< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Carrying at a rodeo?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Carrying at a rodeo?
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
Is it lawful to carry at the Buffalo Bill Rodeo at North Platte?  Does the definition of Professional athletic event count in this instance?  I've never seen it posted, and I've been going out there since when my kids were little?  Is it owned by the City? That might be another issue.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:12:52 AM by Les »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Carrying at a rodeo?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »
I would assume it's a professional athletic event. 

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
I'd say it's a safe assumption that the criminal gang that illegally infringes on our right to bear arms has its default setting on you can't carry.  The idea of a bunch of cowboys turned into helpless victims by an illegal government edict seems insane, and I wonder how many of them allow themselves to be bullied into surrendering their right to bear arms when they're at a rodeo.   I'm guessing there are probably a lot of guns in pickups.

Is it legal to open carry at a rodeo?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
I understand the sentiment about open carrying in the rodeo, however I'm not willing open that door.  It is considered a PRCA event.  It'll be left secured in the vehicle.  "sigh" 

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
Is it legal to open carry at a rodeo

I'd assume if your a CCW holder and concealed carry is prohibited....so you open carried instead....it could end up costing you your CCW permit by doing so.

I'm not a lawyer.... (but I might play one on Halloween some times)  :P

So as I see it

They could say that by open carrying...it makes you in violation of any prohibition of concealed carry they might have....just the same as if you had done it.  :o (Guilty by association!)

Just to be on the safe side.....
If you are a CCW holder...... I'd treat anywhere that you are prohibited from carrying concealed
as also prohibiting open carry......at least that is if you want to keep your CCW permit. 

Just My 2 cents... ;) 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:42:15 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »
I understand the sentiment about open carrying in the rodeo, however I'm not willing open that door.  It is considered a PRCA event.  It'll be left secured in the vehicle.  "sigh" 

I personally wouldn't carry at a rodeo open or concealed, because (even though it's been years since I've been to one) if I go to a rodeo I'm going to drink beer.  But there might be some designated driver types who might want to carry so I was just curious about the legality of it.

Is there some provision for those in charge of the rodeo to designate certain people as security guards, who can carry (open or concealed), like there is for churches?  I'm sure there will be state or county law enforcement officers there, but you'd think they could designate several people they know as security personnel as a backup.  What does it take for that to be done legally?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »

Is there some provision for those in charge of the rodeo to designate certain people as security guards, who can carry (open or concealed), like there is for churches?  I'm sure there will be state or county law enforcement officers there, but you'd think they could designate several people they know as security personnel as a backup.  What does it take for that to be done legally?

There isn't a provision in the CHP Act, so it would take a legislative change.  Only churches and banks can set an armed security force, according the the statute.  I'm not sure how it would work if an organization were to hire a security company though...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
There isn't a provision in the CHP Act, so it would take a legislative change.  Only churches and banks can set an armed security force, according the the statute.  I'm not sure how it would work if an organization were to hire a security company though...
Then this is another among many flaws in state law that should be corrected.  If there is ever an incident at one of these places that might have been stopped by an armed citizen, those responsible for citizens being disarmed are accessories to the crime, and should be held responsible and brought to justice.