< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Flashlights and Rechargeable batteries  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Flashlights and Rechargeable batteries
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
I have recently developed an  interest in LED flashlights and the use of rechargeable AA's and RCR123A Li-on batteries. 

The miser in me decided I was spending too much money on throw away batteries for my work lights, self defense lights, hearing protection and a gazillion other uses at home.

I have chosen to use a Maha C9000 smart charger and Sanyo Eneloops in AA and AAA.
If you do much research on rechargeable AA's you will definitely hear about the Eneloop

I also bought a set of  Tysonic RCR123A cells and a charger from http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ that are mostly unknown, but I have gotten good service from them so far. Maybe my days of buying CR123A's by the dozen are over.

And, I found some rechargeable N cells for my Pro Ears  hearing protection.
These can hopefully be recharged in the AA bays with a spacer. A pair of Duracell N batteries were costing me $6 at the local stores and they have not had very good run times. This seems to be typical of N cells. These rechargeables are $2.95 each and if they work out they can be reused 500-1000 times. Could see a big savings here

My next purchase after looking around on the web forums is a pair of  small, inexpensive LED  flashlights. The Romisen RC-N3 II Q5 http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-123/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II-Cree/Detail is convertible from a single CR123A size to a 2 AA size and has a high and medium mode. I like to use the RCR123A sized light clipped on to  my hat for hands free operation, and still have the option of using the light with 2  AA's. Very nice, bright  little light for $24.

So far this tough little lamp has taken a ride through the auger on my snowblower...

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Flashlights and Rechargeable batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:23:58 AM »
thanks for posting this, but i have one concern...... it is: what if the apocalypse or "other scary" related event happens and there is no electricity to recharge your rechargeable batteries?  i thought about this a little bit and would you think about having some nonchargeables handy for just in case?

i know its not really related, but i was just curious about your opinion.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »
I use rechargables, and you can use some chargers in the car. My thoughts are to set up a 12 volt back up system, and attach the charger to that.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
Yes,  many chargers are 12 volt capable and there are many solar chargers available now. I am not really looking towards TEOTWAWKI

I use my lights and hearing protection every day at work, so I am really doing this more to save a buck
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
Just looking around the web, I would try to setup a solar 12v trickle charger on an automotive battery and use that for utility  power and  small battery charging.

I could see an automotive charging system being adapted to provide 12v power after  a lot of muscle power (provided by the user) is applied
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:51 PM »
i didn't know about the car charging.  thats awesome!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official