< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wild Hog Hunts  (Read 3361 times)

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
Wild Hog Hunts
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Has anyone done any hog hunting in OK or TX? I am thinking about going and was looking for some refrences to guides or outfitters or if someone knows of a private individual who would like some removed from the property. If anyone knows of guides or outfitters to avoid that would be great info also. Any help greatly apriciated. You can post here or pm me. Thanks

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Wild Hog Hunts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »
Gunscribe has hunted hogs in OK a bunch. Hopefully he will check in here
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
I'd like to know about some good hog hunting places too.  I've always wanted to go and so has my Father in law.  He's in pretty poor health these days so I'd love to take him soon before it's too late.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
oooH. id like to hunt some hogs.. Can I go ??

I went on a Hog hunt 10yrs ago, just west of Larado TX. Close enough to the boarder to see the Boarder patrol helcopters flying around at night :o
I went with a friend of a friend and he made me carry all of the heavy stuff :angry9: But it was a good time.

MMMM Bacon!!!!

FLUFF

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »
I strongly encourage everyone to hunt hogs, I have gone 3x in Florida and it is an absolute blast. Twice we used dogs- running through sugar cane and swampy marshes to catch-up is very exciting and then working for a clear shot while the dogs have the hog bayed up. The other time was from a stand over a feeder- a lot more like deer hunting, but there were a LOT of pigs coming & going, so got to look them over before shooting.

There is a small element of danger as hogs are cantankerous, it's kinda exotic for us in the Midwest and helps reduce the vermin (no hunting license required for hogs in Fla) so it's win-win and the meat was outstanding- especially the hog that lived in the sugar cane field, absolutely the best pork I've ever had. 

I'd also be interested in any info about hunts in OK/TX as it would make a great weekend hunt in the spring. I've read parts of East Texas are getting completely overrun with hogs.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
I have family in North Carolina and they complain about being overrun with hogs as well, sounds like they hunt them much like we do yotes not even concerned with the meat.

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
I have done some talking to some of my drivers that are from SE OK and they said the hunting is great. I called one ranch that was recomended and the cost is 300 for two days and two hogs everything included except food  and drink. They also charge 35$ to skin quater and hang in the cooler. when you figure gas and meals the cost for one person would be around 600$. They said average size is 200lbs so take home should be about 260lbs of pork for the freezer. Not to bad of cost when you consider what they get in the store for it, and there is no enjoyment in going to the store. So I think i might book for first part of march or maybe end of feb. If my hunting buddy backs out (which he usually dose) I might be looking for someone to go. I will post in the next couple of days if anyone is intrsted. It would help the cost of travel and stuff so it could actually be cheaper.

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:24 PM »
 I leave in 2 weeks for SE Ok. on a bowhunt for hogs. 10 of us going. will let you know how we do!

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
I have done some talking to some of my drivers that are from SE OK and they said the hunting is great. I called one ranch that was recomended and the cost is 300 for two days and two hogs everything included except food  and drink. They also charge 35$ to skin quater and hang in the cooler. when you figure gas and meals the cost for one person would be around 600$. They said average size is 200lbs so take home should be about 260lbs of pork for the freezer. Not to bad of cost when you consider what they get in the store for it, and there is no enjoyment in going to the store. So I think i might book for first part of march or maybe end of feb. If my hunting buddy backs out (which he usually dose) I might be looking for someone to go. I will post in the next couple of days if anyone is intrsted. It would help the cost of travel and stuff so it could actually be cheaper.

This sounds interesting, would you mind sharing the name/contact info for the outfitter? I wouldn't be able to go in Feb/Mar but maybe later in the year.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
this sounds like a lot of fun!  What is the best caliber for hunting hogs?
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
As far as the best caliber I've done some talking with outfitters and some individuals who have hunted them and it is really a matter of if your trophy hunting were you would shoot for the heart or lungs or meat hunting to shoot them in the head. They say heart or lung shots you want a heavy bullet to anchor them because they have a tendancy to be a bit on the owly side when wounded. The top sugestion I've had are the 30 cals for this. Meat hunting alot of these guys say the 223 or 243's are exelent as most of the shooting is within 100 yards. I think i will take my R15 and my 7mm mag just to have the bases covered.

Offline Josjor

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »
I went here last spring: http://www.redcreeknatureranch.com/index.htm

It was pretty dry last year so not a lot of hogs in that area then.  This year has had a lot more moisture so the hogs have increased in number.

We had a blast.  The lodge there is the nicest one I've ever been in.  Full kitchen, nice beds, very clean.  $150.00 for three days and two nights hunting.  Great folks and I'd highly recommend them.

You can use about anything of suitable caliber.  The ones we took were with a .204 and a 12g. slug.  Good eats, too.