< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Question for those of you who travel  (Read 957 times)

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
Question for those of you who travel
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »
So basically, I recently moved to Iowa from Nebraska, and in Nebraska I had my CCW.  Obviously now that I have moved and have my new Iowa drivers license, my NE CCW is invalid.  I was hoping to have my IA CCW before this trip, but it didn't work out.  I'm going to be driving to Oklahoma soon, (So Ill be driving through Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma), would I be OK packing a pistol?  In its case, somewhere in the backseat of my truck.  I do not have an Iowa purchase permit either.  I guess I'm just not really familiar with NOT having a CCW, and the laws and how LEO's feel about this stuff.  Was hoping someone that's a little more familiar with this stuff chime in on weather its a big deal or not.  Thanks!

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Question for those of you who travel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:48 AM »
I would go to handgunlaw.us and look at each states laws.

From what I remember a out Iowa, they considered guns loaded if the magazine was loaded.  However that was also before they passed shall issue CCW.

John K

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:37 AM »
............would I be OK packing a pistol?

Here it is, at the Federal level:

====================================
18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Current through Pub. L. 114-38. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(Added Pub. L. 99–360, §?1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
==========================================

Please note carefully that this provision is for the transportation of firearms and not for the concealed carry of firearms.

Carrying concealed without a valid permit can create a whole lot of hassle.
  And brig time.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:34:14 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
Easy ..... Nebraska is OC ....Kansas is a Constitutional Carry State now, and OK is an OC state now as well ....   BAM !!!  That just happened.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:23:04 AM by bullit »