< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Advice on setting up a private shooting range  (Read 2439 times)

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
Advice on setting up a private shooting range
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:38:41 AM »
Hello all, I recently purchased some land & would love any advice on setting up a private shooting spot. 

My initial plans are to have an area where I can shoot 100 yards as well as some where in the 25 yard range as well for pistol practice. 

How far am I required to be from a neighbors house to safely shoot? (In an opposite direction)

I plan on finding a spot that naturally goes into a hill if at all possible & build up an additional berm around it as well...what other things should I consider?    (Looking on Google earth, I have a few directions I could shoot that don't have a house for many miles)

Any recommendations on a structure & shooting benches?

Anything else that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for the advice!    -Justin
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Advice on setting up a private shooting range
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »
Here's one excellent source for information:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/shooting_ranges/outdoor_shooting_best_practices.pdf

Another excellent source is the NRAs
Range Source Book.
I have a loaner copy if you wish to check out that particular reference.

Primary issues for outdoor ranges are (a) sound escapement and (b) projectile escapement.   You'll want to minimize (a) and have zero (b).

Range firing line should face the north, if possible.

There's more.

For example, you'll want controlled access so that casual non-permitted users are kept out of the range area.   No Yahoos.

One more source: 

Google-video hickok45 and take a peek at his backyard range.
T'will make your tongue hang out in envy and admiration.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:20:14 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Anything else that I'm not thinking of?
Have you thought about throwing clay targets? requires a 200-300 yard shot fall zone for 7 1/2 shot
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
From a statutory perspective (hunter safety), you must be more than 300 yards from a home or structure that may house animals.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
That is an excellent resource SFG & I may take you up on the NRA range book as I move forward.

I watch quite a few of HiCock45s videos & that image floated through my head as I looked at properties...unfortunately I didn't see any that could be setup quite like that!

That is definitely something that I would like the capability to do Dan...so I would need up to 300 yards free in all directions that I'd be shooting clays?  Like a big pie shaped area?

Mudinyeri, I read somewhere yesterday that it was 200 yards but it wasn't an official site...just a blog post.  Is that 300 from where I setup to shoot, the targets, or does the entire range need to be that far away?

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:28:04 AM »
I live on 40 acres in Otoe county and I built my own range.  Access to it is strictly controlled.  It's surrounded by pine trees, so noise is somewhat cancelled.  For the backstop, I stacked some old railroad ties and blocked them in with T-posts.  Set up metal targets, paper targets, plinkers on the ground, even a pendulum-style moving target that plays "peek-a-boo" behind a "hostage".  An old truck bed toolbox collects the brass.  It's all hidden away pretty well and roughly 1.5 miles from any civilization from the firing line range.  Attached a pic for a better idea.  Happy to share any thoughts or answer any questions.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
From a statutory perspective (hunter safety), you must be more than 300 yards from a home or structure that may house animals.

Statute link?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
Statute link?

I surmise what Mud may be THINKing about is this i.e. Game & Parks distance ruling during hunting season.

https://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Deer-regs-2015.pdf

IIRC during pheasant season i.e. shotguns ... the rule is 50 yards from a dwelling ... but don't count on my recall

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
Mudinyeri, I read somewhere yesterday that it was 200 yards but it wasn't an official site...just a blog post.  Is that 300 from where I setup to shoot, the targets, or does the entire range need to be that far away?

Sorry, I fat-fingered that.  It is 200 (making sure I hit the right number on my keyboard) [two hundred] yards of an inhabited dwelling or feedlot.  And it is specific to rifle.  A land owner or lease holder may hunt (shoot) within 200 yards of a dwelling or feedlot on his or her own (leased) property.

The 200 yard rule is a regulation established by the Game & Parks under Title 163 of the Nebraska State Administrative Code.

Now, because it is a Game & Parks reg, it may or may not apply to a range. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:32:53 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »
Can you shoot from your snowmobile at targets on your own range?  ;)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »
Can you shoot from your snowmobile at targets on your own range?  ;)

Is it deer season?  Do you have a deer permit?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
Can you shoot from your snowmobile at targets on your own range?

Nope.

