< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: LB 370  (Read 961 times)

Offline Eatfat1961

• NFOA Full Member
LB 370
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »
I am trying to find out more about LB 370 and what it means for gun owners. I have pulled up the bill and read it, but the legalese is a bit hard to understand. It appears it simply removes the requirement for individuals to require a CCP or PTP when selling to an individual. That sound right, or is there more to it than that?

Additionally, does this really expand our Second Amendment rights? I hold three CCPs and am an NRA Benefactor and Ring of Freedom member, so I am a 2nd Amendment guy. I believe part of that is the responsibility to do all we can to keep guns out of the hands of prohibited persons. I am struggling to understand if this bill helps or damages our cause.

Opinions and information will help me make a better decision. Thanks!

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
Re: LB 370
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
LB 370 wouldn't make much difference to me as a holder of a Nebraska CHP. All it would do is let me give or sell a handgun to someone outside my immediate family. Under the current law, lending (e.g. range or hunt) is legal as long as the borrower stays within view of the lender.

Three changes that would make a difference are:
  • State preemption of local ordinances which is a priority for NFOA.
  • Expand CHP to cover all weapons, not just handguns.
  • Correct the recent Nebraska Supreme Court decision which appears to make it illegal to carry any firearm inside a case within the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle unless you hold a CHP.