< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I've Gone And Done It!!  (Read 1640 times)

A-FIXER

I've Gone And Done It!!
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:40:14 AM »
Well I couldn't help myself and I put on layaway, An Savage model 10 predator .223 with scope 3X9X40 with accu-trigger and oversized bolt handle at cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0074737217304a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=savage+predator&sort=all&Go.y=11&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=19&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
What you guys think it was the last one in .223 yes they had one in .243 but the ammo surplus for .223 is great and the scope was the same pattern as the rifle. I have 90 days if I choose not to get it, using it for yote's and such.... help me out gang.
thanks for your input.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: I've Gone And Done It!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:15:30 AM »
BUY!!BUY!!BUY!!  The Savage Model 10 is a great rifle and very accurate!   Work up a load for it-it'll take time but well worth it!!!!  Does it have the heavy barre??  Regardless, you'll be very happy with it!   

You might try the Sierra 69gr MKHPBT.  Varget powder.  Neck sizing the cases.  Remington Bench Rest primers.  Also, try and find out the overall length of the case with bullet where you're about .001-.002 off the lands and grooves!!!!!!

It'll take time but a "recipe" for this rifle will make it very accurate!!    My "recipe" for my model 10 in .223 will shoot sub 1/2 in groups at 100yds with my best shooting a .398" 5-shot group.  Same recipe shot a 5-shot group measuring .745" at 300yds.

Congrats my friend! 
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:11:54 AM »
You're going to love it.  I have a 12FV in .223 that shoots very well.  Mine seems to like the Sierras too.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
I have forgotten the golden rule of the NFOA.........................................................Buy Buy Buy and yes it has the heavy barrel with a taper to it. and since you guys have the like type rifles I'll sure it well be great. Now I have to wait until I get it, because I'm still waiting for my class 3 paperwork to go through Exeter Arms it's been about since september but like ALL good things take time, thats a good place to start on the load workup Glock 1 and I will try those getting the headspace round within those will be key.. the scope is a pentax 3-9-40 not a high end glass tube but it just looked so good I did not want to pass it up with the gift card and 20.00 coupon off put it at 650.00 at the time of sale.
LOL I was shoping for my son and now he'll have to settle for Socks, for x-max (electric ones) but I guess in the long run when I pass he will get the better end of my shopping experience and as in all thing my 2 kids will get all of'em 1-boy 1-girl and yes they are both shooters and hunters so I know they not end up in someones closet or getting sold to pass on to future grand kids (none yet) and I'm getting to that age where I feel that I would like to see some grand kids Ya Never Just Know When Your Called Home....
What I would have like better would have been at least a 24'' barrel but the shorter one may help get those last minute yotes that you see through the coner of you eye so the shot swing and not the long stick maybe just the tickets.
Thanks Glock 1,bkoenig, for your knowledge
A-FIXER
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:24:33 AM by A-FIXER »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »
I think you will find like I did that 9X is not enough for .223. I wish I had gone for a 4X14 or thereabouts
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »
Just an FYI, their website list the barrel as being 1/9 twist, so you should be OK for heavier, but not the the super-heavy bullets.  You'll just have to experiment to see what it likes.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
I bought a Swift 6-18 scope from E.A. Brown and I've been very happy with it for the price.  It works well on my .223.