< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Earthquake!  (Read 644 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Earthquake!
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:18:52 AM »
Wasn't sure which section to start this in.
I felt it about 7:04. I was stopped at a red light at Cornhusker and 36th when my truck started shaking like it was in high winds. I looked around and the wind wasn't blowing. Then I wondered if my engine was coming off it's blocks  ???. Finally, I remembered a similar event from when I lived in SoCal: Earthquake  :o. From experiencing several of them in my time in Kalifornia, I knew it was a big one somewhere.
5.6 in Pawnee Ok.

Edited to add: I called the wife to see if she felt it, she didn't but had wondered why the hangers in the closet were rattling.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:34:35 AM by Waltherfan »

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »
i wonder if this is a natural event or if it's from Fracking ?
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »
I'm not up to date on the fracking theory of earthquakes, so I don't know.  I did read that geologists think the epicenter was about 4 miles deep in Oklahoma, which they also said is pretty shallow for earthquakes.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
Slept right through it. I have heard several people talking about it this morning, however.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »
Setting on the can when it and I started shaking!   :o   Lasted about 15 seconds.  My 2nd floor apt made it seem worse.  East-west movements of about an inch.

The fault where it occurred in north central OK was 20,000 feet deep (5 Km).   It occurred where the Upper Crustal Rock meets the Paleozoic sedimentary rock at the tip of the Wichita Fault line

Contrary to politically correct opinion it was not caused by pumping used  brine back into the earth.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:48:34 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:57:23 PM »
Felt it here near Mid town this morning
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
Shortly after 7 am, I was woken up and felt my bed shaking.

Didn't know why or what was going on.  Thought maybe I was dreaming, even though I was "awake".

Saw the news scroll on the tv, but never put it together until about noon.  Probably after I really "woke up".   :P  :laugh:

I wonder if that's why channel 8 is off the air?  One of their signals is non-existent.  Won't get fixed until Tuesday, either.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
Felt in Lincoln. Thought my wife was shaking my chair, then saw the tv shake, shades move and hanging light move. My wife and daughters never noticed it.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »
I was on the computer in our den this morning, felt my office chair kind of gently rocking too and fro.
I thought maybe I was imagining something then I started hearing a clicking noise from my basement, and looked over and our bathroom door was moving back and forth a couple of inches.
Then about a minute later I felt another tremor much less powerful, and the bathroom door was just quivering a bit.
That is the first time I have ever experienced an earthquake.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
I was in Indiana when it happened.  I leave Nebraska for three days, and everything goes to hell. 

But we will rebuild.  What doesn't destroy us makes us stronger. 

I don't care what Mr. Geek says: it was either caused by fracking, global warming, or it was Bush's fault.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
I was standing in the middle of a dozen 30 ton stamping presses, didn't notice a thing.  Office folks got all sort of excited though. :D
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane