< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ATF white paper recommends changes to laws/enforcement  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
ATF white paper recommends changes to laws/enforcement
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
Interesting- very interesting: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/02/foghorn/breaking-leaked-atf-memo-reveals-planned-pro-gun-moves/

A good first step. Of course the ATF (and the underlying legislation they enforce) all need to go away. 
Still progress is progress and we didn't get into this mess all at once so figures it will take some steps to dismantle it.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
Re: ATF white paper recommends changes to laws/enforcement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
This looks like a few steps in a positive direction.  Maybe ATF bureaucrats know how much patriots would like to just get rid of ATF, so in the hope of keeping their jobs they are making the agency more a friend than an enemy (or at least look that way).  Just a thought.

The definition of sporting purpose does not need to be changed.  What needs to change is that there should be NO sporting use language in any gun law.  If this was not obvious before the Heller Decision, that decision clarified it.  This kind of language is a dagger in the heart of the Second Amendment, and doing away with all of it should be a high priority.  This of course can not be done by ATF, and would have to be done by Congress.

I would think that if removing the illegal burdens on owning suppressors can be undone other changes that could be made just as easy would be removing the illegal minimum length requirements, and perhaps changing the definition of machinegun to one that fires more than three (or maybe five) rounds with a single pull of the trigger, so the militia can have burst capability.  And if a gun goes over that limit, the charge is a misdemeanor, like a speeding ticket for going a few miles over the limit.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
did you guys notice the date it was published?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
1/20/17
The same day the new boss took his Oath of Office.  Either they were relieved to get rid of Obama and couldn't wait to start making changes, ORRRRR they felt that a little brown nosing was in order before the new boss said "You're Fired (Sorry, I couldn't help myself as I was typing that out.)
Either way, that document was being prepared before Obama left office. They probably just went down the list of things they were told to do and did the opposite. Sure seems like it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »
Yeah, saw that the other day on a different site.  Cautiously optimistic...........but forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
I saw Dean Weingartens take on it before I knew anything more about it. I linked it below.

Basically, he sees it as an application for the top spot in the ATF.

I'm a little more skeptical.  Yeah, I think it's an application, but why? I think it's an "attempt" to show that not everyone there in high level positions is anti-gun, or complicit with things like Fast and Furious.  I think it's also an attempt to keep Congress from severely limiting their powers via legislation, so that when the next anti-gun president takes office, they can go back to the way things were under Obama.  Yes, I'm out on a limb with these suspicions, but I have no faith in the organization.

http://www.ammoland.com/2017/02/dean-weingarten-caption-idattachment_141893-alignalignleft-width200-dean-weingartencaption-arizona-ammoland-com-xxxplace-text-herexxx-2016-dean-weingarten-permis/#axzz4Y0hmi748