< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any one else have a problem with this?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Any one else have a problem with this?
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
Does any one else have a problem with the government collecting and keeping on record personal biological information (finger prints) for the purpose of obtaining permission to carry an object legal for every law abiding American to own? I have not commited, nor am I even suspected of any crimes and I refuse to be treated like a criminal without cause.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Any one else have a problem with this?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
Sure I do. You have the choice  of carrying concealed without a permit under the Affirmative Defense statute.

Many in this forum and in the NFOA have  made this choice.

Doesn't help much if you want to CCW in Texas or Colorado though, or any other state where the Nebraska permit is valid.

I am sure with your views, we can count on you to be a big supporter of the NFOA's efforts in rolling back the loss of freedom that has occurred in our lifetimes.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
Welcome JustSomeGuy.

These types of things won't go away by themselves. We have to get active and get rid of this kind of crap. This takes money and active involvement by thousands of gun owners.

Getting progun politicians elected, antigunners voted out, and non-leading fence straddlers shown the door are just a few of the things we need to accomplish every year. Just because your representative votes with us most of the time, does not mean we can't do better. We need to elect leaders, not followers. Tony Fulton and Mark Christensen are great examples of leaders in our state senate.

A new year, a new direction. Thanks for joining us, and bring in your friends, help us to grow and become more powerful.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
 Another problem in this state, Omaha in particular is Omahas' handgun registration for those living in Omaha. I did the conceal class and due to living in Omaha I had to sell myself out and registor my handgun. I shouldn't have to do that either as a FREE man.
 SBarry you are right on the money. Keep up the good work.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
So.... we disagree with this in principal but not in practice?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

Yes. 

Not much of a choice at this point, without breaking laws.  But, that doesn't stop us from trying to change those laws.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
But the same is true in my class III firearms permits have to have the finger prints and ID card from the police dept they say the trust bypasses this as well but before I knew this I had already undergone the process. I figure I am not losing my privicy on the account of serving in the Marines and they got the complete gambit of my personal info from tatoo's to scar's on my body as well as finger prints..... on the other hand if the Health Care that hussinobama passes the goverment will HAVE ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFO INCLUDING YOU BLOOD/and GENETIC FINGERPRINTS so as the world is coming to if your a democrat and you voted for the clown in your getting what his political party stands for more goverment CONTROL...Ok I vented and yes I feel BETTER.....

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »

Yes. 

Not much of a choice at this point, without breaking laws.  But, that doesn't stop us from trying to change those laws.
Open carry.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
Dan, could you expand a little on what's involved in Affirmative Defense?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »
Dan, could you expand a little on what's involved in Affirmative Defense?

IF you were to be arrested for CCW, and had not been engaged in any other illegal act, you could claim to have a "good excuse" or an Affirmative defense. You would have to convince a jury and a judge that you were justified in your actions. The specifics of the statute are below

28-1202. Carrying concealed weapon; penalty; affirmative defense.

(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person, such as a handgun, a knife, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon, commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

(b) It is an affirmative defense that the defendant was engaged in any lawful business, calling, or employment at the time he or she was carrying any weapon or weapons and the circumstances in which such person was placed at the time were such as to justify a prudent person in carrying the weapon or weapons for the defense of his or her person, property, or family.

(2) This section does not apply to a person who is the holder of a valid permit issued under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act if the concealed weapon the defendant is carrying is a handgun.

(3) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class I misdemeanor.

(4) In the case of a second or subsequent conviction under this section, carrying a concealed weapon is a Class IV felony.
Source

* Laws 1977, LB 38, ? 234;
    * Laws 1984, LB 1095, ? 1;
    * Laws 2006, LB 454, ? 22;
    * Laws 2009, LB63, ? 10.
      Effective Date: May 28, 2009

Cross References

* Concealed Handgun Permit Act, see section 69-2427.

Annotations

* In order to be a deadly weapon per se under subsection (1) of this section, the weapon must be one specifically enumerated in the statute. Whether an object or weapon not specifically named in the statute is a deadly weapon is a question of fact to be determined by the trier of fact, and the resolution of that fact question will depend on the evidence adduced as to the use or intended use of the object or weapon. State v. Williams, 218 Neb. 57, 352 N.W.2d 576 (1984).

* Whether an object or weapon not specifically enumerated in subsection (1) of this section was a deadly weapon is a question of fact to be decided by the trier of fact. State v. Kanger, 215 Neb. 128, 337 N.W.2d 422 (1983).

* Section 28-1202(1), R.S.Supp.,1978, combined with the definition of "deadly weapon" found in section 28-109, R.S.Supp.,1978, is sufficiently definite to meet the requirements of the first and fifth amendments to the U.S. Constitution and Art. I, section 3, of the Nebraska Constitution. State v. Valencia, 205 Neb. 719, 290 N.W.2d 181 (1980).

* When a person is charged with violation of this section, the State need not prove that a revolver or gun is operable in order to establish that it is a "firearm". The test is whether evidence of possession of a revolver or gun of prohibited description, which is in apparently good condition and has the characteristics and appearance commonly understood to be those of the firearm it purports to be, is prima facie evidence sufficient to go to the trier of fact in a prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon. In re Interest of Cory P., 7 Neb. App. 397, 584 N.W.2d 820 (1998).

* Any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles is per se a deadly weapon under this section. State v. Lewis, 6 Neb. App. 867, 577 N.W.2d 774 (1998).

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
Yikes....I don't think I'd want to take that chance.  Sounds to me like it would come down to who was the better lawyer - yours or the prosecutor.  I need to take a break from spending money on guns and get my CCW one of these days.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Does any one else have a problem with the government collecting and keeping on record personal biological information (finger prints) for the purpose of obtaining permission to carry an object legal for every law abiding American to own? I have not committed, nor am I even suspected of any crimes and I refuse to be treated like a criminal without cause.

Of course you're right. Vermont (of all places) and Alaska are the only 2 states that have it right- anyone that is not a criminal is free to CCW. No licenses, checks, classes or other nonsense. Ben Franklin said 'They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety' in this case 'Convenience' might apply instead of safety. Do I believe that? Yes. Do I always practice it? Sadly, no. I'm not always willing go through the hassle, expense and potential consequences of fighting city hall. As the abuses become more egregious that may change. In the meantime I attempt to change the laws within the system. We have made progress- slowly.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline DJPeter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
If it comes down to having to defend one self in court over these issues; Is there a list of pro-gun lawyers in the State of Nebraska a person could choose from?

I agree that we must pressure our representatives to broaden our rights and secure a free society based on the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. 
"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country".
James Madison

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
I found this on pro gun lawyers, can't vouch for it or them. It does show two in Nebraska, I'm sure there are more.

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/law/lawr_list.htm

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Yikes....I don't think I'd want to take that chance.  Sounds to me like it would come down to who was the better lawyer - yours or the prosecutor.  I need to take a break from spending money on guns and get my CCW one of these days.

Actually I kind of wished I hadn't done CCW and just went with affirmative defense.  If you carry concealed nobody should know you have a firearm anyway.  In the event you have to (justifiably) use it, well, you have an argument for why you needed it.

A couple reasons I'd prefer no CCW....no informing police you have the gun and a lessor charge if you carry in a posted area.

A couple of reasons I like CCW...State backing us against stupid city laws (ahemaha).  Oh and Reciprocity except that in the limited travel I've done since having CCW I've been in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and Minnesota.  So I've only been legally allowed to carry in 1/4 of the states I've been to.