< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .22mag Scope Mounts  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
.22mag Scope Mounts
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »
Hi All,

I have an older bolt action .22 magnum rifle that my father-in-law gave me for Xmas a few years back.  It shoots well but the non-adjustable iron sights just are nowhere near accurate.  I was wanting to do some varmint hunting with this one in the future but can?t do it with the sights that are on it. 

So, I am looking for options for putting a scope onto it.  It is not tapped for scope mounts, and I do not have access to the tools necessary to do it.  Not that there are any mounts out there that will fit it.  I was thinking along the lines of a side mount setup, or some type of clamp mount system, but the internet is a bit thin on reference items like this (at least that I can find, and I'm a pretty good internet researcher). 

Suggestions welcome, requested, and appreciated. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: .22mag Scope Mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
What brand is it?  There are a few places that make mounts which attach in place of the rear sight.  You have to use a long eye relief / handgun scope but it allows you to mount a scope without any permanent modifications.  Maybe someone makes one for yours.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »
Yeah...make, model and approximate year made would help out as far as determining what your options are. 
I take it that the rifle doesn't have the usual 3/8" scope-mounting groove on the top of the receiver?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »
good point farmerrick,

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:02:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  Your questions actually caused me to go pull it out of the case and attempt to identify make and model.  But at 3am, and without my glasses, it just is not happening.  :)

OTOH, I did note the 3/8" groove along the receiver.  So I suppose that I can mount a scope on it after all, without modification.  Now to find a scope that I can afford!  Oh well, off to work for another fun day of keeping the nations commercial aviation assets from being used as weapons!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX