< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cop Shot  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Cop Shot
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
The recent "accidental" shooting of an off duty Omaha policeman has me perplexed. Perhaps y'all can explain to me how it conceivably could have happened.

Their story is that the landowner was "cleaning his revolver" when his acquaintance (the off duty officer) showed up unexpectedly. The landowner didn't realize the revolver was loaded and pulled the trigger, firing it and striking the officer in the abdomen.

Having owned revolvers, if I'm cleaning it, the cylinder is out and it's pretty obvious if there are rounds in the cylinder or not. If I'm done cleaning the inside and just wiping it down, I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I'd put rounds in the cylinder.

I was taught not to pull the trigger if the firearm was pointed at anyone I didn't intend to shoot.

Any ideas on how this happened?

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cop Shot
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
It has always amazed me how many people "accidentally" shoot somebody while supposedly cleaning their gun, since one of the parts you clean is the part where the ammo goes waiting to be fired.  As common as this seems to be, maybe how to unload a gun before cleaning it should be part of the CHP classes. 

Maybe he was trying to run a cleaning rod into a cylinder with a round in it (and he's blind so he couldn't see it) and the cleaning rod, which was a special type of cleaning rod with a small steel end on it, dented the primer, deep enough to fire the round.  The cylinder was swung out of the gun, but the bullet still had enough force behind it to injure the officer, even though it didn't go through the barrel.  I think this is about as likely as any other story about a gun going off while it was being cleaned.   

My guess he was playing with the gun, probably pointed it at his friend and pulled the trigger assuming it to be empty.  Or maybe there was an argument and a scuffle that escalated too far, and after the officer was shot they both decided it would be best to make up a story.  You'd think they could come up with something better than the overused gun cleaning story though.

That's all speculation of course.  My guess is we'll never know what really happened.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:27:44 PM »
 I think that " cleaning my gun and it went off" actually means " I was playing with my gun and it went off !"
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
I think that " cleaning my gun and it went off" actually means " I was playing with my gun and it went off !"
What he said.  :)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
All Firearms are Always Loaded.
No such thing as an Empty Gun.

Ever.

Like others up above, I'm thinkin' that all of these "........cleaning my gun........it went BANG!!!!" stories are just that:  stories.

Modern Fables.

Constructed to obviate and frustrate discovery of what actually happened

Cranky and Occasionally Cynical Guy
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 05:26:08 PM »
Brain fart.  It's always loaded......Always.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Brain fart.  It's always loaded......Always.
If you keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire, it still won't go off.

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
I don't believe a case can be made for an accidental discharge. Negligent discharge maybe, not accidental. Barring a catastrophic failure of a firearm i.e. think rem 700 faulty fire controls, every discharge not intended can be traced to failure to follow one of the Cardinal rules thus making it negligent.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »
If you keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire, it still won't go off.
Problem is there are many handguns that require you to pull the trigger to release teh slide for cleaning. Of course you should have already:
  • Removed the mag
  • Cleared the chamber
  • pointed the weapon in a safe direction
BEFORE pulling that trigger to release the slide. I will actually check the weapon several times before I even release the slide lock and same before pulling the trigger to release the slide. I am VERY diligent to verify it is cleared before doing anything.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »
As common as this seems to be, maybe how to unload a gun before cleaning it should be part of the CHP classes. 

It is.  Assuming the instructor is actually doing what they are supposed to in terms of having the required curriculum.

Quote from: shooter

I think that "cleaning my gun and it went off" actually means "I wasn't paying attention to the gun I was holding and I pulled the trigger."

They don't just "go off."  (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)  "It just went off!" is code for "I'm too stupid to realize I pulled the trigger."
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
Your all forgetting

This is the Media reporting  :o

Do we know that the media actually understands what cleaning a gun means ...
Or is this some buzzword like "an Assault rifle" ;D 
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
I remember hearing this on KFAB and the details at the time were pretty peculiar. On the radio they made it sound like the guy was dumping trash and "accidentally" got shot. Here is a write-up I found:

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Shooting-investigated-near-Bennington-393987631.html

BENNINGTON, Neb. (WOWT) - An off-duty Omaha police officer was wounded Monday morning in what's being called an "accidental shooting" northeast of Bennington.

An official source said Officer Ben Weidner went to a farm near North 156th Street and Pawnee Road where he routinely goes, with the property owner's permission, to dump yard waste.

Weidner showed up earlier than usual, just before 10 a.m. Jerry Byrnes, 70, had been cleaning a handgun when he unexpectedly encountered Weidner at his door. Byrnes was startled and reacted by squeezing the handgun and trigger. A shot was fired and struck Weidner in the abdomen.

Byrnes believed the gun to be unloaded at the time he was cleaning the exterior frame.

Weidner's mother, who is the nurse, was with him at the time and provided medical attention before he was taken to Nebraska Medicine in stable condition. Douglas County Sheriff's officials said Weidner underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

Douglas County Sheriff Investigators have interviewed Weidner, Byrnes and a witness at the scene. They said Byrnes and Weidner know each other and are on good terms. The shooting has been determined to be accidental. No criminal charges are expected.

Bold added for emphasis.

That helps a little. So Weidner was at Byrnes' door. Maybe Byrnes was aiming at the door and Weidner popped into view? I don't know. The story still seems a little goofy, but considering they are friends and there doesn't seem to be any foul play...

I guess it goes without saying that the four rules are there for a reason.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar