< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: does new address require new carry permit?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
does new address require new carry permit?
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm moving to the People's Republic of Omaha (through no fault of my own).  I have a carry permit with my old Lincoln address on it.  Do I need to get a new permit with my new address on it? 

If so:
Does it have to be done within a certain number of days?
Where do I go to get the new permit?

Do I also need to get a new Utah permit with my new address on it? 

How do I go about doing that?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: does new address require new carry permit?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
Your CHP must match your Driver License.

I believe the state requires DL to be changed within 30 days.

Go to DMV for updated license and then go to Nebraska State Patrol for change of address.

Past experiences reported have usually been 4 or 5 days from application to change address to receiving replacement.

Offline tnorris0143

• NFOA Full Member
  • I Couldn't Think of a Good Name :)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
Simple Google Search for NE CCW:
------
https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/vnews/display.v/SEC/Services%7CConcealed%20Carry%20Permits

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf

Change of Name or Address of Permit Holder (section 014):
see page 13 :
30 days

------

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/vnews/display.v/ART/56d46fc26fb57#Question:  Do I have to report a change of name or address after I get a permit?
YES!

Question:  Do I have to report a change of name or address after I get a permit?

Answer:  Yes. Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to report a change of name or address and request a replacement permit.

------

as for Utah : google their state CCW laws and I'm sure you will locate the how-to for that state.

Offline cjsnow1711

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
I changed my address for my utah permit just a few months ago. This can be done very easily with either a phone call or email. See this link for instructions http://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/general-information/address-change/

From what I was told utah only requires you to update their bci of changes, but does not require your permit to be updated. (I.e., it's okay to have your old address on your permit as long as you've told them your knew one). However for a fairly nominal fee you can request a permit with your new address if it makes you feel happier.
MOLON LABE

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:25:07 PM »
I believe you can't carry concealed again until you have both your CHP and driver's license updated to show your new address.

Don't knock Omaha. The Douglas County attorney's office has a long history of fairness in self defense cases. More than once, I have watched televised press conferences in which a prosecutor sympathized with a business owner who shot a robber in self defense. In a firearms class more than 30 years ago, an Omaha police sergeant told us that no one in Douglas County had ever been prosecuted for shooting a home invader. That record is still intact. The current mayor has her own CHP. The biggest issue in Omaha is handgun registration and a city permit to carry openly. Since you have a CHP, neither of those applies to you.

Offline tnorris0143

• NFOA Full Member
  • I Couldn't Think of a Good Name :)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
State Statute still covers them as well. It was how I worked all my years even after NE passed the CHP.
City Ordnance has always been back-n-forth on the matter as well.

Offline eshold

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »
Yes, unfortunately. There really should be a part of the law that provides for a grace period for moves within the state. Being unable to legally carry for a period time because of a change of address is completely asinine, in my estimation. On that note, concealed is concealed.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
Yes, unfortunately. There really should be a part of the law that provides for a grace period for moves within the state. Being unable to legally carry for a period time because of a change of address is completely asinine, in my estimation. On that note, concealed is concealed.

Actually you cant carry after you have applied for a new DL (they invalidate the old DL and give you a temporary with new addy) till you recieve your new DL . Plus the fact that when you apply to the State Patrol, you have to return your permit to them. It took 2 weeks from the time I mailed mine off till I recieved the new permit.
D.R

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
I sat in line for about an hour and a half to get a new driver's license with my new address on it.  They gave me a paper copy of a new one and told me that I would get the real one in the mail in awhile.  They did not take my old one, which I am still carrying.

I called the state patrol office and asked them what I needed to do for my chp.  They told me to download the same form that is used to apply for a new one, fill it out, and check the box that says change personal information (i.e., address in my case), and mail that form to the Lincoln office with a copy of my new driver's license.  They did not tell me to send in my permit (presumably they already know I have one). 

So unless I was given bad information, I can keep my old permit and driver's license with matching addresses until I get both of the new ones.  This is a more efficient process than I had expected (except for the long wait at the motor vehicles office).
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:37:23 PM »
Interesting, I just went and reread the Concealed Handgum Permit Act, nothing in the act itself requires the address on your permit to be current. It only comes from the rules created by the State Patrol, which they have the power to do. They simply required that you update your address within 30 days, the same amount of time as you have to update your drivers license.

So under the law and administrative rules as written if you move Friday and got a new drivers license on Monday you would still have 26 days that your permit is valid to get it updated. It does not say that the addresses need to match, only that you can present both the permit and your drivers license/ID card/military ID if carrying.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
I sat in line for about an hour and a half to get a new driver's license with my new address on it.  They gave me a paper copy of a new one and told me that I would get the real one in the mail in awhile.  They did not take my old one, which I am still carrying.

I called the state patrol office and asked them what I needed to do for my chp.  They told me to download the same form that is used to apply for a new one, fill it out, and check the box that says change personal information (i.e., address in my case), and mail that form to the Lincoln office with a copy of my new driver's license.  They did not tell me to send in my permit (presumably they already know I have one). 

So unless I was given bad information, I can keep my old permit and driver's license with matching addresses until I get both of the new ones.  This is a more efficient process than I had expected (except for the long wait at the motor vehicles office).

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf

Item 14.01 and 14.02 States specifically that you must return the invalid permit to the state patrol. And yes it is invalid once you change your address. And I think if you look at your old DL they put void on it. It takes anywhere from 10 to 25 days to get your new DL from the state.

From FAQs Nebraska State Patrol

Question:  Do I have to report a change of name or address after I get a permit?

Answer:  Yes. Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to report a change of name or address and request a replacement permit.

By the way I just went through all of this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:45:47 PM by DR4NRA »
D.R

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »
You're right it did get VOID stamped on it.  I hadn't noticed.