< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is YOUR Concealed Handgun Etiquette?????  (Read 3047 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
What is YOUR Concealed Handgun Etiquette?????
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Concealed Handgun Permit holders all are aware of the “gun-free zone” concept, both those zones which are mandatory by law and those which are posted at discretion by property owners and managers.   These zones are clearly specified and these we readily respect and observe.

Now….how about this situation:

You are invited to a social event which happens to be at the private home of the host.   You normally carry concealed as you go out your own door.

So………..Do you carry a concealed handgun into the home of your host?

And if so, do you carry quietly and with no mention of that fact to anyone?

Or do you mention to your host that you just happen to be armed?

Or do you request permission when you first enter, if you do carry?

Or do you leave your handgun stowed in your parked auto so that it is not an issue to the host?

Or something else?    (Like hand it over to the host for safekeeping for the duration of your visit.   Sorta like checking your coat and hat.)???

Just exactly how do you do??

sfg[PS - I'm on the way to a Saturday afternoon social gathering.]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 11:28:13 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What is YOUR Concealed Handgun Etiquette?????
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Carry? Yes.  Say nothing about it.  Concealed is concealed. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
 these days it seems as tho all my friends carry to.  many are converts.  I don't have any anti gun friends. I guess when you get older, you get a better definition of what a friend is.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
I have carried in many people's homes whether they were pro or anti. As has been said, concealed is concealed, and the more I unnecessarily handle the firearm, the better chance that human error will cause an ND. Whereas, keeping it in one spot (on my person) and not touching it unless it needs to be used, is the safest plan in my mind.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
It depends on the host. The more trouble being discovered is likely to cause, the deeper your concealment needs to be. If you know that the host would throw you out for carrying, my opinion is that you should RSVP your regrets. If asked why, you can explain. It's really no different from handing an anti-gun business a "No guns = No money" card.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:08:14 PM »
I once shook the hand of the Lincoln Mayor while armed at a private home, and at the time my etiquette was split depending on the property owner.

Now with today's headlines at top of mind, I am pretty much a concealed is concealed guy, but that can mean my social life is pretty well dead, as I don't frequent gun free zones.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 05:45:16 PM »
My rule on that is if there will be alcohol consumed and I want to have some, even just one beer or glass of wine with dinner, I leave my gun at home.  Otherwise I keep it on me.  If they do not trust me with a gun then they are either a brainwashed liberal nitwit or they don't trust me period, and either way we probably don't have enough in common to be hanging out together.  I just don't have much use for bigots, and liberal bigots are among the worst. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
What they don't know certainly won't hurt them but could possible save their lives if the need arose.  If they post or make a blanket statement about forbidding guns then I'm leaving without regret, and a suggestion that they put a sign on their lawn stating that they do not own guns nor have any in their house.  Many anti-2A depend on the possibility that there may be a gun in their house, thus they are like, Canada depending on the US military shield, depending on our expression of the 2A.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
I don't have anti-gun friends.  But for the sake of your question, let's say I did.  My way to proceed would be to inform the host, prior to the event, of my intent to carry.  If the host has a problem with it then I'd forgo the event.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
I have informed friends that I carry, and asked if that is a problem when invited into their homes. So far, the answer has been, no problem, come on in.
WØCHF

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
Concealed Handgun Permit holders all are aware of the “gun-free zone” concept, both those zones which are mandatory by law and those which are posted at discretion by property owners and managers.   These zones are clearly specified and these we readily respect and observe.

Now….how about this situation:

You are invited to a social event which happens to be at the private home of the host.   You normally carry concealed as you go out your own door.

So………..Do you carry a concealed handgun into the home of your host? yes  i treat stores i want to shop this way a house is no different to me. if i can't carry then i don't go in.

And if so, do you carry quietly and with no mention of that fact to anyone? yes if your telling people you carry it's no longer concealed

Or do you mention to your host that you just happen to be armed? no unless asked

Or do you request permission when you first enter, if you do carry? no if i felt it necessary to ask i would do so when i was invited not when standing at their door

Or do you leave your handgun stowed in your parked auto so that it is not an issue to the host? yes  if i am going to consume an adult beverage i have a cabled lock box for this reason

Or something else?    (Like hand it over to the host for safekeeping for the duration of your visit.   Sorta like checking your coat and hat.)??? HELL NO my gun stays in my possession even if the host has a gun safe..so what if the host gets drunk and passes out you going to leave your gun there till your both got time to meet up may be days later ? can a kid get in the safe ? kids see more then we like them too that 12345 code may be know by more then just the host 

Just exactly how do you do??

if while at the event i am asked if i am carrying "some one see's an out line" or "they talk with there hands and hit the gun/holster" or "horse play like go to poke ya in the gut and instead hit the gun/holster " etc  if carrying is an issue then i say my good byes and leave.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
I was part of a wedding this weekend and had to wear a suit, sweat like a stuck pig I might add, and also carried.  The only people who knew that I was carrying were the people who know that I normally carry.  The ceremony was at a friend's house, who does not know I carry, and I did not ask them for permission. Had there been an issue i would have locked it in the vault in the truck.
When I am carrying and we go somewhere for a drink I lock it in the vault and go to have fun with friends.

My rule of thumb is I carry unless you tell me not to do so and at that point I determine if I need to stay or go. I have never actually had someone ask me not to carry onto their property. I am sure it will eventually happen, but then I will probably just leave if it happens.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »
Wherever my penis goes so goes my gun ... I dont't show no one my penis and I don't show no one my gun

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »
I have thought about this question many times over the past few years... the main time it comes into question for me is when my (now 5 year old) daughter is invited to a birthday party.   I can hear the soccer mom's questioning 'why anyone would carry a gun to a kids party' if it were to be accidentally exposed. 

I have also had a handful of times where a female aquaintance comes in for a quick hello or goodbye hug & has noticed that I am carrying.  Only once was it completely awkward. 

I will say on the kids parties...I have left it in the car several times because I will horse around with my daughter & didn't want to risk exposure around the preschool parents.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
I have also had a handful of times where a female aquaintance comes in for a quick hello or goodbye hug & has noticed that I am carrying.  Only once was it completely awkward

More importantly, how is your wife with these acquaintances ? ;)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »
I have also had a handful of times where a female aquaintance comes in for a quick hello or goodbye hug & has noticed that I am carrying.  Only once was it completely awkward. 

"Is that your gun or are you just happy I stopped by?"
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
Wherever my penis goes so goes my gun ... I dont't show no one my penis and I don't show no one my gun

I feel it is a better world because of this.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
.....and I don't show no one my gun

I feel it is a better world because of this.

Well, it could be because he has an Ugly Gun.

Like...maybe....a Chiappa.

Or a HiPoint C9.

Just sayin'.............................

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Kodiak

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
Same as always. Carry quietly and if it comes up as a problem, I leave.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

You know when I went through Basic training all those years ago ...... ???

The Army DI's (taught us) drummed into us that those were both one in the same ...    (penis and Guns that is)  :o ::)   ((I'm surprised SemperFiGuy didn't say anything about it))             

Now after all these years I still carry my gun.....and at times a I carry a Weapon too as well ....     :P                  

But besides that aren't you worried about a premature discharge if it gets too excited ?  :o ;D                            
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:52:14 AM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"