Cain't never ever shoot anythang from a snowmobile in Nebraska.

Can't even shoot from a snowmobile at nuthin'.

Can't even carry a loaded firearm on a snowmobile.

Can't even THINK about it.

If you wish a statutory reference, jthhapkido will look it up for you.

fyi,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »

sfg

Call the thought police!  I just thought about it.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »
Quote (selected)Can you shoot from your snowmobile at targets on your own range? Nope.
Cain't never ever shoot anythang from a snowmobile in Nebraska.
Can't even shoot from a snowmobile at nuthin'.
Can't even carry a loaded firearm on a snowmobile.
If you wish a statutory reference, jthhapkido will look it up for you.fyi,

Is it legal to shoot your snowmobile in Nebraska ?. ???

Damn now I have to Call the thought police! too........

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:17:09 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 05:07:02 PM »
Gulp....guess I'm busted. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 05:39:35 PM »
Sorry, I fat-fingered that.  It is 200 (making sure I hit the right number on my keyboard) [two hundred] yards of an inhabited dwelling or feedlot.  And it is specific to rifle.  A land owner or lease holder may hunt (shoot) within 200 yards of a dwelling or feedlot on his or her own (leased) property.

The 200 yard rule is a regulation established by the Game & Parks under Title 163 of the Nebraska State Administrative Code.

Now, because it is a Game & Parks reg, it may or may not apply to a range. 

This one?

"Permission is required to hunt on private land. It is unlawful to hunt with a rifle within 200 yards of an occupied dwelling or feedlot without specific permission for that purpose or within 100 yards using other methods."

(Quote from here:  https://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Deer-regs-2015.pdf --if anyone has the a link to the actual Game and Park written reg for this, I'd appreciate seeing it.)

Because there is an interesting statement there about 1) without specific permission, and 2) "hunt" instead of "shoot" (because those definitely aren't the same thing, and you could easily prove that).

Personally, I wouldn't think that would have any bearing on range requirements.  (NOT a lawyer.)  However, since you aren't hunting, hunting regulations wouldn't apply, IMO.

...as an addendum, the snowmobile rule really is ridiculous.  :)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
All right................

Looky Here:   I just happen to know that you immediately up-above poster guys are entirely and totally capable of revving up your Sno-Cat, accelerating up alongside the Great Bull Elk, leaping up from the Sno-Cat, grabbing the Bull by the horns, wrestling the elk to a soft snow landing, spitting the leather laces from your teeth directly into your hands, trussing up the elk by all four legs, and leaping up to raise your hands high in the air.

All in under 8 seconds.

So why is anyone talking about shooting anythang from the Sno-Cat?????

Instead, We should all be sucking up to jFader, who will soon have his very own private shooting range and will need some shooting buddies who will stand around and admire his shooting.

sfg

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
Instead, We should all be sucking up to jFader, who will soon have his very own private shooting range and will need some shooting buddies who will stand around and admire his shooting.

^^^Truth.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't think that would have any bearing on range requirements.  (NOT a lawyer.)  However, since you aren't hunting, hunting regulations wouldn't apply, IMO.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Might as well push it and see.

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »
I am going to attempt to be as far away from the neighbors as possible due to the noise.  It appears that I have several directions that I can shoot where there isn't a house for a long ways.   My lot is a 20+ acre rectangle measuring approx 675' x 1350'.

There is a house on the 20 acres west of me & the owner is retired air force.  He indicated that they both have CHPs & enjoy occasional shooting although he mentioned he wasn't a huge fan of rifle hunters who previously hunted the land.

There is also a small house near the road on the 20 acres east of me & one house to the south.  I need to clear more before I determine a spot, but I am hoping to shoot in a southeast direction.  There is a large area where there isn't a house for several miles. 

My initial plan after clearing some space is to rent some equipment & build up a earth berm. (Hopefully add to an existing one)
 I envision a carport type of roof over a shooting bench or 2 & being an electrician I will definitely have power & lights out there.  Also I'd like to plant a lot of trees surrounding this entire setup.

Hopefully I bought far enough outside of town that I will never live next to a subdivision... we are likely 1-3 years away from building a house on site but a pole barn may be next year's project. 

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member