General Categories > Kids and Guns

Outlet for beginning shooting competitions or challenges

(1/4) > >>

Jarem08:
I got a Ruger 10/22 for my son to be able to use. My firearms (the ones my son calls, "Daddy's big guns  ;D" are a little too big for him to shoot. So I took him out the other day for continued education and shooting practice (he is starting to learn how to sight in a scope) and He did really good. His shooting, at about 20 yards or so, was about 5 shots in an inch group or so. While I know that this is not professional by any stretch of the imagination, for him, that was pretty amazing considering I have to help balance the front of the rifle! So my question is this, is there a place or a group or an activity that would allow him to go and not only practice with the rifle, but also be around other kids his age (with parental control of course) and get further help and learning on the rifle? He really enjoys it and while I am fostering a healthy care and respect for the firearm, I want Him to also know that it can be an enjoyable and healthy competition for shooting as well. Thanks.

m morton:
http://outdoornebraska.gov/huntereducation/ to get a hunter education certificates
per the site : other age groups are shown but i only copy part of one group ...

Students 11 to 15 years old may obtain their hunter education certificates through a minimum 10-hour classroom course or an online course followed by a two-hour Hunt Safe Session. The student must be 11 years old to take the Hunter Education test. Nebraska Hunter Education Certificates cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 11.

you did not post his age so take note of the last line..
some classes are 2 day and some are 4 day events and are located in many areas

Jarem08:
Your right. My apologies. He is 6 years old. I know that 11 is the youngest that they certify, so I unfortunately can't go there. I wasn't sure if there was just a group that met with their sons and allowed them to explore the shooting world in a safe format and still have that opportunity to learn with others their own age.

I know that the risks inherent in this could be insurmountable, but if the adults are firearm owners, I would hope that they were conscientious enough to know firearm safety and are teaching their kids this from the earliest age. At age three, I was already instilling in my kids that they do not go anywhere near my weapons (if I had them out cleaning) and they were not to play with my safe at all!

I have had locks on my closet to keep my children out but took it just one more step higher and bought a safe when they were starting to get very curious. With my keys hidden so they don't know where it is, I feel safer having my firearms in a readily accessible location.

Les:

--- Quote from: Jarem08 on February 06, 2017, 01:58:29 PM ---Your right. My apologies. He is 6 years old. I know that 11 is the youngest that they certify, so I unfortunately can't go there. I wasn't sure if there was just a group that met with their sons and allowed them to explore the shooting world in a safe format and still have that opportunity to learn with others their own age.

I know that the risks inherent in this could be insurmountable, but if the adults are firearm owners, I would hope that they were conscientious enough to know firearm safety and are teaching their kids this from the earliest age. At age three, I was already instilling in my kids that they do not go anywhere near my weapons (if I had them out cleaning) and they were not to play with my safe at all!

I have had locks on my closet to keep my children out but took it just one more step higher and bought a safe when they were starting to get very curious. With my keys hidden so they don't know where it is, I feel safer having my firearms in a readily accessible location.

--- End quote ---
Sounds like you're doing fine by yourself.  I know when mine were little there wasn't any group that dealt with that at that age.  Cub Scouts touched on it, but not for long and Girl scouts never dreamed of it. Hammer the safety home every chance you get.  Personally I always wanted to be hands on when it came to gun safety with my own kids.  Take the mystery out of it and you're less likely to have problems later as well.  It's not something you get out of one class, but never ends.  Just my own 2 cents. 

Jarem08:

--- Quote from: Les on February 06, 2017, 03:50:36 PM ---Sounds like you're doing fine by yourself.  I know when mine were little there wasn't any group that dealt with that at that age.  Cub Scouts touched on it, but not for long and Girl scouts never dreamed of it. Hammer the safety home every chance you get.  Personally I always wanted to be hands on when it came to gun safety with my own kids.  Take the mystery out of it and you're less likely to have problems later as well.  It's not something you get out of one class, but never ends.  Just my own 2 cents.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I have tried to explain everything to him as best as I can (it is fun trying to answer his questions about ballistics without going into pressures, headspacing, twists, etc  :D). I just didn't know if such a group existed and if so, where. I do want to get him involved in things when He is interested. He is getting pretty good at learning proper cleaning (albeit without chemicals) habits so I will add the solutions later. Right now, watching and even helping me when he can is exciting for him. I love watching his eyes light up when it comes time to pull the rifles out and clean them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version