< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OWH article on upcoming Castle Doctrine Bill  (Read 3461 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
OWH article on upcoming Castle Doctrine Bill
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100102/NEWS01/701029869

It's been dubbed the ?make my day? bill, after the oft-quoted line from a 1985 Clint Eastwood movie.

Others have called it a new version of Nebraska's 1969 ?shoot your neighbor? law.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: OWH article on upcoming Castle Doctrine Bill
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
As usual the media puts their spin on things and makes this look like the worst possible bill out there.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
Good read I will be contacting my senator and on a personal note I would like those opposed to place themselves as being the victim and hoping someone was armed and capiable of saving their life or those of someone they love abiet it would be a WHOLE different story if someone had the courage to save their life on the spot or would they be willing to sacrifice their life to keep the current law on the books. Without reprisial from the victims/familes of the BG...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
Well, I'm not surprised the article starts out biased right away.  We need to make sure the public is well educated on this, and we're not going to get any help from the news media.  How do we go about that?

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »
 I'm with ya on the part about the media bias. I will however be calling the World Herald tomorrow in an attempt to talk to the writer of the article. 402-473-9583,      martha.stoddard@owh.com
 It probably won't do any good but what the hell.
 Contact your Senator, educate your local governments and start talking to people.
 When people demonize us we can not just sit back anymore and let it go on without refuting the lies and scare tactics. This is how the leftist/Statist win everytime. They say something that's false then what do we do in general? We go buy more guns and ammo because we believe that they are going to take them away(which they want to do). But that's all we tend to do in general. We have to start speaking out. We can Not just let Brad Ashford, Abbie Cornet and Brenda Council lie about this stuff anymore. Fight fire with fire. Being complacent it seems is our enemy along with the Antis.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:22:43 AM by huskergun »
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
The "Shoot yer Neighbor Law" was another case of the MIB of the Nebraska Supreme Court stomping on the will of the People: That a victim of a crime was "punishing" a perpetrator of a crime by shooting him to defend him and his is utter BS.  Can't have the people fending for themselves, or any semblenc thereof, can they?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
I had a conversation with the Editor today, and will have a letter printed in the Pulse probably Friday.

I am also working to get one of their writers to attend my legal aspects of lethal force class later this month so they can learn the facts.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »
Good job, Chris!  That's exactly what we need!

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
I talked to the writer of the column today. She seemed to be confused about why I was upset with the way she started her column.
Chris I think Mrs. Stoddard (the writer) would love to attend one of your classes. 402-473-9583
 That's the kind of things we have to do. We have to engage the media before the anti's do. We have to explain the facts.
 Someone should write a column for the Midlands Voice section of the paper. I was able to get one published about 1 year ago. I don't think they'll let me do it again for a while.
 I'll have a pulse letter going out soon also.

Mrs. Stoddard did ask me if I knew of any cases where a legal gun owner was involved in a shooting and being sued because of his actions. I told her I would get back to her with that info. So if anyone would like to help me out with that it would be a great help.
Thanks
Rich
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
This is the biggest such case I'm familiar with:

http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
I submitted a letter for the Midlands voices, the Editor decided he would rather shorten it and run it in the pulse.

I talked to the writer of the column today. She seemed to be confused about why I was upset with the way she started her column.
Chris I think Mrs. Stoddard (the writer) would love to attend one of your classes. 402-473-9583
 That's the kind of things we have to do. We have to engage the media before the anti's do. We have to explain the facts.
 Someone should write a column for the Midlands Voice section of the paper. I was able to get one published about 1 year ago. I don't think they'll let me do it again for a while.
 I'll have a pulse letter going out soon also.

Mrs. Stoddard did ask me if I knew of any cases where a legal gun owner was involved in a shooting and being sued because of his actions. I told her I would get back to her with that info. So if anyone would like to help me out with that it would be a great help.
Thanks
Rich

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »
 Chris did you submit it to the editor of the pulse or the Midlands voice? They are 2 differant people.

Wallphone. She want's Nebraska cases. Thanks.

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »
If these folks would read The Armed Citizen for a week, it may soften their hearts and sharpen their brains. Reading these stories show how often citizens are attacked and how firearms gave protection.  ::)

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Chris did you submit it to the editor of the pulse or the Midlands voice? They are 2 differant people.

Only contact I could find for that page was pulse@owh.com so that is where I sent it. They forwarded my offer for a writer to attend class to the newsroom.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
  The Pulse Editor is just for the pulse.
Here is the Midlands Voice Editor for ya.
 Geitner Simmons    
Geitner.Simmons@owh.com

We had a few conversations regarding the column before he would put it in.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:13:22 PM by huskergun »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
That is who I talked to