< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What is my handgun worth? And where to sell..  (Read 1845 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Forum Member
What is my handgun worth? And where to sell..
« on: August 26, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »
I have a Sig P250 9mm full size and I am trying to figure out how much it may be worth as I am looking to sell it and get a smaller handgun for carry. I bought it an auction a few years ago and not sure the best way to go about selling it legally.

Its a modular gun so I have the conversion kit to make it into a .40 as well, it takes less than 60 seconds to swap from 9mm to .40 an vice versa. I also have several magazines for both 9mm and .40 as well as a sig paddle holster.

Any advice on what I might be able to sell it for and the best way to do it?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: What is my handgun worth? And where to sell..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »
Gunbroker completed auction searches are a pretty good way to get an idea of a gun's value.  Of course, condition, round count and other factors come into play.  It looks like P250's have recently sold for anywhere from $329 to $399 on Gunbroker.

Selling on this forum is usually a pretty good way to go.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:20:35 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
Private sales are fine, just make sure to require a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or Handgun Purchase Certificate.  If you don't want to sell privately, you'll want to go through an FFL so you'll have to either eat the transfer fee (usually between $20-30), or include that in your asking price. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
Gunbroker, Armslist, and there is that other startup site MeWe (didn't join, don't know if that even applies anymore.

One other option is to find a shop that consigns guns, that way it's all handled on their end and after their cut (usually 10-20%) you get a check.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
Private sales are fine, just make sure to require a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) or Handgun Purchase Certificate.  If you don't want to sell privately, you'll want to go through an FFL so you'll have to either eat the transfer fee (usually between $20-30), or include that in your asking price. 
Somehow I had the idea that all handgun sales in Nebraska had to go through an FFL to be legal.  So am I correct now in assuming that I was wrong, and private sales are legal as long as the buyer shows the seller either a CHP or purchase permit (and presumably a Nebraska drivers license)?
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »
So am I correct now in assuming that I was wrong, and private sales are legal as long as the buyer shows the seller either a CHP or purchase permit (and presumably a Nebraska drivers license)?

YES
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »
Watch out for Bullit.

He tells Unsuspecting Folks that their handguns are only worth $50 and that you should sell it to him.

On the upside, he does pay cash and always presents both his CHP and his NE Blue Card.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
You could try and trade either with another person or at a gun store. Alsk gun show season is coming up and so is an election.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
Somehow I had the idea that all handgun sales in Nebraska had to go through an FFL to be legal.  So am I correct now in assuming that I was wrong, and private sales are legal as long as the buyer shows the seller either a CHP or purchase permit (and presumably a Nebraska drivers license)?

Thank God they haven't passed a law like that here in Nebraska ;D ......Yet.! :o

However the peoples republic of Omaha comes close....
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

As Dan said, yes you are now correct.  Here is the source: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2403

So, while the vast majority of handgun transfers require either a CHP or Purchase Certificate, there is no requirement to go through an FFL.  I also like to point out to people (who are willing to listen) that there is no "gunshow loophole" or "private sales loophole" in that statute.  Unless one of the exceptions applies to you, a permit is always required for handgun transfers.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:45:29 AM by HuskerXDM »
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline husker3in4

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! So if I sell it privately, would I need to document it somehow? Like type something up in word and make a copy of the buyers permit?

Also, given the information above (type of handgun, conversion kit, mags) would any of you be interested?

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! So if I sell it privately, would I need to document it somehow? Like type something up in word and make a copy of the buyers permit?

Also, given the information above (type of handgun, conversion kit, mags) would any of you be interested?

The two times that I've done this, I've always included a bill of sale that included the buyers Nebraska purchase permit.

This is the one that I've used: https://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

There's a form blank listed CWL that I cross that out and write Nebraska purchase permit number.  Two copies of it, one for you, one for buyer.  That way if there is ever an issue, my rear end is covered as best I can.