< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun Cleaning Class?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline CrazyGolfNut

• NFOA Full Member
Handgun Cleaning Class?
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »
I am new to handguns.  I have taken a basic handgun class and a CCW class.  I am now looking for a hands on class that will help me learn how to clean a handgun.  The basic class that I took talked about but we never did it.  I am looking for a hands on “do it” type class.  Is there anyone in the Omaha area that teaches this?  Thanks.
“He flourished his sword, I pulled out my gun and shot him”
Harrison Ford / Indiana Jones

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Handgun Cleaning Class?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
PM sent.

Also forgot to mention in PM that the Web will have a large number of gun cleaning videos available for your review, such that you'll never need to attend a class or demonstration if you don't wish to do so.

Just Google "cleaning a Glock 23" or whatever specific handgun you wish to clean.

You'll get hits.

One point to understand early in the game is that there are many favorite methods, tools, solvents, cleaners, sprays, brushes, lubricants, etc. employed by various shooters.   Most all of them work.   Some shooters are very dedicated to their own particular cleaning, lubricating, and storage methods and will argue that their particular method is The Best.  They are correct.   It is the best method for them.

You will develop your own techniques as you move along.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:14:23 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »
^Ditto.
I ended up on a Brownell's video set when needing to disassemble/ clean/ reassemble my old (new to me) Remington 1100.  What I figured to be a daunting task soon turned into- well, s&!t, that was easy!

I will say, I helped with a ladies firearm cleaning class with Practical Advantage FTC in Lincoln. Went well, but when one of the other guys decided to disassemble a Ruger Mark 3... off to youtube we went.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
I go to both YouTube and the Owner's Manual each and every time I field strip and clean my Mark III Ruger 22/45 semiauto.

(That's after a previous trip to the gunsmith w/same handgun, which I managed to lock up totally tightly.   Wuz too embarrassed to take it the second time.)

I can never remember where that odd bit (when you hold the 22/45 upside down in order to fiddle with it and get the hammer to flop over) fits within that entire complicated field stripping sequence.

Perhaps the alternative is to give the 22/45 the Glock treatment and never clean it.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:38:00 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
I became intimately involved with the innards of a Mk 3 when a student placed a loaded magazine in the gun - backwards - and then "tapped it home"...   

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »
never clean it.
sfg

You mean you have to Clean them ?  :o :P
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
I became intimately involved with the innards of a Mk 3 when a student placed a loaded magazine in the gun - backwards - and then "tapped it home"... 

One more example of creativity on the firing line.   About every third or fourth CHP class one of my shooters will load the cartridges into the magazine.....backwards.   And then load the magazine into the magwell.   

Can be kinda hard to do.   Even harder to remedy.   Try it sometime.

Not pickin' on anybody.    Just sayin' it happens.

...You mean you have to Clean them ?

This Forum Member really knows his Glocks.   And how to use them the way that Gaston Glock originally intended......

sfg