< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Self defense 12 gauge shell  (Read 1235 times)

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Self defense 12 gauge shell
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:27:44 PM »
 saw those before, looks like a lawyers dream,   
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »
If it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. But I think shooter is right, in this day and age it's all about public perception. Especially if it came down to a civil case.

Two other cons;

1. Availabilty and Price: http://www.oathammo.com/tango-shotgun-round
Sorry, but almost $10 a shell? I haven't bought any in a couple of years, but I recall the low recoil Hornady 00 Buck shells I bought were about $1 each. $45 buys a very nice mix of buck and slugs for just about any defensive scenario I can think of.

2. I'm not impressed by the gel tests I found. Only 10" of penetration? I'm a fan of putting holes through vitals. I'd be very concerned about reaching those vitals to produce a stop. They went for massive expansion over penetration. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out shooting through heavy clothing causes premature expansion and penetration depth is even lower.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
Good points my friends.  $10 per shot would do more than recoil to make me flinch.  And a standard slug or buckshot load has such good stopping power it doesn't really need to be improved on. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
Cost aside, I'd rather have buckshot that penetrated to the optimum depth of 12" to 18".