< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is it normal for semi auto hand gun to throw spent cartrdiges backwards?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
I'm very new to shooting.  In fact I'm just shot two handguns both this week. A .22 pistol which I enjoyed. Don't remember model. And a Springfield XD mod 2 9mm which I didn't enjoy so much.  First off I had a harder time loading the 9mm mag than the .22 mag. Second the 9mm kept tossing the spent shells back at me. The .22 sent them away from me. Don't know if it was the gun or if I was doing something wrong. I was also more accurate with the .22. More holes lower on the target and to the right with the 9mm. In any case, I'm going to rent a revolver next week, see if I like it better.

Whatever I end up eventually purchasing I definitely need coaching.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
 some guns throw the brass back at you.. my ex wife had a real problem with that ,,  sometimes you can have the extractor adjusted so it throws it somewhere else,   and the sights may need to be adjusted.  if you get a nice group, but it is off center, just adjust the sights
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Depends on the ammo and the gun.  Teresa has an XDs 45 that when I shoot it will hit my glasses on the bridge of my nose.  For her it just barely misses her, flying over her right shoulder. 

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Could be the ejector.  My G23 converted to a 9mm has that issue.  Did a google search, and it's a fairly common problem. Could be any of the aforementioned too.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Used to have an M&P compact that would throw certain brands of ammo cases (mostly aluminum cased Federal) straight back at my wife but not so much when I shot it. So, try different ammo and make sure you are using a good, firm grip and see if anything changes.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
I'm very new to shooting.  In fact I'm just shot two handguns both this week. A .22 pistol which I enjoyed. Don't remember model. And a Springfield XD mod 2 9mm which I didn't enjoy so much.  First off I had a harder time loading the 9mm mag than the .22 mag. Second the 9mm kept tossing the spent shells back at me. The .22 sent them away from me. Don't know if it was the gun or if I was doing something wrong.

In addition to what people have already said, sometimes it is the combination of a specific gun and a specific kind of ammo.  (For example, some handguns will behave extremely differently in terms of ejection with Tula ammo versus Federal ammo.)

I was also more accurate with the .22. More holes lower on the target and to the right with the 9mm. In any case, I'm going to rent a revolver next week, see if I like it better.

Was the trigger on the .22 single-action?  (Something like a Ruger 22/45 pistol?)  The trigger on striker-fired 9mms (like the XDm and so on) is longer and has a higher pull weight than most .22  semi-auto pistol and as such, issues with trigger control will be much more obvious.

I'm going to bet that when you shoot the revolver, if you shoot it double-action you'll see the same sort of issue---because this is common for just about everyone new to firearms.  Good trigger control takes practice.  :)

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
The ejector pin on a Springfield XD hits the empty cartridge case at the bottom-left of the case head when the empty fired case is backing out of the chamber.

This ejector placement should normally spin the empty case around the extractor and send the empty case up and to the right.

It seems the ejector would need to be placed at the bottom of the empty cartridge case in order to spin it up and straight back.  However, a bent ejector or about a hundred different little variations in the handgun chamber or ammo could mess up everything.

Coupla Points:

1)   Gotta say it:   Always wear safety glasses   (Which--of course--you always do.)

2)   If you are helping a lady shoot your XD and the hot MT case goes up and straight back, then down the front of her blouse (which is actually quite common), YOU MUST NOT REACH IN FOR THE MT CASE, no matter how gentlemanly your motives.

'Nuff on that point.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:51:24 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
The ejector pin on a Springfield XD hits the empty cartridge case at the bottom-left of the case head when the empty fired case is backing out of the chamber.

This ejector placement should normally spin the empty case around the extractor and send the empty case up and to the right.

It seems the ejector would need to be placed at the bottom of the empty cartridge case in order to spin it up and straight back.  However, a bent ejector or about a hundred different little variations in the handgun chamber or ammo could mess up everything.

Coupla Points:

1)   Gotta say it:   Always wear safety glasses   (Which--of course--you always do.)

2)   If you are helping a lady shoot your XD and the hot MT case goes up and straight back, then down the front of her blouse (which is actually quite common), YOU MUST NOT REACH IN FOR THE MT CASE, no matter how gentlemanly your motives.

'Nuff on that point.

FWIW,

sfg
Indeed. LOL

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
Now this is said with only HUMOR in mind.  But was the shooter firing the weapon "gangsta" style?

Offline Kurt K

• NFOA Full Member
You said you're a new shooter, and new shooters usually have a problem with "limp wristing."  If you don't hold the pistol firmly in place, and I mean FIRMLY, the energy of the recoil will be taken up by your hands instead of letting the slide do its job of ejecting and chambering a new round.  When my wife started shooting, she had frequent jams while I had none.  If you watch Rob Leatham shooting an XD (check out YouTube), you'll see very little muzzle flip.  He crushes the grip.  I think if you do the same, the ejection problem will disappear.

Given that I load magazines embarrassingly slowly, I use a Maglula Uplula loader.  Once you use that, you'll load faster than the guy with steel thumbs.

As for gun accuracy, almost all guns are inherently pretty accurate; it's the shooters who aren't.  (Saying that, I'm staring at a Ruger LC9s on my desk that has a badly drifted front sight and has to get returned to be pinned in place.)  You can usually shoot better with one gun than another because you grip one better or because you like the sights better, and so forth.  I have a really cheap CO2 BB pistol with a horrid trigger that can hit little bullseyes at 7 yards no problem.

Offline Nebfamman

• NFOA Full Member
My gen 4 19 tosses maybe one out of every 100 rounds straight back. Most just bounce off my big bald head but both the wife and daughter have used their undergarments to catch the hot brass!

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member

Was the trigger on the .22 single-action?  (Something like a Ruger 22/45 pistol?)  The trigger on striker-fired 9mms (like the XDm and so on) is longer and has a higher pull weight than most .22  semi-auto pistol and as such, issues with trigger control will be much more obvious.

I'm going to bet that when you shoot the revolver, if you shoot it double-action you'll see the same sort of issue---because this is common for just about everyone new to firearms.  Good trigger control takes practice.  :)

The .22 was a S&W Victory, which is single action.

Well at least a revolver wont be tossing the shells at me.

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
I bought a revolver. I shot it Monday. Enjoyed that except the range over charges for ammo, so next time I'll have my own .38 special ammo. Had I know about Hiljack quick loaders (I just saw one in a video) I might have bought the .22 pistol.
-- George Mason