< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LHGK Injured Shooter Tactical Carbine AAR  (Read 773 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
LHGK Injured Shooter Tactical Carbine AAR
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »
After Action Review
Who: Rob Shoening www.lhgk.us 
What: Injured Tactical Carbine
When: 29 July 2016
Where: Council Bluffs, IA

We began with shooting a set of timed carbine standards. Each course of fire had a specific time standard to meet. We did four different standards, 1 shot, 2 shots, 2 shots on 2 targets and 2 shots reload 2 shots. I liked that the class allowed us to focus on the basics and gave us ample time to just refine our technique on the foundational skills that we need to run the carbine.

Once we felt comfortable with the basics of our rifle we moved on to running the gun one handed. Rob discussed a couple of different real-world instances where shooters had to operate their long gun single-handedly after one hand had been injured. One was a law enforcement shootout, the other two were from gunfights in Iraq. Since we know of actual instances where people have had to operate their firearm with one hand, due to injury, why not train for it? In case it does happen, we’ll now have a reference point of what to do when it does happen.

In setting up the drills, we held a tennis ball to simulate a non-functioning hand. We could use the arm anyway we want without letting go of the ball. We shot the carbine with one hand. Then we did firing and reloads with one hand. We did this each with the strong hand only then the weak hand only (or non-dominant hand, or left hand or “other shooting hand” etc) or whatever you want to call it. I was shown a couple of new techniques to do this. Option one was to pin the gun between our legs. Option two was to pin the gun to the ground with the barrel on the ground and the butt under your chin. Option three was to pin it against an object/wall/care tire etc in case you didn’t want to push your barrel  into the dirt. All three of these were valid techniques for me but my favorite was pinning the gun between my legs.

We then moved onto performing malfunctions with one hand by utilizing the same techniques. Handling the AR with one hand like this gave me a lot of confidence. I discovered a lot more of my capabilities and limitations with the firearm. We also went over the benefits of engaging the safety during these reloads. Even if you don’t regularly engage the safety when reloading, if you are messing with the weapon in a non-traditional way (or in a way that you are no accustomed to like with one hand or with the off hand) it is best to engage the safety first, then manipulate the weapon.

Then we put those skills to test where we were challenged to perform the techniques in a competition setting. Rob set up some basic courses of fire where we competed against each other for time and proficiency. We were challenged to perform safe gun handling, efficient technique, in a competition setting all while having accountability for each round fired.

The class taught the basics (marksmanship, reloads, malfunctions), then we practiced the basics under less than optimal conditions (off hand and with one hand). Then we tested those skills under peer stress and game stress. This course allowed me to practice the basics and improve my technique. After being challenged with these techniques, I have more confidence with the firearm.

For more classes and training AARs visit us at www.avoidthefight.com