< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Should I buy this? (link included)  (Read 1701 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Should I buy this? (link included)
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=593346

how much would a reciever cost for this?

ive been keeping track of this since i saw a posting on ar15.com.  any thoughts?

ps - its not a class 3 firearm.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Should I buy this? (link included)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
A lower receiver will cost between $100-$125.  Paying $645 + s/h puts you about $800 and it still needs to be assembled!  Looks like a great project.  I built my M4 for $525.

You can get a NEW parts kit from Model 1 sales and then get a lower receiver for alot less!  Not telling you how to spend your money, but I personally would pass it up just for the price!

www.model1sales.com

Thanks! B.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:34:27 PM by Glock 1 »
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
  $599 at J&G sales(backordered) but check out the picture:

Notice the barrel is not finished, has not had the front sight attached(special fixture needed to be attached properly) and the kit possibly come with burst or full auto parts.  The ATF has ruled that possession of those parts constitutes the possession a class III weapon.

I would definitely pass.  There are much better deals out there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:54:56 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Rick is correct.  I believe there is 7 parts to make an AR go Fast-ATF's position is if you have only 1 of any of these 7 items constitutes possession of a machine-gun!

I wouldn't take the chance.

Agreeing with Rick, there are complete kits out there that have all the "correct" and "legal" components that are alot cheaper!

Thanks! B.
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
ya, those are all good points.  i emailed that company and they said it does not have the reciever or the disconnector so its not a functional firearm so it can be shipped to my house.  they did not mention anything about the other insides which make a MG.  ive decided to pass on this even though i wouldn't mind another addition to my collection.

i gotta save up for a really good sight for my AR.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official