< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Veterans Day 2016  (Read 412 times)

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
Veterans Day 2016
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »
In memory of Herman Genrich and others on this Veterans Day.

"All Hell Can't Stop Us": Nebraska Soldiers Fight One of the Bloodiest Battles of World War II | netnebraska.org

http://netnebraska.org/article/news/924630/all-hell-cant-stop-us-nebraska-soldiers-fight-one-bloodiest-battles-world-war-ii

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Veterans Day 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
Excellent story. In my home town there are only 2 vets left from WW2. One from the Pacific Theater who was wounded twice, the other from Europe who served with the 137th that fought alongside the 134th for the duration of the war. Both are 93 now but in good health.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Veterans Day 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
Great story. Thanks for posting that for us.One thing that stood out to me was at the quote at the end for Major General Greenlief:

A few years before he died in 1999, Greenlief reflected on what he and his fellow Nebraskans accomplished during a speech at a reunion for the "All Hell Can’t Stop Us" soldiers of the 134th regiment. "We live in an age where people tend to forget the contributions of their forbearers," Greenlief said. "But in my view, it is important that we the American people never forget the price that men pay in combat to achieve whatever that national goal is."

I wish that wasn't so but the protests and attitudes from earlier this week really seem to indicate that it is so very true. Not sure how we can change it, but we need to make a change some how before we lose everything that you all fought so hard to protect for us.

I know there are a lot of veterans on this forum and I want to say "Thank you!" to each of you for the price you paid for us with your time, blood, and life. I hope I never waste what you did for me.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan