< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looks like the indoor range in Lincoln is closing....  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looks like the indoor range in Lincoln is closing....
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
man... if that was somewhere more central (even 33rd & A would be better), there would be some great potential.  my wife's uncle runs the Harry Koch range in Omaha... maybe I'll talk with him a bit.

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 08:16:10 PM »
Hartley Group LLC owns the property, 2734 N 48th ST.
That property is owned by R D Hinkley and Associates.
Property is valued at 200k.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:28 AM »
There might be a lot of volunteers if some one were to take the time to make the needed improvements. Maybe we should all pool our cash.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
Hartley Group LLC owns the property, 2734 N 48th ST.
That property is owned by R D Hinkley and Associates.
Property is valued at 200k.

that would mean an initial capital requirement of at least 80K... you'll need at least 60K to get a loan on the rest and I can't imagine it taking less than $20K to get it up and running.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
So what is the interest in committing to keep it going, not investment wise but in giving it the business if was new owners, cleaned up, etc. It does not make expenses now, and would have to quadruple income to be feasible.

What is a nice range worth to all of you?
 How much per hr is fair?
 Are leagues possible?
 if FFL possible, reloading sales, used guns, what products would be of interest?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
To be completely honest, I still probably wouldn't use it as I have a membership at the Ike's. 

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
Just to let you guys know you will have a problem next door.  The retired LEO wants the range next to his bee place gone!  He has all the cars towed right away when parked on his side!  Buy the whole place that would be the only way!  I agree that Jeff at NE Gun would be a good range operator.  What we really need is the range GI has!  The Ike's is a good gun club but they are more of shot gun club.  I am afraid that new development is closing in on them for handgun and rifle in the future.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 06:49:52 AM »
New development around the Ikes shouldn't be a problem with the shooting range protection act.

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
Thats good to hear bkoenig!  I was concerned because the last time I shot there they seemed to be getting some pressure from the residents in the development.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
As long as we keep all the bullets from leaving the range, the Ikes will be in good shape now that the range protection bill has passed.

If somebody gets stupid and shoots over the berms into a house, all bets are off
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »
The Ikes is a great place. I will have my first membership there this year. But an indoor range beats standing in the cold at 7:35 pm in January.
I for one would use both and shot there more if it were a decent place with working equipment and a bathroom that was cleaner than a tipped over port-a-potty.
I know my wife and a neighbor lady would go with me. I have other friends that say they would go but they hear the same stories over and over about the conditions. I personally think that business would double or triple in the first few months. When I first went there some 17yrs ago it was also a gun shop. It would have to be more than a range to survive.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
I live closer to Ikes so that's my usual haunt.

I've been to Season's Choice several times over the years and before it was owned by Don. I have to agree with Chris. It's a dump and $100k for the business? What business?

I think anyone who had that much to invest in a Indoor Shooting Range in Lincoln, which I'm all for, would be smarter to start from scratch. Maybe West O or somewhere more central at least.  Leasing for a business like this can't be wise either. Facilities need to be more advanced as well. Doesn't make sense to purchase the business, lease the property and then try and improve the facilities. That's just throwing money away.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
the only good location is a cheap one near people with enough money to spend... 

in Lincoln, that is a tough order

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
I have never been there, but I live down the street from the current owner and if he keeps his business like he does his house I can only imagine what it is like. I heard a good idea for the place a while back. That is to have several people go in together and buy it and then lease it out for handgun training. Basically what I am saying is if an instructor wants to hold NRA/CHP classes they can get keys from the owner(s) and hold the classes. That way you wouldn't need to pay someone to be there all the time. But $100,000 is steep.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
I, like many other instuctors I suspect, would take it over (i.e., take over the lease) if the terms of the lease were workable.  I do think the best use of the facility in the beginning is classes...being an NRA instructor, Training Counselor, CCW etc....I have enough ego to think I could make the basic financial nut....but don't think there is enough existing business to pay any premium for the right to take it over.   I would be surprised if someone actually bought it....but, Don told me there was an offer on the table for a fairly substantial amount....and if true, and I were him, I would be cashing the check now.

If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:04 PM »
It would be nice to have something like this for instructors. I am a NRA instructor myself, I haven't done much for training because I don't have a place to hold classes.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis