< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bellevue PD requires a PURCHASE PERMIT to return firearm ?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Bellevue PD requires a PURCHASE PERMIT to return firearm ?
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
So, I've been having an email discussion with the Bellevue Police Department.

Been slowly working through the paperwork to get one of the firearms that was stolen from me returned.

It's been a slow process, but the sergeant I've been in communication with has been really helpful and friendly.

Buuuuttttttt, we've hit a snag.  It appears that Bellevue Police Department has a policy that requires me to have a valid Purchase Permit in order for the firearm to be returned to me.  And no, a Concealed Carry Permit is not acceptable.  It has to be a Purchase Permit.

Needless to say, I am not amused about this situation.

addenum: as noted in a reply below, this is for the return of a long gun (shotgun in particular), not a hand gun

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:45:09 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Bellevue PD requires a PURCHASE PERMIT to return firearm ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
$5, no finger prints, just a few days turn around time allegedly.  And it's South 84th Street instead of Old Market Omaha.  Not too much of a hassle but still grrrrr.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
It is illegal to transfer a handgun to anyone without a purchase permit in Nebraska. ATF accepts a valid CHP in lieu of the purchase permit, but I guess the MAN can refuse that cuz he is the MAN and strictly adhere to state law

Remember.... a LEO was recently convicted for loaning a handgun to a person without a permit. May be a bit of sour grapes?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
I think the statute is pretty clear that to transfer a handgun, the purchase permit "shall not be required" if you have a CHP.  I would say BPD's policy is in conflict with Nebraska law.

69-2403.
Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.

(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.

(2) The certificate shall not be required if:

(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;

(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;

(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or

(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Oh, this is for returning a long gun.  Not a hand gun.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
In other words, the next time you talk with them, mention the fact that they are withholding your personal property illegally, making requirements that are not valid under state law, when they know you are the actual owner of the item.

Ask them to state for the record (and then record it) that they are requiring you to have a purchase permit to get back your stolen long gun.

Watch what happens.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
In other words, the next time you talk with them, mention the fact that they are withholding your personal property illegally, making requirements that are not valid under state law, when they know you are the actual owner of the item.

Ask them to state for the record (and then record it) that they are requiring you to have a purchase permit to get back your stolen long gun.

Watch what happens.  :)

I'm not gonna be that much of an ass.  (I do have plans on moving out of state early next year and really don't care to deal with this from far away)

But I'll be asking them who do I talk to about getting their policy updated so as to not be contradictory to State law.

I imagine that this goes along similar lines of the Omaha registration stuff... sigh.