< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Debating with antis  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Debating with antis
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:57:35 AM »
As we all know, there are lots of pro gun websites, blogs, and forum boards to particpate on, and that is great. We all enjoy talking about guns and gun related issues with people who think along the same lines as we do. Aside from our own personal enjoyment, we need to participate in these discussions because it keeps the subject matter open and allows us to all remain informed and up to date on what's going on.

One thing that we must not forget to do though is to remember to spread the word in places that are not pro-gun specific. I know that there are many of you who are constantly our there fighting the good fight, and I thank you, but I just want to throw a reminder out there that all we are really doing when we are posting on pro-gun boards like this or any other board is "preaching to the choir". The only way to spread the truth about guns and gun ownership is to venture into "hostile" territory if you will. We need to try to educate the general public, because I believe most anti gun stances derive from simply being misinformed. It is by speaking to the masses that don't "hang out" on sites like this that we will make true progress.

There are all types of opportunities for us to speak directly to the "antis". There are general public forum boards, discussion areas on most newspaper and television station news sites, public meetings (government and school board meetings), etc. One of my favorite ways of striking up a conversation with people is by simply open carrying. While most people don't even notice that you have a firearm on your belt, there are opportunities to engage in discussions by occasional comments or questions from people, or even just by picking up on body language or facial expressions.

Below is just one of the various firearm discussions I got into on a non firearm site. I am actually going to take this person shooting for the first time as soon as it warms up a bit. I am "concealed carry" by the way. I thought I was posting a subject title, not a screen name.

http://www.plattsmouthsquare.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=157&func=view&id=76&catid=2&limit=6&limitstart=0

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Debating with antis
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
"Admin" seems to have lost your original E-mail with your contact info..... have you sent him another?

There's not any update to the Plattsmouth City Council's decision on CCW there either. Suspense is killing me.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
Thanks for the head's up, but yeah, I contacted him the other night.

I know, I can't wait to hear what the sub committee has to say.

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
It's funny you should bring this subject up. Some of you might not know, but I started a new job about a month ago in a very "corporate" world.

As we were all sitting around eating lunch today, one of the ladies that saw my resume brought up the subject of Nebraska Firepower. Asking "just what is that". I forgot where I was for a moment and started spewing information and statistics as well as the "gun free zone" problem etc etc etc.

When I stopped to take a breath, I looked around the table at the 4 middle aged women and one middle aged man and almost spit my soda out through my nose at the looks on their faces. Now that was priceless.

Not sure exactly what kind of impression I made, however it did open the discussion of the gun free zones and one of the ladies commented "I never thought of it that way, I had always just assumed that guns were bad". Maybe one more person is more aware?

We will see what tomorrow brings when they all go home to their husbands and say "you would never guess what we talked about today at lunch dear".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:47:26 PM by Jay »

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
What will be more priceless will be the looks on their faces when they check out this site tonight after you told them all about and see what you wrote about them. Nice.   :o

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »
Well just to report that no crazy looks today after my conversations yesterday.

We did not have a lot of time to chit chat as we were desperately trying to get our clients taxes done however two of the ladies and myself did have a brief conversation regarding the latest school shooting and the fact that all schools are a "innocent victim zone".

Eyes are opening!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »
Good Stuff!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »
Updates with the Plattsmouthsquare guy?

Offline Mulligan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:21:35 AM »
this is an interesting read .. (I had to try twice before I got through it, but it was worth it)

http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm

I'd always figured the grabbers were just stupid or uninformed. The idea that their irrationality is fear/phobia based kinda opened my eyes. I think making decisions out of fear is stupid but at least it's 'better' than making decisions out of stupidity alone.

Here's a good spot for data sources. I love arguing with people who's source is a forwarded spam email from some random source. :)
http://www.gunfacts.info/

nightraider717

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:49:37 AM by nightraider717 »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:50:02 PM »
Good Job, NR....... just keep it polite.  Some of these folks can not see the logic in our arguement: They live in a theoretical world ruled by emotion and feelings, as opposed to the real world we live in, which is ruled by physics and logic.  Arguing harder will not convince some of these...... people.  There are none so blind as them who refuse to see.

Offer to educate them about firearms- fight ignorance!  One tack to take, particularly with the "educated" set, is to ask them if they are safer understanding the subject at hand, or remaining ignorant and just spouting off uninformed opinions.

nightraider717

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 02:01:56 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:48:31 AM by nightraider717 »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
That's the way I see it.  Most anti gun people I know never even fired a gun, yet make assumptions, so I don't take them too seriously.

They MUST be taken seriously, because their vote counts exactly the same as yours.

nightraider717

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:47:46 AM by nightraider717 »

Hatchet1961

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 04:02:11 AM »
By the time I was done, the liberals in my class (about 3/4th of the class) were speechless because they were talking before how "all gun owners think they are John Wayne" as one student put it and I ended the argument on a peaceful and polite note.

Perhaps this same class could study the Legend John Wayne.

Myself, I would be honored if my name were mentioned in the same sentence as John Wayne.

John Wayne
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wayne was born Marion Robert Morrison in Winterset, Iowa

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 ? June 11, 1979) was an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award-winning American film actor. He epitomized rugged masculinity and has become an enduring American icon. He is famous for his distinctive voice, walk and height. He was also known for his conservative political views and his support in the 1950s for anti-communist positions.

In 1999, the American Film Institute named Wayne 13th among the Greatest Male Stars of All Time. A Harris Poll released in 2007 placed Wayne third among America's favorite film stars, the only deceased star on the list and the only one who has appeared on the poll every year.

nightraider717

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 06:25:03 AM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:47:01 AM by nightraider717 »