< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cabelas asking for my ph# and using a white form  (Read 3201 times)

A-FIXER

Cabelas asking for my ph# and using a white form
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »
Well, I just couldn't wait and headed back to cabelas to get the savage 10 predator. And the first thing they asked for was my phone # and I have already produced the firearm permit and drive lic. Now my question is just why were they filling out a white form instead of the normal yellow the salesman could not give me a knowledgeable answer and I stopped right there until I could ask ALL OF YOU, this seems out of place yes they were busy and the salesman didn't want to ask anyone else sooo...... I left right there and didn't finish the sale....Can you guys/girls help me with this question...if this is something new maybe I won't be buying from cabelas anymore this summer when I got a handgun was the last sale I made.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Cabelas asking for my ph# and using a white form
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »
Not sure as I have never bought a gun there.  Could it have been for the warranty or something?
I'm not finding anything on the subject doing a google search.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »
Last time I bought from them I was told the phone number was in case they needed to contact me at a later date if I had made a mistake on the form. As to the white form I believe that is the color I filled out at the Freemont show when I bought my Sig.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Glock 1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »
My question is-is the white form you're talking about a 4473 (ATF 4473)?  If so, the ATF sent us FFLs new designed Yellow colored forms stating we could NOT use the White forms any longer and doing so would be a violation.  These "new" forms were sent to us earlier this year!

I would ask Cabelas why they're using the "old" form that is white when they're supposed to use the "new" yellow form!  I would NOT fill out the white one due to possible need to fill out the yellow one later once they received them from the printing office!  Then they have 2 forms in their files and would need to destroy the white form which is a violation on their part!

Then again, you were doing what the FFL (Cabelas) said to do and their supposed to keep up on the laws!  If their having you do the old white form because they haven't received their New supply of yellow forms yet then I'd purchase the rifle, fill out the form and let them worry about the rest!!!  Can't come back on you as they are the transferor!
"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and never apologize for anything." - Harry Truman
Politics is made up of 2 words. 'Poli' meaning 'many' in Latin. 'tics' meaning 'bloodthirsty creatures'.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
Thanks all, now I guess it would be going back to the store when time allows and try the process again. Glock 1 it was inverted and it did not look like the 4473 and even when I looked at it the current white one they were using it did not look the same as the old one but, What struck me funny was he was filling it out not me? And I did fill out the old white forms and it looked like the yellow for the most part, but again I wasn't fill the darn thing out he was...weird hopefully I'll get a different salesman. And farmerrick was not warranty papers typical of any firearm purchase but again this will be my 1st new savage rifle other than my used purchased .22 from a priviate sale yrs ago. Mtncrash so they had you fill out a white one huh! Well maybe things have changed.
Thanks again all...merry x-mas

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
I believe that the  last time I purchased a firearm from Cabela's the 4473 was white.
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline LawyerJan

• NFOA Full Member
Worksheet??
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
I'm guessing they were using a photocopy of an original that they will then turn over to some poor clerk who will key in the info to upload and file electronically.

Here's the link to the ATF's site: http://www.atf.gov/applications/e4473/

The other possibility is that the jurisdiction (where the store is located) may be requiring a separate form for their records as well.
NRA, USCCA, NFOA

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »
Thanks Jan, I look it up and see if I can get a answer from cabelas as well will post what I find out.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »
I'm not sure about the gun counter, but at the registers they ask for your phone # as well.  What I have heard is that it goes to their internal marketing database.  They use the phone number like a personal identifier.  They match your register purchase against your online and phone purchases.  That info is used to determine what ads and coupons to send you.  This way they don't waste money printing and mailing special offers on reloading gear to someone who only buys fly fishing equipment.  Lots of companies do this.

They don't sell the info, at least not now, because they see it as a competitive advantage.