a piece at Costco and can really hold a lot of gear as well as 2 liters of water.  I also keep a couple liter bottles of water in each of my vehicles.  They're not available on Costco's web site but they had a pretty good supply of them when I was there a week or so ago.

In each GHB, I have the following:
- Handheld CB
- Latex Gloves
- N95 Mask
- Notebook
- Pen, Pencil, Sharpie
- LED Flashlight
- Leatherman
- Knife
- Spare AA and AAA Batteries
- Disposable Poncho
- Space Blanket
- 6 Clif Bars
- 3 Snack Packs of Nuts

In the winter I also keep winter weather gear in my vehicles, including boots.

In addition to the GHB, each of my vehicles has the following:
- Jumper Cables
- Tow Strap
- Folding Shovel
- Fire Extinguisher
- First Aid Kit
- Duct Tape

On each of our key rings, I have one of the ResQMe miniature life hammers/seat belt cutters.

I can go into my BOB contents too if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:40:08 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for a website to acquire all the little things in a GHB  in one place? Stuff like ponchos, space blankets, fire starter, first aid, etc.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder