< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looks like the indoor range in Lincoln is closing....  (Read 4306 times)

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
Looks like the indoor range in Lincoln is closing....
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
I was talking today to Don Miller (owner of Season's Choice Range in Lincoln), trying to arrange use of his facility in February for some classes.  He said that his health has  been poor and as a result he was closed a lot these past several months.  He is closing the doors effective the end of January.

Regardless of  your feelings about the range, clearly it needed some upgrades, it is (soon "was") the only option in Lincoln, and given the right owner that has the  time and money, it might well be a money maker.  I encourage you to stop in...greet Don....wish him well....and if you ever wanted to own a range,.... and put your business  stamp on it......well....... who knows .....
If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Looks like the indoor range in Lincoln is closing....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:20:13 AM »
Saw just this morning, Seasons choice is for sell, (listed on craigslist)  Looks like $100000 and its yours! I do wish I was in a position to do some bargining with him, but all my lotto tickets end up defective :'(
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
I think I will look into the possiblity of grant money to keep it open.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
If anyone is in the position to take over the range, let me know, I work nights and could help run the place part time during the day. In trade for some range time, of course ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
Here is my analysis of the practicality of buying/taking over the range.

1. The range, as an operating business,  has very little value, if any;
2. the value of "good will" is limited;
3. any value based upon its income history, is limited
4. value of "inventory" is nil
5. value of "fixtures" is very limited;
6. the value of the lease is unknown
7. can the business license be simply taken over
8. to clean it up, and do some very basic remodeling would be in the $10-15K range I would suspect
9. it is too small to make it as a business venture without something else (FFL, gunsmith, accessories; perhaps teaching classes)

That being said, if I could simply "take it over", I would.  But, paying for it?  Nope.  I just do not believe it has value as a viable ongoing business.  It's biggest value may be the lease, and perhaps future speculative worth.  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:22:11 PM by phorvick »
If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
too bad a local gun store wouldn't mind moving in there and using it for a shooting range and gun store.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »
too bad a local gun store wouldn't mind moving in there and using it for a shooting range and gun store.

Agreed, Lincoln could use another gun store.  We don't have many to choose from anymore.  Nebraska Gun is a good little store but pretty small.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

Agreed, Lincoln could use another gun store.  We don't have many to choose from anymore.  Nebraska Gun is a good little store but pretty small.

maybe jeff would move into that store and expand.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
If somebody pays $100,000 for that place......... WOW, that's all I can say, wow.

$100k wouldn't even be a deal if that was purchasing that property and building, let alone it is leased???????

What do you get for $100k????????

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
I do hope someone takes it over and makes a go of it.  Personally I never used the place much because I can shoot all I want at the Izaak Walton range, but the more places to shoot the better.  I agree that $100K is pretty steep when all you're buying is just the name.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 11:18:36 PM »
See,  there is the rub...no one wants to shoot there because the place is a dump, the ventilation and heating suck, and the last two owners were oblivious to customer service.

One( the previous owner) put down anyone that owned a firearm not made by Smith & Wesson, made up bull**** lead disposal fees, added charges for using your own ammo.

The next one was just goofy, and  made some really ignorant statements to me about the CHP laws and refused to listen to the facts. On my last trip there I was charged 39 bucks for an hour and a half of range time and some targets. Mr. Don was pissed because I picked up my own brass... I gave him 2 20's and told him to keep the change, as he would be needing it. I would not be back...

Anywhere else was better, cheaper and more fun, less hassle.

As far as I am concerned it is no big loss
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »
All the more reason for somebody good to take it over, since apparently we arent getting any NEW range anytime soon...
N0ZXR

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
maybe jeff would move into that store and expand.

That would be awesome...a regular gunshop like he has now, plus a range where you can try before you buy.  He's a good guy and has some pretty loyal customers.  I bet he could make a go of it.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »
Yes, but the excitement of being in Jeff's neighborhood adds so much to the firearm shopping experience. 

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »
I have only shot there twice in the last year. That was the first time since 1991. Tough to go there when you are charged what ever #$ came to mind and the equipment never worked right.
I have said if I had the money I would love to own a business like that and incorporate reloading supplies. My problem is my lottery tickets were also printed with error's (wrong #'s).
If Jeff or someone like him were able to take over or better yet buy the building, I personally would volunteer time and what ever else I could to remodel and then use the place. Lincoln no doubt needs an indoor range and I hope something good becomes of it.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
Here is what I see a wise business person doing...

Option 1
He is leasing the range (west) side of the building and the east end of the building has a lessee.  If someone wants to actually make an investment, they would look into buying the entire property.  If he doesn't pay his lease, then it is your property to do with as you desire.  Terminate the lease (evict "Season's Choice") and re-open it with renovations (please!) and a new name.

Option 2
Next option if you don't want to invest in real estate...wait until he defaults on his lease.  No one, regardless of how much money they have, would continue to pay a lease when the business has no revenue.  Talk to the property owner now so that he/she knows you are interested to fill their revenue void.  Find out what, if anything, they are willing to fund in the way of renovations.  Probably nothing, but it is worth asking.

Fly
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:02:59 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
Option 3
Maybe NFOA could take ALL of its revenue and buy the place.  ;D

Fly

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »
NFOA having control of a commercial entity like that sounds like a tax/paperwork nightmare!  However would be cool for several NFOA members to buy it as a partnership and donate range time/classroom time to NFOA.. hmmm.
N0ZXR

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »
I'm in for $50.   ::)

Fly

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
Well, a little bird told me that the city & NE Fish and Game are looking in to doing something on North 44th / Boosalis Park area.  I heard it will only be small arms...meaning only .22 rim fire and some indoor archery!  I guess it has something to do with the removal of the old indoor range, and the project that they are doing over in the North Bottoms.  I don't know exactly where they are at with the project, but there might still be time to talk to someone about making the range ?fully functional?.

I would suggest someone that is a representative of the club, and wants to see shooting in the Lincoln area grow PM me for more info.  I can see if I can get a meeting with them and the proper people that are working on the project.  Don's name was on the list, but never went to a meeting, as well as someone from the Bullet hole, and a couple other shooting ?clubs? around town.