< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Shooter Report  (Read 1557 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
New Shooter Report
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »
I took 5 New Shooters (3 New and 2 New to Handguns) to Cherry Creek Family Shooting Center in Denver on New Year's Eve! A Good Time was had by all.......

I have no pics of the kids, but I have this one of my 67 year old Aunt:

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

A-FIXER

Re: New Shooter Report
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »
Cool.... Jim how was the range looks like it was an outdoor one?

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
Three weeks ago she returned home after dark and was not greeted by her dogs as usual- she went to look for them, figuring they had dug under the back yard fence again.  She and my Uncle searched the fence for a hole..... and encountered one of the dogs (small Corgi), bleeding from several wounds...... and then found the other (large, overly protective mutt), very newly dead.  She heard a "rushing " sound in the fallen scrub oak leaves and screamed..... and caught the hind end of a mountain lion going over the fence not 10 feet away in her flash light beam.  The cat had partially eaten the dog, and had run past her  to get over the fence....... she has since decided  that a handgun is a more appropriate tool to confront large predators..... I suggested that a 20 guage shotgun with a load of #3 Buckshot would solve her problem.  She answered that "I can't carry a shotgun around to walk the dogs."  My Dear Aunt is gonna get a Carry Permit!

..... Sooooooooooo, she asked me to bring my handguns when I went to visit.

She liked my 22/45, but was disappointed that .22 rimfire would not make good Puma Medicine.

She hated the .357s..... unless loaded with .38's.  The big Colt she decided was too big to carry, and the 101 "bit" her- recoil was too much even with 125 grainers @ 800 f/sec.

She liked my EMP, but thought it was "out of my budget right now."

The pic is of her with my 5" 1911 clone.  She thought it heavy, but managable.

She is going to try to find time to shoot her son's Sig250(?) (she had no idea he carried until this "Cat Problem" came up!) and will try a couple of other 9's and a full sized .380 before making a purchase.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
Cool.... Jim how was the range looks like it was an outdoor one?

It was pretty good.  A little pricey-4 Adults and 4 kids, 2 lanes with no time limit ran us $100 even.  They had guns to rent 15 to 25 bucks, but you got 20 rounds with them..... we did not have time to shoot up all the ammo I brought.....

The range itself was pretty primitive- paper targets only, and the only distance available on the handgun range was 35 feet...... the range was clean, and efficiently run.  RO's were courteous and helpful.  I thought it was a pretty good day.

If you are in the Denver area and want to shoot:

http://www.familyshootingcenter.com/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:48:28 PM by JimP »